Crows In Chiangrai

chownah

• 3 weeks later...
I swear I heard a crow cawing yesterday.....I looked but didn't see it.

In Thai a pen is called a crows mouth....this makes me think that they have crows here.

Chownah

Are you digging are new moderator again, read the rules, they are ..................

Bird wise, no crows here, only Ravens-not, but i like the who, who birds. :o

In Thai a pen is called a crows mouth....this makes me think that they have crows here.

The better translation is Crow's Beak not mouth, obvious reference to the shape of the beak and nib.

Yes Thailand has crows - both native and imported

CB

The better translation is Crow's Beak not mouth, obvious reference to the shape of the beak and nib.

Yes Thailand has crows - both native and imported

CB

Well, the word you would say for pen is EXACTLY what you would say if you wanted to say "crow's mouth" in Thai. I guess it is correct to say that a crow has a mouth but has no lips for exterior features of the mouth but rather has a beak instead. In Thai there is a word specifically and unambiguously to indicate a beak...that word is cha-ngoy. The word for mouth is pak and what we English speaking people would refer to as a beak is also (in addition to using the unambiguous term "cha-ngoyi") referred to as pak-nok which is a conjunction of the word for 'mouth' followed by the word for 'bird'....and this is the same structure which would be used to show possession, i.e. bird's mouth. A pen is called a pak-ga which is a conjunction of the word for 'moujth' followed by the word for 'crow'....and this is the same structure which would be used to show possession, i.e. crow's mouth.

So as a translation?

I could say that a 'pen' is called a crow's beak...you could say that........ and likewise you could say that in Thai a crow's beak is called a crow's beak..but this is sort pointless and misses the flavor of what I was trying to say entirely which is the interesting fact that the construct is actually using the word for mouth as opposed to the existant unambiguous word for beak.

But.....if I was wanting to TRANSLATE the Thai 'pak-ga' within some context then I would certainly call it 'pen' or 'crows beak'....whichever was correct.....but that was not my intention.

I'm very wordy today....must be that time of the month.

Chownah

And since "gaa" has several meanings in Thai we can detour into other possible constructions such as "mouth of a kettle".

Did you know, I came across something the other day in a discussion forum that suggested that even we have beaks. Rather pointing out a distinguishing physical feature I´m sure but that means we can use beak for people in Thai as well. Wonderful isn´t it?

"Jong ooy" in Thai gives us 90.000 results in a search and "paak nog" only 7.600. Safest way to go around it is possible not to use a combination of the both, i.e the dictionary version. Only 300 results. That´s not chao baan at talk at all!