I Need Some Kind Of Power Supply For Outtages...

Weho

I have decided that I need to take control and be more prepared for power outtages... There is lots of construction going on, and I want to be able to run a small electric fan, a laptop computer, maybe a desk lamp too. It would be great to run a refrigerator too, but i can live without that.

There is a small gas powered generator at Home Pro for like 22,000 baht, seems like a lot... looks like it has, instead of an electic plug, one of those car cigarette lighter plugs... not sure if it's 4 amps, or 2 KVA, whatever that is... it's made by Honda.

Then they have these U.P.S. computer battery back up things, that I'm told are like 3,000 baht, and might do the trick. What's the difference/advantages/disadvantages?

Are there cheaper generators? A friend told me these UPS things make annoying beeps... how do i get one without the beeping?

Are there any other ideas?

Oh, and the BIG generator at Home Pro was like 44,000 baht, had a bigger gas tank, and had a few plugs, but that seems like a lot...

Please, no comedians.

Time and power. The generator can supply power as long as it has gas, the UPS uses a re-chargeable battery and normally only 15-30 minutes. The generator also generally has more power output then the average UPS. The UPS has the advantage that when power fails it takes over immediately with no power drop out, important for computers. The cheap generators require manual starting, the more expensive can auto start and switch over, but still will have a brief power outage during this time.

If you are in an apartment, you will have problems with exhaust fumes and 'fussy' neighbors'. :o

3000 Baht gets you about a 500-650VA unit, expect to pay significantly more for 2kVA UPS units.

Did you try Home Works and/or the new place a few hundred yards north of Pattaya Klang (Boontavorn??? sp?)?

You might also check with some small Thai electrical shops. If they don't sell them, they may be a good source for a tip on where to get one at a "Thai" price.

I thought the UPS ones lasted like 5 or 6 hours... i was about to buy one last night... glad I didn't... I don't care about power interuption... the issue is I need at least a few HOURS to run a fan and light, at a minimum...

I'll try that Thai hardware store, sort of across from Carrefour, going toward the beach... they seem to sell EVERYTHING, and they are real nice in there...

But if I DID go the UPS route, and only used a small fan, like an 8" size fan, how many hours do you think it will run?

Speak to one of the electricians here, believe elkangorito has done work locally before, work out the power output of the generator you need and have it wired into the fusebox as per the link I pm'd you. You only need it to run a circuit or two, certainly not your air-con or water heater. If your power cuts out go start the generator. When it comes back on the generator will cut out automatically