Plug Converter For First Timer From Usa

maxbus1

I knew this was coming, but I never found out what type of plug converter to bring with me to Thailand for my laptop and camera and shaver stuff I'm bringing on my extended trip to Thailand.

Basicly, I have only a few days to pick one of these up. I'm concerned mostly about the laptop, and any surges it may incounter.

Do I need a simple prong adaptor, OR do I need a device that REDUCES the voltage, and then a prong adaptor?

Can someone suggest a certain model number of your basic device that will work on the everyday basis for my vacation, and staying with the wife's family?

I found something online and its called "TA-50A Transformer". Is this what will work?"

Thanks so much, max.

p.s. would a radio shack have one of these?

Edited by maxbus1

I knew this was coming, but I never found out what type of plug converter to bring with me to Thailand for my laptop and camera and shaver stuff I'm bringing on my extended trip to Thailand.

Basicly, I have only a few days to pick one of these up. I'm concerned mostly about the laptop, and any surges it may incounter.

Do I need a simple prong adaptor, OR do I need a device that REDUCES the voltage, and then a prong adaptor?

Can someone suggest a certain model number of your basic device that will work on the everyday basis for my vacation, and staying with the wife's family?

I found something online and its called "TA-50A Transformer". Is this what will work?"

Thanks so much, max.

p.s. would a radio shack have one of these?

Many devices can handle US voltages (110-120) and Thai voltages (220-240). The laptop & camera will likely handle both, just check the writing on the adapter and see what it says for input voltage. The shaver is probably 110v only. You'll almost never need a plug adapter, nearly every thai outlet and powerstrip i have seen can fit the US style plugs. The only possible exception would be 3-prong grounded plugs, but adapter are available here for those as well.

Radio Shack does have a small inverter 'brick' that can power the devices that are 110v only, but it can only handle about 50 watts.