Traditional Thai Massage In Pattaya

bl2

I get a 2 hr massage weekly for between 200 and 240 baht (for the 2 hrs) I usually tip 100baht. Is this

sufficient? I have been doing this for the past 3 years. What do TV forum members tip?

Thanks.

Not only is 100 baht sufficient, I think it's a little excessive.

If you go by the guidelines for tipping at restaurants, 10 or 15 percent is the norm.

When I get a massage, I give 50 baht max for a tip.

Unless the girl is really cute, in which case I might go up to 100 baht.

There's no need to tip. If you pay 200 baht you have already paid for the service. You don't need to pay an additional "service charge" for a service you've already paid for! If they wanted 250 baht for a massage they would charge you that instead.

Edited by edwardandtubs

If you go by the guidelines for tipping at restaurants, 10 or 15 percent is the norm.

Why would you tip more for a "really cute" girl? I'd save my bigger tips for a person who gave the best massage.

I get a 2 hr massage weekly for between 200 and 240 baht (for the 2 hrs) I usually tip 100baht. Is this

sufficient? I have been doing this for the past 3 years. What do TV forum members tip?

Thanks.

You're tipping too much. Think about it...you're tipping an additional 50%.

If you want to reduce your tip, you may have to find a new massage place because if you drop the tip now they'll be quite upset and think there is something wrong.

I allways give 100 Baht tip, that is if the massage was good.

What it normally is because i go to the same lady every time.

I don't care that in some eyes i give to much tip.

I love the way she smiles when i give it to her.

And i know she can really use the money and i know that i can really miss the money.

Why would you tip more for a "really cute" girl? I'd save my bigger tips for a person who gave the best massage.

You just don't get it, do you guy?

Don't forget to tip the hairdresser, doctor and dentist next time you go, especially if they're really cute. Some people really don't get it.

I will admit I don't tip the dentist and doctors. To be honest, I have never done that even back in the UK. For me that is strange :o . However, I would usually give a small tip at the Hairdressers in the UK (unless it is some very expensive place :D ).

And what is wrong with tipping the hairdressers when you go....???? If you are happy with your cut, if the girl washed your hair really well, knows how much I love a good head massage and always gives me one - why not????

I really do not think she earns an awful lot and I'm sure that 50bt means a lot more to her than it does to me. Plus, whenever I go she always knows what I like and massages extra without being asked. :D

In terms of Body or Foot Massage, I always tip when I have a massage - usually 50bt again. Seriously, I think these girls do a great job, imagine massaging people all day - mindnumbingly boring and they often work really long shifts. OUr local Healthland is open 10am till midnight.

At the end of the day, it's of course up to the customer. But seriously, I would not want to be so tight as to not give a small tip. :D Live a little, go on, you might enjoy it! :D

You just don't get it, do you guy?

No I don't, because we're talking about real massage here, guy.

what is it with these tip threads?

I had a foot massage in Pattaya last night, cost 200 baht. I tipped the girl 200 baht. so what............. she was happy and needs the money. plus she was cute.

everytime I get a hair cut I tip 200 baht, it garantees me a seat and great service even if they are busy. so my hair cuts cost me including tip 400 baht, its 5 times that in the UK.

ahhh wellll, it makes em happy. funny though, I wouldnt tip a bloke that much.

What about the women who work on the food stalls, working away day and night to get you the food you like? What do I pay them? A "mere" 25 baht. Should I tip them because they don't earn much and it means more to them than to me? I think these tips from the rich westerner to the poor underprivileged third word Thais is patronising and probably not as welcome as you think it is.

what is it with these tip threads?

I had a foot massage in Pattaya last night, cost 200 baht. I tipped the girl 200 baht. so what............. she was happy and needs the money. plus she was cute.

everytime I get a hair cut I tip 200 baht, it garantees me a seat and great service even if they are busy. so my hair cuts cost me including tip 400 baht, its 5 times that in the UK.

ahhh wellll, it makes em happy. funny though, I wouldnt tip a bloke that much.

Your excessive generosity is common with tourists on short holidays spending back home currency and not yet programmed to spend local currency. Been there done that.

If the above does not apply, then you're loaded with more money than you need...good for you.

Thanks.

Are you saying your paying 500baht for a 2 hr massage (50 baht =10%)....that would mean in the end

your paying in upwards of 50% more than me??????

There's no need to tip. If you pay 200 baht you have already paid for the service. You don't need to pay an additional "service charge" for a service you've already paid for! If they wanted 250 baht for a massage they would charge you that instead.

I hardly think the masseus owns the place and can set her own price.....much like a waiter cannot set your meal prices.

100 bht tip is the price of 1 beer. At home you wouldn't bend over on the street to pick it up and yes it is a half a days wages for a labourer but how many cute labourers do you see that you would want to tip? :o

Don't forget to tip the hairdresser, doctor and dentist next time you go, especially if they're really cute. Some people really don't get it.

I pay 80baht for my haircut and tip 20baht.....Doctors and Dentists, never use them, but I'll think that one over.

