142 Divorces In Just 3 Months Between Thais And Foreigners In One City

sriracha john

kat must be a gurl............lol.

and not a tha i one.

im sure the afrekan man thai rural gurl marriages failure rate is same as farang rate. and eskimo rate. and moon man rate. all same same when it cums to marrying rura thai gurls when only one party thinks its lub(there r exceptions to this ).

Edited by blizzard

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone else said, there's not a whole lot of Westerners married in that one city

"Someone" said? Source? Because you yourself quoted in the original post:

The judge said Khon Kaen was one of the provinces with a lot of Thai women getting married with foreigners

So which is it? :o

And, and any chance of putting some numbers there?

Edited by chanchao

Read the full article on the Nation website for a good laugh: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/12/08...al_30058596.php

Could the author be any more condescending? I especially like this gem: 'Few Thais nowadays live in abject poverty' :o

The above link of the updated article from the OP posted here:

Thai country girls dump their foreign husbands

Bangkok - Thai girls in the middle of rural north-east Thailand are dumping their foreign husbands by the score, a senior judge said Saturday.

Of the 142 divorce cases filed in Khon Kaen Civil Court in the last three months most involved local girls seeking to split from their foreign spouses, Patikorn Khonpipat, chief justice of the Juvenile and Family Court said.

The judge could give no reason for the recent turning away from foreign husbands who have been sought after by women from this relatively deprived region for the last several decades.

He speculated that Thai girls had unreasonable expectations of a superior lifestyle and high incomes when they married foreign men - only to become sharply disillusioned quite quickly. Few Thais nowadays live in abject poverty.

There are no reliable statistics for the number of Thai women marrying foreigners with many marriages not registered in Thailand, but it seems likely to be quite high. Many of the single men who visit Thailand's notoriously raunchy nightlife zones come away with a girl in tow.

More respectable women are finding it easy to link up with lonely foreigners thanks to a plenitude of internet dating sites where girls who can hardly speak English can connect with men hoping to find an "exotic" Thai partner.

In Roi Et province, next to Khon Kaen, there is a "Swiss Village" so called because more than 100 women there have married foreign men, with already married girls introducing others.

A couple of years ago the National Economic and Social Development Board discovered that 15,284 women in the sprawling north-eastern region were married to foreigners and live overseas, which prompted the economic think tank to promote the idea that foreign-married girls could help channel investment back to Thailand.

The latest news suggests either that many country girls think they have already received sufficient investment or are no longer prepared to pay the price of an unsatisfactory marriage.

- The Nation

This topic is also running on the Isan forum

As I mentioned on there, I am very sceptical of the numbers. Thai wives rarely have any money no matter how much they receive from their husbands. It all goes on the family, cards, the lotery or tamboon. How then are they able to come up with the required 50/60,000bt for lawyers fees to obtain a divorce?

More likely the foreigners divorcing their wives due to their errant ways

As someone else said, there's not a whole lot of Westerners married in that one city

Post #18 said it... and it certainly seems reasonable to me based upon my experiences in Khon Kaen.

As for precise, exact numbers... as the updated article post above says... those will be hard to come by.

I notice there are 3 other threads besides this one on this same article's topic (1 is closed).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=157646&hl=

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=157566&hl=

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=157578&hl= (Closed)

Would a mod please consider a merge of these threads? Thank you.

Personally I think there is something wrong with this story. There are quite a few Farangs in and around where I live, and although one hears about a divorce here and there, its not common. Khon Kaen must have a VERY large population of Farangs married to Thai women. My observation of Thai Farang marriages is that Thai women will put up with a lot more sh*t, as compared with their western counterparts, as long as the husband provides for the family, and or, does not cause them to loose face.

Khon Kaen - A total of 142 divorce cases were sent to the Khon Kaen Civil Court in just three months, most of them involving with Thai women seeking divorce from their western husbands, a senior judge said Saturday.

Seems like a lot but would be interesting to have the number of Thai-Farang marriages registered during this this time to get an idea as to percentages. As my guestimate would be that maybe 50% of the bar-maidens of Thailand hail from the Khon Keon area, it's not surprising that a large number of the mixed marriages of foreigners and women from this area (as a large percentage of them would be bargirl-tourist type 3-day romance marriages) would end-up on the rocks.

