Salt In My Orange Juice!

edwardandtubs

Today I went to my usual freshly squeezed 100% orange juice vendor to get my morning dose of vitamin C goodness and he announced this time he'd added salt. It was gross. As if the Thai diet doesn't have enough salt in they're adding it to orange juice now? What next - fish sauce and chili? I'm sticking to TipCo juices from now on.

Its normal to add sugar and/or salt to drinks in hot countries. Something about replacing lost nutrients.

Ok, this it explains it better:

"People living in hot countries and those who use a great deal of energy, such as athletes, lose more salt than the average person. This is lost through sweat in such large amounts that they can suffer from muscle cramps and heat exhaustion. Some athletes replenish the body's supply with salt tablets" source: www.saltinfo.com

Its normal to add sugar and/or salt to drinks in hot countries. Something about replacing lost nutrients.

Ok, this it explains it better:

"People living in hot countries and those who use a great deal of energy, such as athletes, lose more salt than the average person. This is lost through sweat in such large amounts that they can suffer from muscle cramps and heat exhaustion. Some athletes replenish the body's supply with salt tablets" source: www.saltinfo.com

Eating a normal Thai diet must give you at least double the recommended daily allowance of salt, even for a hot country. I think it's more to do with Thais having a "salty tongue" than the OJ vendors worrying about replacing their customers' lost nutrients.

Edited by edwardandtubs

The reason for adding salt in orange juice actually is to make the juice sweeter... since the little saltiness would help to accentuate the sweetness of the juice.. You can try it with Coke too. It works!

Edited by patri

Eating a normal Thai diet must give you at least double the recommended daily allowance of salt, even for a hot country. I think it's more to do with Thais having a "salty tongue" than the OJ vendors worrying about replacing their customers' lost nutrients.

How dare you cast such aspersions! All street vendors in Thailand are trained nutritionists with advanced degrees in organic chemistry and biosciences.

I think the reasoning behind the salt is one of balancing flavours.

Take a Thai cooking course and a great deal of the teaching addresses this need to balance sour/sweet/salty.

i like the taste when added to oj ,i eat pineapple with salt ,much more refreshing than sugar

I've been specifying "no salt please" when ordering fruit juices (esp. soury ones) for years. This might work for you too.

They add it to lessen the soury taste of certain juices, specifically lime & orange juice.

Similarly, they often serve salt (+sugar and/or chilli) with fruit. Same concept.

Love that word ! May I use it? :o

Why so outraged? It has been a long standing custom here to add salt to all kind of fruit juices and dishes, from OJ to "nam ma nau" to salt and chillie mix for sour mango etc. etc.

After a while you get so much used to it that you don't want to miss it anymore; happened to me.

I asked my Missus why they add salt. She said, to make it sweet. Ok, whatever, I just prefer is with salt.

I think the reasoning behind the salt is one of balancing flavours.

Take a Thai cooking course and a great deal of the teaching addresses this need to balance sour/sweet/salty.

Which they do by adding a handfull of chilli and MSG :o

Naka.