Ubc

tuky

UBC  

214 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

AT the moment the only english channel I can get is reality zone.

So...UBC yes or no???

What are you experiences?

Is it worth it?

I want to watch Discovery, some movies, history channel, I am not too worried about about anything else, I just want the above mentioned.

WHat do you think I should do?

(BTW I used to be able to get 10+ english channels with PTV, but slowly they have been repleced by gaming channels or similer and I am now left with Reality Zone only)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no interest in soccer, so the sport thing is not an issue.

However, how could it be worse than having Reality Zone only?

Are there any other options?

I just want to have a movie or two on if I want, but mostly I like to see that shows on Discovery and History etc.

I do spend a lot of time in other Asian countries so I am used to the Discovery/everything else programing, is UBC broadcasting the same as other mobs in other countries? or is it progaming decided by the Thai whoever that controls this stuff? ie when Discovery says it is showing such and such on X day will it be sown in Thailand too? or does UBC play around with it?

you should be able to make this decision without our help, letus know what you decide.

Thanks mate, I will make the decision only I have heard so many bad things about UBC here on the internet that I just want to confirm I can get the educational programs that I want.

You say you like Discovery and the history channel

But I can tell you this, if had to listen to one more repeat of

General Sickles <deleted> leg I would fly to the states and

nick it from the museum and burry it with him in Arlington cemetery.

UBC will drive you mad.

Edited by plasticpig

I am a stay-home-movies kinda guy, and I am disgusted at what I have to pay to get any decent movie channels in English. If you have money to burn, go for it.

WE TV in Chiang Mai has 4 pretty good movie channels - at least 2 in English - and BBC and CNN and costs about 300 baht per month.

I buy a lot of TV series on DVD, so I am more than happy. :o

You can have a look for yourself, Tuky! :D Get the schedule here: http://www.truevisionstv.com/schedule/down...ubcschedule.zip

I just watched one of my favourites: "Big Cat Diary" on Animal Planet. Another is "Meercat Manor" - great stuff!

Yes, the movies are often old, and often repeated - e.g. "The Thing" with Kurt Russel is on, now, again, on Cinemax.

But then, "The Good The Bad And The Ugly" is on at 8:00 on MGM, so that's a good'un.

I'd say it was very poor value for money, but it's a virtual monopoly in a developing country, so what can you expect? It doesn't compare with the UK's Sky TV, although I don't know how much that is these days. They seemed to be going over to a lot of pay-per-view when I left the UK.

I fork out 2,155 baht a month for Platinum, so it's probably cheaper than going to the pub :o

Get a decent DVR to to with it. That way you can record stuff that is on when you're not around, or asleep. Quality's not great, but the movie variety beats what can be found in the bootleg DVD stores even in BKK. I wish I could boycott UBC, since there is probably a mafia element to their monopoly - how else to explain that my local cable company can't find a way to compete? - but it's the only way to get CNN, so I grit and bear it.

Edited by Upcountry

I added a poll, but please keep your advice coming.

Surely UBC has to be better than what I have at the moment, I mean I ony have one English speaking channel, so even if UBC repeats itself I will be better off right?

I guess I'm bucking the trend here, but I have UBC Gold package and am satisfied with it. On my 42" Plasma screen it can look quite good with some movies. Yes, I think it is over priced but since I can afford it and my options are limited will stay with it. Sometimes you get pleasantly surprised with good movie releases and other times it's a bit repetitive. CNN/BBC/Discover/National Geographic I watch regularly. I would certainly say better then what you currently have.

AT the moment the only english channel I can get is reality zone.

So...UBC yes or no???

What are you experiences?

Is it worth it?

I want to watch Discovery, some movies, history channel, I am not too worried about about anything else, I just want the above mentioned.

WHat do you think I should do?

(BTW I used to be able to get 10+ english channels with PTV, but slowly they have been repleced by gaming channels or similer and I am now left with Reality Zone only)

I have the Platinum package for UBC, and I have to say I am very disappointed and becoming more so weekly.

There are far too many repeats on ALL channels.

As a major sports fan, the service has deteriorated since True took over.

The information on programmes is forever wrong. Today as an example supposedly according to their website there was supposed to be an FA cup game starting at 2055hrs. WRONG, they decide to show a game kicking off 45 minutes earlier with no notice on their website/

I also loke American Football. When True took over the games shown went from 4 to 2. I complained and they said that a contract had already been signed and sorry can only show 2 games per week. Yet according to their website, this week they are showing 3?????

