Great American Rib Restaurant

Jingthing

For fans of this restaurant, I noticed a THAI LANGUAGE ONLY brochure offering something pretty good:

BUFFET of ribs, Buffalo chicken wings, and all the usual sides for 300 baht (probably plus plus) every Saturday and Sunday 12:00 to 16:00 through the end of 2007. That is daytime only.

I assume this is ALL YOU CAN EAT, so if you come hungry, this is a good deal.

Edited by Jingthing

For fans of this restaurant, I noticed a THAI LANGUAGE ONLY brochure offering something pretty good:

BUFFET of ribs, Buffalo chicken wings, and all the usual sides for 300 baht (probably plus plus) every Saturday and Sunday 12:00 to 16:00 through the end of 2007. That is daytime only.

Following you experience in Simon's Fish and Chip place, can we take it that you have checked that this offer is still current?

:o

Sounds good.

Out of intereset, I've always wondered what the 'plus plus' means on a set menu or buffet, can you shed any light please?

Not really except I am certain they will add 17 percent to the bill even if you raised the pig for the ribs yourself!

That would be 10 percent for service and 7 percent for tax.

As a can of Coke is 55 baht there, add 17 percent, and thats a pricey can of fizz.

Other than that, their everyday deals of "the feast" is pretty good too. Since they are among the best of breed for ribs in Thailand, I think they are overall a fair deal. I did hear the workers don't actually see that 10 percent money and I really hope that isn't true.

Edited by Jingthing

Following you experience in Simon's Fish and Chip place, can we take it that you have checked that this offer is still current?

I stand by my protest of the OUTRAGEOUSLY bad business practice I experienced at Old Simons. At least one other poster has agreed with me that the so called premium Icelandic cod sometimes doesn't taste like cod at all. You be the judge, I am banned for life.

Yes, at Great American, I verbally asked someone who didn't speak English if that is what you mean. Yes, it is still on said she assuming she doesn't say yes to everything. Haven't been there for it myself as yet. Anyone who does, please report back. If it is on, no coupon is needed. I did find it a bit odd that the promotion was in THAI LANGUAGE only though, but they do get alot of Thai customers.

Edited by Jingthing

I stand by my protest of the OUTRAGEOUSLY bad business practice I experienced at Old Simons. At least one other poster has agreed with me that the so called premium Icelandic cod sometimes doesn't taste like cod at all. You be the judge, I am banned for life.

Yes, at Great American, I verbally asked someone who didn't speak English if that is what you mean. Yes, it is still on said she assuming she doesn't say yes to everything. Haven't been there for it myself as yet. Anyone who does, please report back. If it is on, no coupon is needed. I did find it a bit odd that the promotion was in THAI LANGUAGE only though, but they do get alot of Thai customers.

Thanks Jingthing. I was just joking.

Thanks Jingthing. I was just joking.

No problem. I must still be quite traumatized by having that crumbled up coupon thrown in my face by Simon's waitress. Too bad this isn't the USA, could have sued for millions!

I wonder what Weho would have done?

Edited by Jingthing

Sounds good.

Out of intereset, I've always wondered what the 'plus plus' means on a set menu or buffet, can you shed any light please?

Tax and service charge isn't it? :o

As Jing says correct ++ means tax 7% and (normaly) service 10%. But if you see just one + that usualy means tax is included in the price and they'll add 10% for service, but I've only ever come across this single + in BKK resteraunts not yet here in PYX.

Sounds good.

Tax and service charge isn't it? :D

As Jing says correct ++ means tax 7% and (normaly) service 10%. But if you see just one + that usualy means tax is included in the price and they'll add 10% for service, but I've only ever come across this single + in BKK resteraunts not yet here in PYX.

correct, and the overall add-on is 17.7 % :o

Sounds good.

Not really except I am certain they will add 17 percent to the bill even if you raised the pig for the ribs yourself!

That would be 10 percent for service and 7 percent for tax.

As a can of Coke is 55 baht there, add 17 percent, and thats a pricey can of fizz.

Other than that, their everyday deals of "the feast" is pretty good too. Since they are among the best of breed for ribs in Thailand, I think they are overall a fair deal. I did hear the workers don't actually see that 10 percent money and I really hope that isn't true.

That alert on the 10% "service charge" was from me, JT. It was definitely true, as of a few weeks ago. I haven't been there since I confirmed that (heard it first from a server) with the manager. But I've been planning to go back to see if he had discussed it with the owners, and conveyed my message that it was dishonest to present it as a "service" charge, when it was, in fact, a "surcharge". BIG difference! I never minded the 10%, since I usually tip that much, and I LOVE the food, as well as the "American atmosphere" there. But that policy of giving only 2% of the service charge to the service staff really pissed me off!

