Problems With Modem In Vista

wpcoe

I have a generic internal modem, identified as "PCI SoftV92 Speakerphone Modem" in my Vista Business desktop computer. For the first time in months, today I tried to use the modem to connect to a 56-k dial-up ISP, since some ports are being blocked by TT&T ADSL that I need to access a company mainframe computer.

Right-clicking on the modem in Device Manager, choosing Properties, and clicking on "Query Modem" on the Diagnostics tab results in an error: "The port that the modem is attached could not be opened. This may be the result of a hardware conflict. Check the device manager to verify all devices are functional." (On the General tab, it says: "This device is working properly.")

My first thought was that maybe this modem is not Vista-compatible, but then I remembered that during a Windows Update session I downloaded an updated driver for the modem. Wouldn't that indicate that it is Vista-compatible?

Next I went to the Advanced tab, clicked on Advance Port Settings, and noted that the COM Port Number was set to COM3. I wondered about that since I have no other COM devices. (There is a serial port on the mobo, but it is disabled in BIOS.) Regardless, I tried setting the modem to COM1, COM2, COM10, COM30 and even COM255, but still cannot query the modem.

Where do I begin to troubleshoot a COM port hardware conflict in Vista?

Have you checked that the Modem is correctly installed within the Device Manager?

On the other hand, PCI Softmodem having some compatiblity problems with Windows, I had draw a few away because of that!

Have you checked that the Modem is correctly installed within the Device Manager?

According to Device Manager, it is installed and working fine: no exclamation point or other symbol in front of the modem, and the General tab says "This device is working properly."

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm *pretty* sure I used this modem in a previous installation of Vista (I had to re-install Vista when I changed the mobo and processor) on this computer to send a fax. That's why I was wondering if there were a way to "uninstall" whatever Windows Update "updated" with my modem.

Ok, try to de-install the modem within the Device Manager by right click on the Modem and choose Uninstall.

After that directly restart the computer and wicows will re-install the "new" found Hardware. Just try to connect with modem or send a Fax> Let all settings as windows setup. Normally Modems are set to COM 3. Don't change that in Vista!

Ok, try to de-install the modem within the Device Manager by right click on the Modem and choose Uninstall.

Been there, done that. No change. :o

After that directly restart the computer and wicows will re-install the "new" found Hardware. Just try to connect with modem or send a Fax> Let all settings as windows setup. Normally Modems are set to COM 3. Don't change that in Vista!

Thanks for pointing out that COM3 is a standard for a modem. I haven't dealt with COM port settings for a modem since Windows 3.1, I think!

I still cannot connect with modem or query the modem via Device Manager.

I'm *pretty* sure I used to be able to used this modem in Vista in a previous installation. I had to re-install Vista after changing the mobo and processor.

I checked and actually there were TWO Windows Updates for the modem listed in Control Panel>Windows Update>View update history, but when I go to Control Panel>Programs and Features>Installed Updates they are not listed. Is there any way to delete those modem updates to see if maybe they are the problem? From Device Manager, the Rollback Driver option is greyed out, indicating that they were not driver updates, so what the heck were they?

Is there some console or built-in Vista utility that details COM port usage and assignments?

Update: I went to Windows Update Catalog and found two drivers for my modem. One, dated 5/4/07, was the one Device Manager showed as installed, and another dated 11/15/06. I managed to install the 11/15/06 driver, but it made no difference. I still can not query, much less use, my modem.

So, I'm still open to suggestions!

I think you'll need to check the Modem is still functional by testing the Modem in an different computer or use an other modem in your computer!

Sounds like the Modem is down! Anyway a new Modem cost app THB 300.00 that's all.

Hmmm, you may have a point there about the modem itself being kaput. I don't have another desktop system handy to test, but my next run to Tukcom, I might check out a replacement.

In the interim, I stumbled across an old friend: msinfo from a Command Prompt.

For Serial Ports, it shows:

Name							PCI SoftV92 Speakerphone Modem
Status						  OK
PNP Device ID				   PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2F00&SUBSYS_200414F1&REV_01\4&476FCB2&0&10F0
Maximum Input Buffer Size	   Not Available
Maximum Output Buffer Size	  Not Available
Settable Baud Rate			  Not Available
Settable Data Bits			  Not Available
Settable Flow Control		   Not Available
Settable Parity				 Not Available
Settable Parity Check		   Not Available
Settable Stop Bits			  Not Available
Settable RLSD				   Not Available
Supports RLSD				   Not Available
Supports 16 Bit Mode			Not Available
Supports Special Characters	 Not Available
Memory Address				  0xF8100000-0xF81FFFFF
I/O Port						0x0000D100-0x0000D107
IRQ Channel					 IRQ 18
Driver						  c:\windows\system32\drivers\modem.sys (6.0.6000.16386, 31.00 KB (31,744 bytes), 11/2/2006 3:58 PM)

And it shows the following using IRQ 18:

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939	OK
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C	OK
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936	OK
PCI SoftV92 Speakerphone Modem	OK

Could there be a problem with USB controllers on the same interrupt as the modem? And/or does anything seem unusual (other than all the "Not Availables") for the modem port settings?

Shouldn't be aproblem with the USB because USB use a different Channel than Modems and they can work on the same Interrupt.

No, I believe the Modem is "kaputt"!

FYI & FWIW, I stumbled upon a solution and it turns out my modem is fine -- it is a cranky motherboard!

I was reading a couple threads on AnandTech dedicated to my mobo and one fellow mentioned how his sound card didn't work properly when he had it in PCI slot 1, so on a lark he moved it to PCI slot 3 and - voila! -- it worked. So a little bell went off in my head and I moved my modem (which had been on PCI slot 1) to PCI slot 3 and it works just fine now.

It is entirely possible that merely pulling the modem out of slot 1 and reseating it may have done the trick, but I've spent too much time dealing with it to want to continue experimenting.

Actually, what I did was swap slot positions with my IEEE1394 (Firewire) card which had been in PCI slot 3. The Firewire card seems to function in PCI slot 1.

My whole reason for wanting to use the archaic modem was to revert to 56k dial-up access to avert port shaping/restricting on my 2.5MB ADSL connection to connect with a company mainframe whose software apparently uses ports that are affected. Now, I'm finding increasingly I cannot use Windows Live Mail to access my AOL e-mail accounts -- they cannot connect via my ADSL connection, but connect just fine via 56k dial-up. <sigh...>