Visa Requirements

HI

I am currently a retiree in Thailand with an original O-A VISA that expired in Oct 17 07. My passport shows a stamp that allows me to stay here until Sept 08

Although I did have the required amount in the bank and a letter from my embassy showing funds I receive in the US

I have not met with anyone to confirm this $$$ status. I had a multiple entry visa when I left the US October 06.

I left the country most recently on a trip to laos -- The stamp of Sept 8 was given me when I returned from Laos on this date

So am I good till the 8th of September with no verification of income or need to meet with the Thai authorities??

The people at Chiang Mai immigration seem to think so??? English not so good though...

Second Question: I am thinking of returning to the usa for one year in June 08

Will I have to re-apply for Retirement Status? OR Can I somehow return by taking a leave of absence under my current status???

I heard the rule for income AND Money in a Thai bank totaling 800000ThB has changed for new retirees?? Is this true??

Now I understand one must have the 800,000THB in income.. Since I dont have this it will definitely affect my decision to return to the states!!!

Thanks to all

Walt :o

HI

I am currently a retiree in Thailand with an original O-A VISA that expired in Oct 17 07. My passport shows a stamp that allows me to stay here until Sept 08

Although I did have the required amount in the bank and a letter from my embassy showing funds I receive in the US

I have not met with anyone to confirm this $$$ status. I had a multiple entry visa when I left the US October 06.

I left the country most recently on a trip to laos -- The stamp of Sept 8 was given me when I returned from Laos on this date

So am I good till the 8th of September with no verification of income or need to meet with the Thai authorities??

The people at Chiang Mai immigration seem to think so??? English not so good though...

Second Question: I am thinking of returning to the usa for one year in June 08

Will I have to re-apply for Retirement Status? OR Can I somehow return by taking a leave of absence under my current status???

I heard the rule for income AND Money in a Thai bank totaling 800000ThB has changed for new retirees?? Is this true??

Now I understand one must have the 800,000THB in income.. Since I dont have this it will definitely affect my decision to return to the states!!!

Thanks to all

Walt :o

If you return to the states for one year you will have to apply all over again under the same conditions you did before, nothing has changed. Yet. Still need 800,000 in the bank OR 65,000 a month income.

You are good until September 8 next year. But any travel requires a re-entry permit to keep that date alive.

There has not been any change in Retirement extensions of stay amounts - it is still 65k/800k or combination - the only change is a requirement that the 800k (if using that) remain in a Thai bank account for the preceding three months at that level or higher.

There is no leave of absence provision - you can either obtain a new retirement O-A visa or an O visa (and extend for retirement in Thailand).

You are good until September 8 next year. But any travel requires a re-entry permit to keep that date alive.

There has not been any change in Retirement extensions of stay amounts - it is still 65k/800k or combination - the only change is a requirement that the 800k (if using that) remain in a Thai bank account for the preceding three months at that level or higher.

There is no leave of absence provision - you can either obtain a new retirement O-A visa or an O visa (and extend for retirement in Thailand).

Hi

Glad to hear the rules have not changed

I could renew the retirement visa in September for a year but I would be in the =USA for 10 months. Probably not allowed??

I guess the only option is to reapply in the US.

Thanks so much for the response

Walt

I am under the impression that you could enter Thailand without an O visa on a 30 day stamp or a tourist visa, and get to retirement extension status by doing the extra step, converting your stamp or tourist visa to an O visa in Thailand, and then the extension. The extension rules would still apply. Is that no longer possible? If so, isn't that news?

Hi

Glad to hear the rules have not changed

I could renew the retirement visa in September for a year but I would be in the =USA for 10 months. Probably not allowed??

I guess the only option is to reapply in the US.

Thanks so much for the response

Walt

There is no restriction on how much time you spend here or other places. There is also no restriction on starting over again either with a new OA visa from USA or using an O visa to extend your stay here. And for those spur of the moment moments you can even obtain the non immigrant visa in Thailand for and extra 2,000 baht if you meet the retirement conditions.