National Parks And Entrance Fee's

Sledge71

No, the most sensible thing they could do would be just one price for all.

Just like when you buys your noodles. Or would you consider noodle vendors sensible too when they charge locals 20 baht but 100 baht for you?

Just like when you goes to see a movie. Or would you consider Major Cineplex Co. sensible too when they charge locals 100 baht but 1000 baht for you?

Just asking.

Edited by chanchao

I can confirm that the confusion continues. 2 days ago I was at Chae Son, which is supposed to be a level 2 park according to the new rules (200 baht for foreigners). When I got to the entrance I was told the entry fee was 400 baht. I mentioned that I have a Thai driver's license & work permit, in Thai of course, and the guard told me that now it doesn't matter. But then he pointed at me & my two friends visiting from the US & said "200, 200, 200. Student price."

Anyway, Chae Son is a wonderful park & if you can stomach the double pricing, I'd say it's worth a visit.

Actually "common sense" would dictate that no change be made and that they continue charging farang 400 Baht at the biggest and best parks. If the fees are used to maintain the parks (Quoting the article: "The higher fees give the department a bigger budget to maintain the parks, said Mr Chalermsak") and the fees are set so as to balance the most number of visitors with the highest possible income, then there was no need to reduce the fees. As the article said "Thon Thamrongnawasawat, a leading marine biologist at Kasetsart University, said lowering the entrance fees would only benefit tour operators. Foreign tourists mostly buy a package tour from local operators which includes the park fees. So the new rates are unlikely to lure more foreign tourists to the national parks, he said."

Whether some of the parks are worth paying any fee at all is a totally different subject.