Shopping At Markets

shepsel

Does anyone know if there is a guidline of what is a fair price to pay for items at the outdoor and night market places?

For instance, what is a fair price for a tee shirt, shorts, sunglasses?

Many vendors will ask exhorbitant prices for their wares, and the bargaining is draining --and I don't know if I still get ripped off.

I was wondering if anyone has a guideline list of fair prices to pay for clothing and accessory items.

Thank you.

Quite basically, whatever amount you're happy to part with is a fair price. Then you'll find it so much cheaper 20 yards up the road.

If I'm bored enough to wander Silom Rd markets, I'll go the full length & back to compare prices. Whatever I'm happy to pay, then so be it.

I live in Pattaya and some of the vendors in the markets will just not sell for a fair price, instead waiting to fleece someone else. Today, that includes Thais who think the other Thais are not ripping them off. What rubbish.

Take those cheap linen shirts, with or without patterns. Now a fair price is a little over Bt100, though Bt100 would be great. Some places have them up at Bt199 but often more. 3 for Bt500 is often do-able but a good deal at 3 for Bt400 seems lost on them.

The trouble is that you have to actually know what the stuff costs or their approximate buy in price. No longer can you offer 50% of the ticket as that in itself may be 200% too much !

I remember years ago being on a beach in South Thailand with my now ex wife and I negotiated to buy this piece of silk for Bt500. Lo and behold she negotiated to Bt600 (english was not her first language). I gave the girl Bt600 laughing at and then with my wife at our combined stupidity.

Buyer beware seems to be the order of the day at markets anywhere. Shop around - there's always a number of stalls selling the same thing. I looked at some jewellery at a market in the Hot Springs region north of Chiang Mai last week. I thought I did well to bargain down from 2000 baht to 1100 baht. Thai other half talked the seller down to 400 baht.

Peter

Check out the prices in stores who display the price of an item. This will give you some idea. Then go to market check their 1st base verbal prices.

Personally my starting offer would be around 50% of the store display price or 50% of the verbal price ..whatever is the cheapest and negotiate up to around 75% but absolutely no more.

If they don't accept your final offer...walk away, walk away and you might find them saying OK OK OK!

It's really simple:

1. Ask for the price (preferably in Thai)

2. Ask for a discount (again in Thai, NEVER tell your own price before hearing seller's second offer if you don't know the real price)

3. Walk away and watch their reaction (they will probably offer a new price for you)

4. Repeat this for several stalls that are selling the item you are interested in

Difference between prices in steps 1., 2. and 3. should give you a good idea what is a real price. The bigger the gap between an initial and "walk away" price, the lower is the actual price.

About T-shirts: you can get a decent shirt in MBK for 100B probably without even bargaining.

even on the market goods do have a price tag - you might want to haggle, but it's humiliating to the seller and stressful to you. Better just walk around comparing prices.

Regular price for tshirts on market is from 70 baht - but I got my for 29 baht (you choose your pick from a pile of mixed up shirts thrown on the table - some of those items are not perfect, can't be sold on the shop shelf or the design doesn't go that well).

Buyer beware seems to be the order of the day at markets anywhere. Shop around - there's always a number of stalls selling the same thing. I looked at some jewellery at a market in the Hot Springs region north of Chiang Mai last week. I thought I did well to bargain down from 2000 baht to 1100 baht. Thai other half talked the seller down to 400 baht.

Peter

When I do the shopping thing (which isn't that often), I usually do a "loop de loop" of the market place to see what the prices are as well as listen in to hear what people are offering and refusing. It doesn't matter what you end up paying.........some friend / foe down the line will tell you they got it cheaper! :o

- you might want to haggle, but it's humiliating to the seller and stressful to you.

I disagree. Haggling is part of the Asian culture, and I have yet to find a vendor who is humiliated by haggling.

Haggling imo can be quite fun and actually relieves the stress of shopping.

Haggling is part of the Asian culture, and I have yet to find a vendor who is humiliated by haggling.

Haggling can be fun - so long as it is done politely - with a smile.

I was told it is impossible to haggle at supermarkets. I tried out this theory at Big C in Bangkok recently - I wanted to buy a refrigerator and a microwave oven - total price 9,500 baht. Tried to bargain - but was told could not.

Best I could get was a pair of sandals thrown in. :o

Peter

I was in Chiang Mai a few years back and wanted to buy several of the black/hand decorated jackets. While I was at the market with our group translators we stopped at a street vendor. I just picked one up and she said Bt1850. I asked her in Thai (smiling of course) "if she tought I was an ignorant foreigner, or what?" That coming from a reddish brown headed, blue eyed white rather took her by surprise. On my own I finally bought some for Bt780 each which was only Bt30 more than what two of the translators later paid. Learn the language well! In the long run it will more that cover the time and effort spent.

:D I bought a "Rolex" in MBK, from a stall .......2,500baht :o (55euro?)

I was on Holiday, and it was Raining so went into MBK for a look......

1; walked away after being offered watches, from pictures in a catalouge, for 10,000/15,000bht.

2; as I passed for 2nd time, they called me over, to show me "Real thing";9,000baht. They hastily hid the Goods when a "policeman" was spotted. I walked on......

3; Passing again, I approached them. They said come back later, as they were being watched.New price, 5,000baht. I said I would not be back.

