Flashdrive Data Recovery

sensei

I seriously think that my 2Gb flash drive had just given up on me.

I've been using it for around a year now and it just died on me without any warning.

The tiny light that used to blink when I plug it in doesn't do so anymore.

I can hear something rattling inside when i shake it. Quite unusual for a usually quiet device.

Is ther any way to get my flashdrive running again? At least for a few minutes so I could copy all the data in there?

Thanks,

Sensei

Edited by sensei

I never heard of a flash drive failing, (or rattling for that matter!). I have one that is possibly 4 years old and has been through the laundry twice without losing data.

Just for the sake of it, have you tried plugging it into another computer? If that fails i would probably take it apart to find out why it was rattling, (don't try this at home).

Other than that, i have no other idea except to suggest for future flash drives you only use them for temporary storage, (i.e. transfer from one computer to another).

You might try the electronic repair shops in Panthip. Could be the USB adaptor has come loose or failed; eventually they do with countless insertions. It's best to use a short USB extension on your USB sticks so that you are always plugging in the extension, not the stick itself.

You might try the electronic repair shops in Panthip. Could be the USB adaptor has come loose or failed; eventually they do with countless insertions. It's best to use a short USB extension on your USB sticks so that you are always plugging in the extension, not the stick itself.

Thanks J.

Fortunately, after a number of trial insertion and a lot of shaking it just sprung back to life. I then quickly did a backup of the data in there.

Thanks for the response and for that wondeful tip.

Sensei

I never heard of a flash drive failing, (or rattling for that matter!). I have one that is possibly 4 years old and has been through the laundry twice without losing data.

Just for the sake of it, have you tried plugging it into another computer? If that fails i would probably take it apart to find out why it was rattling, (don't try this at home).

Other than that, i have no other idea except to suggest for future flash drives you only use them for temporary storage, (i.e. transfer from one computer to another).

Thanks for the response nidge. I'll keep that in mind. Temporary storage. That's what it should be. I did plug it in into another computer, still didn't work. No worries, I got the data back when it sprung mysteriously back to life. From this time onward, it will just be a temporary storage. Thanks!

Glad you got the data back. Now throw it and get a new one otherwise you are guaranteed it will happen again!

Yeah!

(sensei hails a tuk-tuk and goes to pantip)

500 Baht to Pantip Plaza? No way Jose! I'd rather walk!

And, oh! Thanks again nidge!