Term Times Over Songkran Holidays

Soph

Hi, just wondered if anyone could clarify. I know that government schools have approx 2 months off at this time - so could anyone give me an idea of dates.

Also are there exceptions to this ie: international schools, private schools, additional lessons in the government schools etc etc.

Thanks in advance, Soph

Govt. (elementary and secondary, prathom and matayom) schools (and most Thai private schools) are out from mid March to mid May, all of Songkran. International schools, no; they go by British or American standard year school calendars, published months in advance. E.g., one international school near my house has "Spring Break" from April 5 to 20.

Most hiring is done at this time: the Thai schools at the last moment; the international schools several months in advance.

Some Thai schools have 'summer school' or summer camps during the long break, when it's 43 degrees in the classroom and a few classrooms are filled with 39 remedial, unwilling students.

It also depends on why you are asking. The school schedule for the teachers and for the students may be quite different. We do not get the same breaks as the students. There is always a summer session and some teachers (foreigners) have to be at the school at all times.

So, if your asking for yourself, it's one answer. If your thinking about your children, it will be different.

Thanks for the replies on that guys. The reason I ask is because I need to find a school to do a study for one of my International perspectives assignments for university. I was hoping to do it in a Wat/Government school but I also can only come during Songkran/Easter so that puts those out of the question. No worries though, have some links to an international school, so will base it around that.

Cheers, Soph