4; Passing again :D they called me over. I insisted that I wanted to see Watch. After humming and harring, and furtivley looking for "policemen". Established final price; 2,500baht.

I'm sure there are those who will say they could have done better...... :D

But I enjoyed the bartering.

Have had the watch apraised by an "Expert"....and its a dam_nded fine Copy.

"Been there, done That...."

...... and had a Pink/Green Thai silk shirt made ...for 700baht :D

What you paid is ok as long as you are happy with your deal. Yes you may have done better I have got them for 1500 baht at mbk for some friends and took them to them in the US.

But is does not matter as long as you had fun gewtting yours, remember the girl at the booths there have to live to.

And you are right most of them are good copies. You did not make a bad deal

Sellers may sell at 'rock bottom' but they will never sell at a loss. That's the joy of buying at markets - you have the ability to (politely) haggle. I try to get the best price I can - that's only natural. Then - I call over my Thai other-half, who is out of sight at this stage - and he is always able to get a better price than me.

Peter

Thank you all for your replies.

I have been looking on other travel websites to Asia as well as Thai Visa, and I have been unable to find any threads on pricing of merchandise at outdoor markets. The replies are "basically offer what you feel is right". I thought it would be helpful if some research was done and posted that an item could be purchased at X amount in local currency.

For Instance

Tee Shirts ______Baht (average price)

Shorts ______

Sunglasses ______

Designer Replica Watch______

And go down a number of popular items, and list the price what Thai's pay, or what a "fair Price" should be without trying to rip off the Farang. It sure would make it less hectic and humiliating for both the buyer and seller. It would make the playing field a little fairer if we knew what the true value should be.

We all know that there are different prices for nationals and farangs in the National Parks, but if someone did research and post a comprehensive list of products at the markets, it would be beneficial to all of us.

Thank you all for your replies.

I have been looking on other travel websites to Asia as well as Thai Visa, and I have been unable to find any threads on pricing of merchandise at outdoor markets. The replies are "basically offer what you feel is right". I thought it would be helpful if some research was done and posted that an item could be purchased at X amount in local currency.

For Instance

Tee Shirts ______Baht (average price)

Shorts ______

Sunglasses ______

Designer Replica Watch______

And go down a number of popular items, and list the price what Thai's pay, or what a "fair Price" should be without trying to rip off the Farang. It sure would make it less hectic and humiliating for both the buyer and seller. It would make the playing field a little fairer if we knew what the true value should be.

We all know that there are different prices for nationals and farangs in the National Parks, but if someone did research and post a comprehensive list of products at the markets, it would be beneficial to all of us.

Those prices will depend on exact quality of the goods and it's difficult to tell accurate values. If you have never been in the country, you should visit department stores like Robinson, Central, etc.., prices there are already reasonable (and you can often get 5-10% discount).

Prices at outdoor markets in tourist areas are usually so inflated that you have to haggle a lot in order to get the department store price.

- you might want to haggle, but it's humiliating to the seller and stressful to you.

I disagree. Haggling is part of the Asian culture, and I have yet to find a vendor who is humiliated by haggling.

londonthai has never seen my mother-in-law then. She does not find it stressful in the least and if the guy feels humiliated, well he certainly hides it well.

Now, for my pet peeve here.

Bartering is not haggling the price down, it is not bargaining. Bartering is to trade goods or services without cash being involved. I give you my bananas in exchange for your fish. That is bartering.

So please, please for the sake of my sanity, do not use this word to mean bargaining :o

A lot of Asians make the decision to purchase first and then negotiate for the best price. In the west, we are more frequently taught to investigate the available prices and then decide whether to buy or not. When you mix cultures you can have problems. I have no hesitation to walk away but my other half would usually buy unless far too expensive.

:D I bought a "Rolex" in MBK, from a stall .......2,500baht :o (55euro?)

I was on Holiday, and it was Raining so went into MBK for a look......

1; walked away after being offered watches, from pictures in a catalouge, for 10,000/15,000bht.

2; as I passed for 2nd time, they called me over, to show me "Real thing";9,000baht. They hastily hid the Goods when a "policeman" was spotted. I walked on......

3; Passing again, I approached them. They said come back later, as they were being watched.New price, 5,000baht. I said I would not be back.

4; Passing again :D they called me over. I insisted that I wanted to see Watch. After humming and harring, and furtivley looking for "policemen". Established final price; 2,500baht.

I'm sure there are those who will say they could have done better...... :D

But I enjoyed the bartering.

Have had the watch apraised by an "Expert"....and its a dam_nded fine Copy.

You can buy them at Indra for 250 baht, that's where they buy them : ) or go to GuangZhou or Shenzen and pay 60baht which is what they pay : -) 2500....well well, you made their day ;-)

These markets might be good for the "cultural experience" but you'll always get higher quality products for a fairer price at Tesco Lotus or Big C and you won't have to stress yourself wondering whether you've been ripped off. It seems odd to me that people who probably wouldn't be seen dead buying clothes from a market in their own country are so keen to do so in Thailand. How many Thai people do you see with crappy cheap t-shirts that happen to have "Von Dutch" painted on thinking they're dressed in the height of fashion?

I enjoy haggling although it's more fun watching my wife do it. It make me smile watching her try to get an extra 20 baht off something that is already ridiculously cheap. But what makes me really laugh is watching people haggle and then they give a tip!