Go-go Bar Opening Ceremony

astromash

The description of the curious ceremony below is from the Fool In Paradise column in the latest Pattaya Today newspaper. Does anyone know any more about this ceremony? Has anyone else (apart from the columnist) witnessed it?

When I first read it I thought it might be a joke. But "she bends down and throws the remaining liquid between her legs and out onto the street" - I think I once witnessed this when stood outside a Soi 6 bar.

"I take up my usual seat. It is the start of the first shift and I'm the first customer. The dancing maidens who showed up for work on time - all six of them – present themselves on the stage for viewing by the crowd – me. But I don't mind because I'm not in the mood to flirt and I'm watching the girl prepare to perform the 'opening ceremony'. I don't know if all Go Go Bars do it but anyone who turns up right on opening time may be privileged to witness a special ritual which, I guess, is performed to bring luck to all the ladies present.

"One lady will strip totally naked, even removing her boots or shoes, and walk three times anticlockwise around the bar or stage carrying a small bowl of water, wine or whisky. While she does so, the other ladies each grab a plastic or wooden bin cup and tap it rapidly it against any hard surface. It sounds like a hundred woodpeckers renovating a teak forest. The naked nymph carries the bowl in one hand and a phallic device in the other, dipping it into the liquid and sprinkling the other ladies each time she passes by. When her three circuits are completed, she heads to the front entrance where minders check outside. Once they give the 'all clear', she bends down and throws the remaining liquid between her legs and out onto the street.

"I have often wondered about the origins of this quaint ceremony as I very much doubt it has anything to do with Buddhism. It is more likely to be of Indian origin and belong to one of their thousands of ancient Gods or Deities. Whoever revised this sacrament or rite for use in our modern day and age, I tip my hat to them. There are a lot of ancient traditions and customs that deserve to be lost to antiquity but this is not one of them. To the God or Deity who originally dreamed it up, if I was to be a believer in any religion at all I think I'd pick yours."