Talipia

jaideeguy

I've had most, if not all the Thai variations of talapia recipes and do enjoy them, but would like to try some western versions. Talapia is a bland fish that lends it's self to flavors and i think that it has some potiential other than Thai taste. does anyone out there have any recipes with western flavor that they would like to share??

thnaks in advance......

My sister makes a really delicious tilapia in parmesan.

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons butter, softened

1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1/8 teaspoon dried basil

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon onion powder

1/8 teaspoon celery salt

1 pound tilapia fillets

Directions

Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.

In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.

Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.

Makes 4 servings.

There is also a sauteed tilapia recipe but I've never tried that one:

Tilapia Parmesan Saute

4-6 Tilapia fillets

1 Tbls. olive oil

¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 Tbls. parsley flakes

2 Tbls. butter

1 Tbls. lemon juice

1 tsp. garlic powder

Mix Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, parsley flakes; set aside. Heat a large saute pan and add olive oil, butter, and lemon. Saute fillets 2-3 minutes per side until white and flaky. Sprinkle cheese mixture on fillets and saute each side for another minute, then serve. Makes 4 servings.

is tilapia what they call snapper in Thailand? If so take soy sauce and mirin in a 2/1 mixture, throw in some chopped green onion and garlic and a pinch of sugar (optional) and pour the mixture over the fillets in a bowl and put in the fridge for half an hour. Cook stove top with the mixture turning once until flakey.

This can be used with most bland, soft fleshed fish....works a treat here in the Gulf area with the local hammour.

(I got the recipie from a japanese-american chef wearing a fantastic pompadour while we were sitting at the bar inna beat, now defunct restaurant in Monterey CA about 35 years ago...the circumstances were chandleresque so the dish has gotta be western...western north america, that is...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Just had this recipe last night, that i found on google and it was a nice change from the wife's thai steamed with thai herbs version.

Cashew Encrusted Tilapia

Recipe #2590491 rating

Flaky, nutty, semi-healthy & simple! I got it from my sister's fiance who's a chef at a restaurant. Really good! These are estimate measurements, chefs usually eye ball it! Serve with a tropical sauce, ex: mango, papaya, coconut, or pineapple sauces or salsas. Serve with steamed veggies and/or rissotto.

by Kitty Kat Cook | Edit...My Notes

Requires Premium MembershipMy Notes

ONLY YOU see your private notes, and they print with the recipe.

4-6 servings 30 min 10 min prep

Change to: servings US Metric

6-8 tilapia fillets (mahi-mahi, orange roughy works too)

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups plain breadcrumbs

3 large eggs

2 tablespoons milk

1 1/2-2 cups unsalted whole cashews or unsalted crushed cashews

salt and pepper

Not the one? See other Cashew Encrusted Tilapia Recipes

< 30 mins Main Dish

Tilapia Main Dish

Preheat oven to 350°F, line a baking sheet with foil and spray non-stick spray.

If using whole cashews, pulse in a blender or food processor until crushed.

Mix the cashews with the bread crumbs, set aside. Mix the milk and eggs and beat together in a medium bowl, set aside. Mix about 1 tsp each of both salt and pepper into the flour, set aside.

Prepare an assembly line with the three mixtures by putting flour mixture into a shallow plate, and the bread-cashew mixture in another shallow plate.

Work the fillets one at a time by flouring each of the fillets and shaking off the excess. Proceed to submerge the floured fillet into the eggs and then covering with the bread crumb-nut mixture; repeat with the remaining fillets.

Place crusted fillets on baking sheet at least an inch apart. Insert into oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Eat fresh.

not having a proper oven, i litely oiled a teflon pan and cooked it on a slow flame for 20 min until flakey. slow flame or you will burn the cashews before the fish is done.

also found out that the local market fish vendor will expertly descale, gut and filet the fish free....saving a lotta mess and easier to store.