Its better than nothing, but I am looking at alternatives, one which appears to be JSAT TV. More expensive but a bigger choice

Why vote? Pay 1600 a month for about 3 to 4 games of FOOTBALL!

The rest is crap anyway! Worth it? No, but couldn't live without it!

Unless you are talking about Aussie rules footie then I am not interested in sports, but it is out of season for the real game, any other football is a waste of time if you ask me.

Is Jsat legal?

I have heard some bad things regarding this, upgrades are not forthcoming etc...

All I want is to have some TV for when I am not working on thaivisa or when the other half is trying to hold a conversation (I guess even soccer would do at that point).

The website looks as though they have some good choices.

I have spent the last (too many) years working is countries that do not have any english programs so I think I can adjust to seeing repeats.

Is UBCthe only choice?

I cut my UBC two years ago. Waste of money & (apart from history & discovery chaneels) don't miss it at all. Now I spend the 1500B per month on 10 -15 movies per month that I never get to watch because someone always "borrows" them & I never see them again.

I cut my UBC two years ago. Waste of money & (apart from history & discovery chaneels) don't miss it at all. Now I spend the 1500B per month on 10 -15 movies per month that I never get to watch because someone always "borrows" them & I never see them again.

Yeah, but is the history & discovery chaneels worth it? that is all I want, plus a movie or two.

Value wise it's not good at all but I keep it for History, Discovery and BBC channels with the odd game of football too. My Thai wife actually really enjoys the History channel with Thai voice over, says she's learned a lot.

BTW, I heard a few years ago that UBC's charter bans them from running commercial advertising. If that's the case then I can understand why it runs so many repeats, no advertising, no real income. Does anyone know if that's correct?

I'm visiting the US and the HDTV broadcasts are phenomenal! I'm glad Thailand has such crap TV or I'd never get out and enjoy nature and exercise! I can't wait to get back on Thursday!

I've downloaded HDTV versions of TV programmes and played them on my PC. They sure look good - better than the TV!

I had UBC on a promotion for 4 months when I bought the receiver and dish. Like my football and golf but have decided not to pay UBC's current rate. I can go and have a good game of golf locally for the price.

Downside is now have to watch the channel 7 soaps in the evening with my 'big boss of house'

As a newbie to living in Bkk I have looked at the various offerings on Sat and I have to say I was totally underwhelmed by them all.

Trying to get information about what is available is like wading through treacle. As an example I was asking about football (all done in Thai by my wife) and the salesman whose only job was to sell this system and he was wearing the t shirt!!! told me that I would only get UK premiership football. He was adamant about this, this was whilst he was showing me the Uraguay match on tv at the time!!! I did point this out but decided that gnawing my own head off would actually be more satisfying than waiting for the reason.

So no sat for me instead I go to the 2nd floor of MBK to Thai Dee and buy DVD's. 6 for 500 and generally the quality is first class and the choice is awesome (esp series). With new stuff I always ask whether the quality is good or not and they always tell me. So I don't ever come home with rubbish. When one of my Deadwood discs did not work they replaced it immediately. So far this week I have watched American Gangster, Waitress and the new Tarantino double bill for less that a bottle of Singha in Soho!

So 1000 a month for films and off to the pub for the footy and my wife can watch her series in peace while I play me guitar! Life ain't so bad!

(BTW I used to be able to get 10+ english channels with PTV, but slowly they have been replaced by gaming channels or similar and I am now left with Reality Zone only)

Current PTV English-language line-up

Soundtrack Movie - movies 24/7 consisting of DVD's of everything from currently-in-the-cinema movies to classics to grade B movies

Stream - movies 12h/day

Fox News

BBC News

Al-Jezeera News

Thailand Outlook

Fashion Channel (admittedly not much language is used)

Zone Reality

Sports (not sure of its affiliation as I don't watch it much as it shows a heck of lot of cricket and football)

MTV

Channel V

VH-1

Boomerang (cartoons about 1/2 English and 1/2 Thai)

Australia Network (not really English language I suppose, but it's pretty close post-9005-1196655891.gif )

DW-TV (about 1/2 English and 1/2 German)

Arirang (Korean channel broadcast entirely in English or at least sub-titled when it's not)

NHK (a fair amount of shows in English on this Japanese channel)

17 channels (organized in order on my TV) for 250 baht/month

Edited by sriracha john