Why Do Farang Use The Words "western People"?

jumnien

I was just wondering why many farang in Thailand use the bizarre term "Western People" when referring to other farang. Some of the farang are from west of Thailand, but many are from east of Thailand, and still others from the north and south. It seems terribly ignorant to assume that all farang are from Europe, Bangladesh and other countries west of Thailand.

I was just wondering why many farang in Thailand use the bizarre term "Western People" when referring to other farang. Some of the farang are from west of Thailand, but many are from east of Thailand, and still others from the north and south. It seems terribly ignorant to assume that all farang are from Europe, Bangladesh and other countries west of Thailand.

I am sorry if generallly accepted terms elude you in your communication with others of your species but the rest of the world seems to get by fine with this - and that includes a lot of the Asians I work with (they even refer to our Indian colleagues as South Asians and the HK/Taiwan/China guys as East Asians)

We all seem to include Kiwi's and Aussies as wel as Euro's and Americans in the term Westerners too! "Western" generally mean Europe and the "New World" but I suppose Aus and NZ are southern "New Worlds" in a way and they do follow the western tradition rather than the eastern or oriental. Some might term them "Austral" though but i have never heard an Aussie describe himself in this way - "Ang Moh or Farang and Westerner" but not Austral ;-)

There is also "Western thought" and the "Western" world - pretty standard description and people have common definitions of these and are thus communiucated and understood.

Should we be using the term "Occidental" instead then?

I am sorry if generallly accepted terms elude you in your communication with others of your species but the rest of the world seems to get by fine with this - and that includes a lot of the Asians I work with (they even refer to our Indian colleagues as South Asians and the HK/Taiwan/China guys as East Asians)

We all seem to include Kiwi's and Aussies as wel as Euro's and Americans in the term Westerners too! "Western" generally mean Europe and the "New World" but I suppose Aus and NZ are southern "New Worlds" in a way and they do follow the western tradition rather than the eastern or oriental. Some might term them "Austral" though but i have never heard an Aussie describe himself in this way - "Ang Moh or Farang and Westerner" but not Austral ;-)

There is also "Western thought" and the "Western" world - pretty standard description and people have common definitions of these and are thus communiucated and understood.

Should we be using the term "Occidental" instead then?

I'm afraid Mr Jingthing is going to have his words. :o

Edited by meemiathai

Farang is a well understood concept well understood by any educated or uneducated person in Thailand.

I think if you are honest (which I doubt) you will admit that farang is more widely misunderstood. Anyway, have at it with this totally non-controversial and obvious topic. Might as well have asked if there are peanuts in peanut butter.

Edited by Jingthing

Farang is a well understood concept well understood by any educated or uneducated person in Thailand.

I think if you are honest (which I doubt) you will admit that farang is more widely misunderstood. Anyway, have at it with this totally non-controversial and obvious topic. Might as well have asked if there are peanuts in peanut butter.

the word "farang" is widely misunderstood by thais? you must be a bloody comedian, Mr Jingthing! :o

the word "farang" is widely misunderstood by thais? you must be a bloody comedian, Mr Jingthing! laugh.gif

Thank you.

I am opting out of this discussion. I think you all can handle this world shaker quite well without me ...

Edited by Jingthing

This topic doesn't interest me. Western is a well understood concept well understood by any educated person.

Exactly. Terminology like "Western world", "Westerners" is used all over the world not just by Caucasians in Thailand. If you want something interesting to discuss you should pick on some terminology that is more contentious: "Third World", "First World" for example. " Is Thailand plagued by a Third World mentality?", "Is it patronising to call Thailand a Third World Country?"...

There you go. Now you try.

This topic doesn't interest me. Western is a well understood concept well understood by any educated person.

Exactly. Terminology like "Western world", "Westerners" is used all over the world not just by Caucasians in Thailand. If you want something interesting to discuss you should pick on some terminology that is more contentious: "Third World", "First World" for example. " Is Thailand plagued by a Third World mentality?", "Is it patronising to call Thailand a Third World Country?"...

I will have a go :o

Third World as a term for certain countries has really been superceded now - Bhagwati, Wolf, Friedman, Stiglitz et al and others writing on globalism in the post Communist world do use different terminology now.

However - most people of a certain age and even most younger ones do have terms of reference when something is described as "Third World"

If I was writing an essay for my MBA or giving a presentation at work I would use the newer technical terms and even explain it to the audience

If I was talking with pals or writing on a web board such as this and talking colloquially I would use the term third world to talk about certain countries often in a disparaging way

Third World as a term for certain countries has really been superceded now - Bhagwati, Wolf, Friedman, Stiglitz et al and others writing on globalism in the post Communist world do use different terminology now.

However - most people of a certain age and even most younger ones do have terms of reference when something is described as "Third World"

If I was writing an essay for my MBA or giving a presentation at work I would use the newer technical terms and even explain it to the audience

If I was talking with pals or writing on a web board such as this and talking colloquially I would use the term third world to talk about certain countries often in a disparaging way

First of all, apologies, I just read my post and it sounded slightly patronising. Yes I find it interesting that Singapore which is now officially catagorised as "first world" has no qualms about using the term "third world" to describe its neighbours: "We are a first world oasis in a third world region" (Lee Kuan Yew). I wonder if Thai people know they live in a "Third World" country?

I googles "Duh" and no references to "Western People" or "farang" came up. I'll try a more sophisticated search engine and get back to you. Thanks.

Keep trying George... the googles does not cover all the internets... :o

Edited by sfokevin

I googled 'duh' and got the definition "Duh is an American English slang exclamation used by westerners and farangs that is used to express disdain for someone missing the obviousness of something." Guess you were using the wrong internet. :o

I recently handed in a piece of writing for an article and I had written Third World in relation to Africa etc and the editor changed it to 'Resource Poor' - not sure I agree with that either but do agree that Third World has run it's course

First of all, apologies, I just read my post and it sounded slightly patronising. Yes I find it interesting that Singapore which is now officially catagorised as "first world" has no qualms about using the term "third world" to describe its neighbours: "We are a first world oasis in a third world region" (Lee Kuan Yew). I wonder if Thai people know they live in a "Third World" country?

Living in Singapore I read a lot of of what old Harry Lee says, its reported slavishly.

Its a forebearing of what is to come when China is the strongest economic power in the world.

They like to give it out but can not take the criticism - look at the hissy fit this week when Peter Mandelson told a few home truths at the EU-China summit

As to the question refarding Thai people - well Bangkokians who know about thwse things think they are not living in the third world and they are not - those in the rural area's or slums are but they would not recognise it as such - do they not get told they are living in a Newly Industrialised Country?

Bhagwati says a developing country with a GDP growth rate of less that 6% per annum is a failure - hmmmm