I may now drop by tomorrow to check on that buffet, and also check on the current policy wrt the service charge.

From what I here they are lucky to be getting 2%. I think in most places this is just a way of justifying hiking the bill. I would imagine the waitresses are actually worse off as many people may be inclined not to tip/ tip lighter as they feel they have already done so in the 'service charge'.

From what I here they are lucky to be getting 2%. I think in most places this is just a way of justifying hiking the bill. I would imagine the waitresses are actually worse off as many people may be inclined not to tip/ tip lighter as they feel they have already done so in the 'service charge'.

Your last point is precisely why this pisses me off so much. The service staff is being screwed by the owners because of this lie. I know for a fact that there are many people who don't tip when there is a service charge, and rightly so. Even in the "tip happy" USA, it's customary to eschew an additional tip when there is a SC.

The first couple of times I went to Great American Rib, I didn't pay attention to the bottom of the bill, and didn't notice the SC, so I tipped. Then, once I did see it, I stopped tipping for the next several visits, prior to learning of the deceptive practice of the owners.

If anybody goes there, PLEASE discuss the SC policy with the manager - not the staff, the manager. Ask him directly how the SC money is distributed. (If it's still the same guy, his name is Kuhn Oy, and he speaks excellent English. He's personally a very nice guy, so don't take it out on him. The policy is from the OWNERS.)

I did find it a bit odd that the promotion was in THAI LANGUAGE only though, but they do get alot of Thai customers.

In my experience of restaurants in Pattaya it means that it's only for Thais and if you're a Farang (or even a Thai with a Farang) you'll be charged full price.

IT'S FOR REAL, AND IT'S GREAT!!

I just returned from Great American Rib, and I have fantastic news for fans of American BBQ. The lunch "buffet' for 300 baht is FOR REAL. Well, except, that is, that it's mis-named. It's not actually a buffet, in the "self-serve" style that we'd use for it. It IS 300 baht. It IS "All you can eat". And it IS very, very good.

If you can still make it there (the buffet option ends at 4:00 PM) GO NOW, and finish reading this later! I'll finish my comments in a "reply" post so that you can get going NOW!

I am one of those people who if there is a 10 percent service charge, tips either nothing or more often very little on top of that. 10 percent is a good tip in Thailand, and if that money is not going to the workers, it is a shameful practice. However, those ribs and wings are really good.

By all you can eat, I suppose that means you have to keep ordering more food from the waiters rather than grab it from a table? I prefer the table method because it is a little more discreet when literally pigging out, but, oh well ...

Edited by Jingthing

IT'S FOR REAL, AND IT'S GREAT!!

I just returned from Great American Rib, and I have fantastic news for fans of American BBQ. The lunch "buffet' for 300 baht is FOR REAL. Well, except, that is, that it's mis-named. It's not actually a buffet, in the "self-serve" style that we'd use for it. It IS 300 baht. It IS "All you can eat". And it IS very, very good.

If you can still make it there (the buffet option ends at 4:00 PM) GO NOW, and finish reading this later! I'll finish my comments in a "reply" post so that you can get going NOW!

OK, now that the guys who are ready to eat today are gone, here's the full story, for those of you who can put this on your calendar for next week. The buffet is on (at least for now) only until Dec 31.

When I arrived at about 12:30, and throughout my meal, I was the ONLY customer in the place. UNBELIEVABLE! A waiter, who spoke very limited English, approached, and I asked if they had the buffet. He said, "Yes, Sir", and pulled out seat for me. Looking around, it was clear that there was no buffet table set up. I said, "Where is the buffet". He said, "Buffet in kitchen. I bring to you."

I immediately got nervous about the whole thing. But, I ordered my drink (this place has the BEST frozen Margaritas in Pattaya! - Take it from a So Cal guy!), and waited. A few minutes later, the waiter returned with a serving of Buffalo Wings (8). Now, this was fine for me, since I love them. But, again, I was concerned about the "buffet" definition. I tried to relate to him that this was not a "buffet". He just started listing the items that were included. I gave up, and dug into the wings.

When those were gone, I had a moment, and I approached one of the waitresses to ask about that "Service Charge" issue. Again, poor English. She said, "Have to ask manager." I went back to my seat, and she headed off to the back. A minute or so later, she came back with the manager, a 40-ish Thai lady, who speaks fair English. I asked her about the destination/distribution of the 10% SC, and she assured me that it all went to the staff. I asked her when that changed, and she said, "A few weeks ago, the owner called me, and told me to give it all to the staff." I started to explain to her that I had complained about it before, because they were giving only 2% to the staff, and 8% to the owner. She said that she knew that; and that the owner had told her to change it. Now, obviously, I can't swear that this is true. But I also have no reason to doubt it. So, at least for now, I CANCEL that complaint, and suggest that everybody pay the exact amount on the bill, with no added tip. That's what I did today.

