Do You Hear The Word Farang Used By Thais In A Derogatory Way?

Jingthing

Do you hear the word Farang used by Thais in a derogatory way?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At the risk of being boring, I'd be genuinely interested to know how my experience earlier fits into the greater way of things

I haven't bothered reading this thread since the first few pages, but an experience I had today seems to meet the original topic.

Walked down our soi earlier this evening. Two little girls, 5-6 year-olds, walking the other way. "Falang", says one. "Mai chai" says the other, "Paw Mary" (พ่อ Mary - Mary being my daughter, of course).

Was the 'falang' derogatory? Would it bother you?

P.S. I forgot to mention earlier that if it bothers you, you should be flogged with a wet lettuce.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Well outline a sample dialogue (and not one that's preloaded with racist terms in English). Then those who can be arsed can ask their partners how this would sound in Thai and report back to you. Would that satisfy you? I'll run it past her in doors later.

OK, here is one.

Johnny (an Englishman) has been a friend of Somchai for two years. They are sharing a beer at Somchai's house. Lek, Somchai's friend (who also knows Johnny including his name) calls Somchai on his cell and asks What's up? Somchai says: Not much. Just having a beer with my FARANG friend.

Rude? Or not rude?

To me, it SOUNDS rude, but I accept this culture is so different there might not be an ounce of rude intention behind it. But I don't know.

HS, if this thread is closed before you have an answer, please PM me with the info. I am SINCERELY curious about this.

I'm willing to bet every penny I have that she's going to say that would not be rude but I'll be good to my word and ask. It certainly doesn't seem rude to me. I'm also pretty confident that anyone with even a minimal exposure to Thai language and culture is going to say that it's not rude.

Edited by HS Mauberley

I'm willing to bet every penny I have that she's going to say that would not be rude but I'll be good to my word and ask. It certainly doesn't seem rude to me. I'm also pretty confident that anyone with even a minimal exposure to Thai language and culture is going to say that it's not rude.

Why would a Thai person NOT say the person's name in that context?

So, if you ask her, and she says it was not intentionally rude, can you ask WHY a Thai person would do that and not use the person's name when known?

Edited by Jingthing

Why would a Thai person NOT say the person's name in that context?

So, if you ask her, and she says it was not intentionally rude, can you ask WHY a Thai person would do that and not use the person's name when known?

Why would a Thai person say the person's name in that context? The abstract point to make is that you seem to be starting from the position that your assumptions about language are the norm and that everything that is not in accord with your assumptions is deviant and in need of explanation but there exist brute facts about language and culture which simply are and which don't stand in need of explanation. The concrete point to make is that the way your dialogue (and in fact any dialogue) is structured forces readers to make background assumptions; in this case about the number of foreign friends Somchai and Lek have and the relevant intimacy of each with Johnny. I can certainly imagine a conversation in Thai following your dialogue and in which the use of farang is completely harmless but the background facts which structure that conversation may not be those which you have in mind. But anyway, I'll see my wife in a couple of hours and I'll let you know what she says.

Farang, you tink too mut!

The completely obvious assumption is that both KNEW the name.

It was a pretty simple question.

There is another assumption behind this. That Thai people do this quite often, say farang when they know something more specific. I want to understand why, as a tendency, this happens.

I am indeed trying to extract some GENERAL insight from a specific example. Sounds like squeezing blood out of an orange though.

Edited by Jingthing

I did not read throught this whole thread, but I have to say no. Do not be paranoid when you hear the "whispers" of farng farang. ususally they want hteir friend to look. Somethimes they are trying to guess if you are from the UK, Norway or America. Often it is an excitement. So do not hate it, just feel like a movie star.

The whispers that should offend you are the ones that are about your lady......

Is she a prostitute?

Is she an Isaan girl?

Did she meet him in Pattaya, Patpong or Nana.

That is where the negative talk comes in.

In my opinion, less than 2% of farangs speak enough Thai to respond accurately to this topic.

In memory of Rosa Parks and other non-Asian, non-farang people, I'm going to execute the final blow. Jingthing has had his day in the sun, in the stocks, a public flogging. He has managed to draw it out to 440 posts, and even the BSA Victor only got to 441. The horse is dead. Topic closed. Thanks for beating the horse. :o