I Was Speeding Up And Down And

Nam Kao

As I understand it, the ultimate penalty is to have your car confiscated. Never seen or heard of it being done.

The drunk prat who hit me just before Songkran this year, causing considerable damage to car and minor injuries to body, was fined the princely sum of Bt.500- In the West, in all likelihood, he would have gone to jail, or at least had his license revoked.

Unfortunately drunk driving is one area where Thailand is still in the stone-age. What's more, there's no excuse for it - beyond male macho ego. I loath it, purely because, following the "Devil looks after his own" school of thought, the drunk driver is the least affected by the whole affair. I know in my case all he suffered was the loss of Bt.500- (an amount I paid more than for the privilege of being sent to hospital!).

Are you doing this speeding and drinking also in California?

That's your location isn't it?

Just because the law enforcement is not the same as in your home country, it does not give you a free ticket to drink and drive.

There is NEVER an excuse!

If you would hit me, I would follow you to the other end of the world if necessary, with one of those fancy (no cure no pay ) lawyers. :o

They did have a campaign a few months ago at Songkran.

They were actually breathalizing people but no blood test as follow up.

The limit is 60mg.

My son got picked up in Pataya.

It cost 1000 baht to save him a night in jail.

Since then it has all gone quiet again.

Typical Thai law enforcement

Edited by astral

Will get flamed here but I have been caught DDing in Thailand.

Paid an on the spot "fine".

Before anyone says would I do this in the west, I have, I got caught, I got banned.

I consider myself lucky that I never hurt an innocent bystander, never hurt anyone except myself. Learnt my lesson, would never do it again. Not because of the legal consequences, but because I could never live with myself if i killed somebody.

I was 18 then, so if anybody wants to flame me for a mistake I made as a youth go ahead, I probably deserve it.

Before you mention that I obviously never learnt my lesson, I was 18 on both occasions, Thailand and England. (The accident in England made me realise :o )

I saw a news article on one of the Thai TV channels recently, a driver was drunk along Sukhamvit and fell asleep at a red light, the police came and tried to wake him without success so they just pushed him to the side of the road and left him.

Locals said he woke up the next morning and drove off.

Wicked..

I saw a news article on one of the Thai TV channels recently, a driver was drunk along Sukhamvit and fell asleep at a red light, the police came and tried to wake him without success so they just pushed him to the side of the road and left him.

Locals said he woke up the next morning and drove off.

Wonderful ... I can just imagine it ... kept me laughing all morning :o

Goat Roper, fully agree. 2 (3?) years ago there was a big action. Even the chief of police said, for drunken driving they will not accept any bribe. :o

Every day showed people doing community service.

That's when I said, I don't want to be the first farang shown on BKK-Post front page, sweeping the road to government house.

Every day showed people doing community service.

That's when I said, I don't want to be the first farang shown on BKK-Post front page, sweeping the road to government house.

Then you`d get fined again for not having a work permit! :o

Somewhere in Thailand.

Farang, after consuming one bottle of gin (with tonic of course) and some beers to take away the thirst, becomes ghostrider, notices this and speeds up to find the next possibility to go back to the left side of the road.

Alas, there comes an old pick-up truck with four people in it. Boem! Frontally!

The four Thai people to the hospital. The farang simply home.

Next day the dealing: He has to buy the old totall-loss pick up truck for 95 thousand Baht. The 30 Baht scheme covers the hospital for the four wounded. And he gets a 400 Baht fine. That's it. His own car is however total-loss, which in Thailand of course is not total-loss.

O yes, his wife's brother is in the army and probably part of some mysterious faction. He did the talking.