Fewer Thai Men Entering The Monkhood

camerata

Fewer Thai men entering the monkhood

ANCHALEE KONGRUT

The number of Buddhist monks and novices in rural areas has fallen sharply over the past four decades, a research study has found. Assoc Prof Channarong Boonnoom, of Silpakorn University's arts faculty, said fewer males entered the monkhood despite tradition giving high regard to monks. The tradition also recognises people who have been ordained as learned men _ a passage from being a boy to a grown-up.

According to Assoc Prof Channarong, the number of monks and novices per population in rural areas and also Bangkok has decreased by almost half. In 1963, there were 237,770 monks and novices when the country's total population was 28.07 million, or one for every 118.06 people. But last year the number of monks and novices was 313,267 among a population of 62 million, or one per 200. Worse still, many were elderly monks who were no longer active.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/24Nov2007_news02.php

The irony is they are now suggesting Thailand allow bhikkhuni ordination to make up the numbers. :o

Fewer Thai men entering the monkhood

ANCHALEE KONGRUT

The number of Buddhist monks and novices in rural areas has fallen sharply over the past four decades, a research study has found. Assoc Prof Channarong Boonnoom, of Silpakorn University's arts faculty, said fewer males entered the monkhood despite tradition giving high regard to monks. The tradition also recognises people who have been ordained as learned men _ a passage from being a boy to a grown-up.

According to Assoc Prof Channarong, the number of monks and novices per population in rural areas and also Bangkok has decreased by almost half. In 1963, there were 237,770 monks and novices when the country's total population was 28.07 million, or one for every 118.06 people. But last year the number of monks and novices was 313,267 among a population of 62 million, or one per 200. Worse still, many were elderly monks who were no longer active.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/24Nov2007_news02.php

The irony is they are now suggesting Thailand allow bhikkhuni ordination to make up the numbers. :D

:D All things are as they are.

I once read that those who enter as monks should not do so until they have reached an age and have had enough experience in life to want to enter as monks. Without that experience to guide them they were not ready for the life as a monk.

In my opinion, (however little that is worth) bhikkhuni ordination would be a forward step. Why should sex be an obstacle to those who seriously seek the discipline?

:o

It would be interesting to compare the total % of men who have entered the monkhood at any time compared to four decades ago, rather than just taking a headcount of the number of monks. While I'm sure it would still be less, there are probably more short-term monks now, as it seems common for young men working in companies to take the vows for just a few days or up to 2 weeks.

Agreed, KhaoNiaow, my experience has been that most of the young Thai men I know go in only for a few weeks. I would also be curious as to when this survey was made? If during Khao Pansa then it must come under some suspicion as alot of men won't ordain before Khao Pansa knowing that they have to be in for 3 months.

Why should sex be an obstacle to those who seriously seek the discipline?

Out of context it sounds completely different.

The type of body we recieve greatly affects what we can and cannot do, physically at least. I'd imagine it's not so difficult to find reasons why women should not be ordained.

These days women are out in the full force trying to prove that they are equal to men in all respects, but entering monkhood to catch up with the Joneses seems like a wrong reason. There are thousands praticing women out there who do not feel such a need, btw. Maybe we should learn from their example instead.

• 2 weeks later...
Why should sex be an obstacle to those who seriously seek the discipline?

Out of context it sounds completely different.

The type of body we recieve greatly affects what we can and cannot do, physically at least. I'd imagine it's not so difficult to find reasons why women should not be ordained.

These days women are out in the full force trying to prove that they are equal to men in all respects, but entering monkhood to catch up with the Joneses seems like a wrong reason. There are thousands praticing women out there who do not feel such a need, btw. Maybe we should learn from their example instead.

the ordained bikkhunis in other countries seem to do just fine. perhaps its best to ask them