Factory workers do hard work for 12 hours/day @ 200 baht or less per day. Use that as measuring stick when tipping. 100 baht tip is approx. 6 hours of work for a factory worker!

Thanks for the reply...a good one.

Ok, now what do we really look at....hours worked, wages earned, amount of skill???

I know the ladies at this massage place get 2 massages during high season, maybe 1 during low season......and get

half the charge...so 100 +100 tip =200......maybe a 400baht day,if they have a good tipper. I would consider a masseus

a little more skilled, than a construction worker. What do you think Piker?

I allways give 100 Baht tip, that is if the massage was good.

What it normally is because i go to the same lady every time.

I don't care that in some eyes i give to much tip.

I love the way she smiles when i give it to her.

And i know she can really use the money and i know that i can really miss the money.

What do you pay for a massage....do you tip 100baht, regardless of price or hours worked? I know a guy who tips

100baht after a 1HR, 400baht foot massage. he's tipping a smaller % than me....but twice the hourly rate.

I know the ladies at this massage place get 2 massages during high season, maybe 1 during low season......and get

half the charge...so 100 +100 tip =200......maybe a 400baht day,if they have a good tipper. I would consider a masseus

a little more skilled, than a construction worker. What do you think Piker?

Just a few thoughts.

Someone advertises a service at a certain price, so why should we care how much that person makes in a day? Is it our responsibility to make sure every business we frequent turns a profit...or that no one starves in Thailand?

Some people think it's because the masseuse is "cute", so don't tip the ugly ones then.

If construction workers were as skilled as masseuses I'd be better off sleeping outdoors then.

I hardly think the masseus owns the place and can set her own price.....much like a waiter cannot set your meal prices.

That has nothing to do with it. She's chosen to work in a massage parlour where it's her job to massage customers for 200 baht. The massage parlour sets its prices to be competitive with other massage parlours in the area offering a similar service, with similar masseuses in similar surroundings. You pay for the massage, you get the massage. If it's good you become a repeat customer and the masseuse earns more money. Thai people don't tip in these places, only clueless farangs with nothing better to worry about than the comparative earnings of Thai masseuses.

Some people think it's because the masseuse is "cute", so don't tip the ugly ones then.

Now you're starting to get it, guy. :o

No, sorry guy, I still don't get it. Tell me why a "cute" massuse sould get a bigger tip than an uglier one?

Edited by tropo

No, sorry guy, I still don't get it. Tell me why a "cute" massuse sould get a bigger tip than an uglier one?

It's called flirting.

Call me a flirt.

I like to flirt with cute women.

It's called flirting.

Call me a flirt.

OK guy, you like to flirt with your massage therapists, but what's that got to do with tipping? Wouldn't that be considered buying attention?

It's called flirting.

Call me a flirt.

OK guy, you like to flirt with your massage therapists, but what's that got to do with tipping? Wouldn't that be considered buying attention?

No, I don't think of it as buying attention.

I like to think that I've already got her attention.

I think of it as more of sending her a message, "I like you" or "I think you're cute"

A message which she usually understands.

I'm sure if you ever took a survey, the better looking ones probably get better tips in general, just like with hot bar waitresses in the West.

Not only that, but I tend to enjoy the massage much more if it's a woman that I'm attracted to who's massaging me.

So the massage in my books tends to be better too, whether she's more skilled than others or not.

I'm in BKK, not in Pattaya, so I can't speak to the Thai massage business market there.

But here in BKK, the massage business is tough, especially if the shop is actually doing real Thai massage, as opposed to some other things (which have their own price structure). :o There's a ton of competition, way more ladies than customers most times, and at most shops, a lady is LUCKY to have a couple customers in an entire day.

If they don't live nearby their work and their shop closes late as many do, they might need to take a taxi home because Skytrain and MRT are closed by then. So, if you figure a couple customers a day (and some days with none) times the lady's share of maybe a 300 baht massage, you're not looking at big money under any circumstance.

So, tips become a very important part of the lady's earnings since they basically don't receive any salary per se. If you have a regular shop and/or lady that you often frequent and they treat you well, a 100 baht tip to me is a reasonable thing. As another poster noted, it's the price of about one drink at a bar. For maybe 2 hours of real work on her part, something that hopefully leaves you feeling fine, it's a pretty small thing.

Back in Los Angeles, any Thai massage shop is charging rates between $45 and $65 AN HOUR... So, to have a two hour massage here from a lady who takes good care of you, I think paying 300 or 350 baht ($10 U.S.) including tip is a pretty good deal.

I can't think of too many better ways to spend 100 baht that are any better for you. And the lady, if she's any good, will truly appreciate it.

There's no point comparing prices in Thailand to prices in Los Angeles or the price of a tip to the price of a drink. Prices are set by supply and demand. There are obviously plenty of women prepared to work as masseuses for 200 baht an hour and enough customers to meet the supply. If you're feeling like giving away money are there not more worthy causes than massage ladies, who really don't do that badly for themselves? How about giving the money to a worthy charity instead, like malaria research or AIDS orphans? Do you really think massage ladies need the handouts?

And anyone who thinks giving a woman money is a way of flirting with her has a lot to learn about women.