Back to the FOOD! The waiter delivered it as I was finishing my conversation with the manager. He set down a plate with 2 pieces of garlic bread, and some curly fries; then a plate with a side of cole slaw, a side of potato salad, and a side of baked beans; then a plate with 8 large pork ribs, 3 pieces of BBQ chicken (leg, back, breast), and 6 slices of pork loin. It was a LOT of food! I laid into it for a while, then called him over to, once again, try to go into the semantics of the "buffet" description. He still didn't understand, so we just smiled at each other, and I went back to the business at hand.

A few minutes later, the manager came into the restaurant area again, and I motioned her over. I began with a big smile, and a clear statement that everything was wonderful! Then I went into the "buffet" definition again. She began by explaining that they did it this way because they prepared each serving as it was ordered, so that it would be fresh. "That's very good", I said. "However, it does not allow the customer to choose exactly what they want, as they can at a buffet." I suggested (all smiles) that it would be better for the customers if they asked them what items they wanted, since some people may not like all of the items served. She said that they are supposed to do that. So, now I hope that I didn't get the waiter, a nice enough kid, into trouble!

In any case, if you go next week (and, if you're like American BBQ, you REALLY should!), be aware that there will NOT be a buffet table; and that you CAN specify what you want from among all the items I mentioned. Again, the total menu includes all of these, unless you request changes

* Buffalo Wings (appetizer, served first)

* Pork ribs

* Sliced pork loin

* BBQ chicken

* Garlic Bread

* Curly fries

* Cole Slaw

* Potato Salad

* Baked Beans

The manager assured me that they will bring you more of anything you want, and, of course, delete any item you don't want. They actually brought out more ribs to me, which I could not handle. They boxed it up for me to take home! (Also, of course, not "buffet style"; but who's complaining?!) :-)

Seriously guys, I give this promotional deal my highest possible recommendation, if you enjoy this type of food.

Who cares about them, they lost my business months back

for selling crap food. :D

Well, sorry guys. Scratch this place off your list. Anytime an Englishman tells me that an American BBQ place has "crap food", I'm done with it. :o

Serious update. That "buffet" deal is on BOTH Saturday AND SUNDAY! So, if you haven't had lunch yet, give it a try. Again, the hours are noon to 4:00 PM ("tea time" for our BBQ "cornersewer", plasticpig). :D

Not all of the menu items are exceptional (thats a polite way of saying it), but the wings and the ribs are top rate. Lots of good restaurants are like that, you just have to know what to order, in the case of a place called Ribs, not too much of a brain strain to figure that out.

Edited by Jingthing

Not all of the menu items are exceptional (thats a polite way of saying it), but the wings and the ribs are top rate. Lots of good restaurants are like that, you just have to know what to order, in the case of a place called Ribs, not too much of a brain strain to figure that out.

Agreed, JT. I'm not high on their pork loin. The pulled pork is OK, but not "exceptional". Same for the buffalo wings. I like both the pork ribs and the beef short ribs. I've never had a steak there. As you said, the specialty of the house is BBQ. And all 3 items in that category are pretty good, IMO.

Oh, I also like their baked beans side. Can't say the same for the cole slaw. Another plus for the chicken quesadilla, as an appetizer; but that "plus" is only because it's here. It is not even CLOSE to So Cal Mexican restaurant standards!

So why do you think they have done this buffet thing.

Would it be anything to do with the customers they lost

because the food went down hill?

The last time I was there you could have repaired my shoes with the starter.

So I don’t go anymore.

Is that ok with you.

Is that ok with you.

Totally, but just reminding people that many people love some of their menu, and I would like to see them do good business as I think they deserve it. Any business that provides stuff that some people love at a fair price and employs local people has got to be a good thing, except for the Thai pig community.

Edited by Jingthing

I have to agree with Plasticpig on this one. The last time I took the wife there, the ribs were so tough and dry that the wife and I looked at each other and said let's go. We had the remainder boxed up to take home to the dogs. We immediately drove over to Bob's and had a proper rib meal.

I also won't ever go there again after the incident whereby Mikethenavaroman was extorted for money by one of the female staff members over a minor accident in the parking lot.

Is that ok with you.

Totally, but just reminding people that many people love some of their menu, and I would like to see them do good business as I think they deserve it. Any business that provides stuff that some people love at a fair price and employs local people has got to be a good thing, except for the Thai pig community.

Ok, I haven't tried everything on the menu, they do make good Pecan pie, however they call themselves "Great American Rib Restaurant" and the ribs just don't live up to the name.