Post #18 said it... and it certainly seems reasonable to me based upon my experiences in Khon Kaen.

As for precise, exact numbers... as the updated article post above says... those will be hard to come by.

I mean the number relative to the number of marriages, obviously, as previously requested by a number of other posters, e.g. :

Seems like a lot but would be interesting to have the number of Thai-Farang marriages registered during this this time to get an idea as to percentages.

Duh!

This topic is also running on the Isan forum

As I mentioned on there, I am very sceptical of the numbers. Thai wives rarely have any money no matter how much they receive from their husbands. It all goes on the family, cards, the lotery or tamboon. How then are they able to come up with the required 50/60,000bt for lawyers fees to obtain a divorce?

More likely the foreigners divorcing their wives due to their errant ways

LOL.

But anyway, you did bring up a serious point, namely that it's also unsubstantiated who is divorcing who; the article spins it as if 'Thai wives are divorcing their husbands' but in any divorce there's two parties consenting to it. (Or contesting it, obviously, but this too isn't made clear.)

The original article (and the one in the Nation, but my expectations of The Nation can't really get lower) really isn't very good.

Also I recall another article that I can't find back at the moment that also ran the story but with a different spin; namely the number of marriages was HUGE and the number of divorces pretty insignificant.

Edited by chanchao

the only reason to marry is because you want to have kids. to provide them a stable environment. otherwise, it doesn't make sense to marry someone.

god made humans the way they are to propagate. men are horny, and women want security. if you understand this, and accept it as the way it is, then, you will be happy.

meat against meat. the act of love. yet, why do men want to do it so much? imagine making a hole in a beefsteak and thrushing your finger thru it. would you be interested in doing this? ladies, buy yourself some usda prime, shape to the size you desire, coat it with astroglide, and you will have the same effect. sounds weird. but think about it. why the desire?

god at work.

http://www.nomarriage.com/

I mean the number relative to the number of marriages, obviously, as previously requested by a number of other posters, e.g. :

Seems like a lot but would be interesting to have the number of Thai-Farang marriages registered during this this time to get an idea as to percentages.

Duh!

well duh... if I had known the numbers of marriages, I would have posted them. It was a newspaper article...one that obviously didn't include the number of marriages in the OP.

As we only know the number of divorces and anecdotal evidence from people in the area reqarding general numbers of foreigners there, we can surmise that the number of divorces is surprisingly high.

Since this is Thailand, the temptation is there to suspect that this "rush to divorce" pertains to money. So, the next questions are the following:

1. Has there been any recent legislation in Thailand favoring Thai spouses in divorce settlements with farangs?

2. Has something happened in the KK area that would lead Thai spouses to think that those who adjudicate might show them favoritism above and beyond a 50/50 settlement?

Oh, common, welcome to Planet Earth! The girls marry the old, fat, ugly farangs, wait for some time to be uknowledged as their wives and then file for divorce to get the fair share of the property, belongings etc., go back to their village and find cute, young and very Thai boyfriends!

They say the two best days of farang husbands are the day you get them and the day you get rid of them! The rest of the days are basically a pain in the as*! So life goes...

Just the oppsoite for the guys.

two worse days for the guys.

The day you took on the ATM duties legally.

The day you had to pay to get out of it legally.

Better days are ahead and look forward to giving up being the village idot!

Once the money is gone so will be her extra boyfriends ( better known as some type of relative).

the only reason to marry is because you want to have kids. to provide them a stable environment. otherwise, it doesn't make sense to marry someone.

god made humans the way they are to propagate. men are horny, and women want security. if you understand this, and accept it as the way it is, then, you will be happy.

meat against meat. the act of love. yet, why do men want to do it so much? imagine making a hole in a beefsteak and thrushing your finger thru it. would you be interested in doing this? ladies, buy yourself some usda prime, shape to the size you desire, coat it with astroglide, and you will have the same effect. sounds weird. but think about it. why the desire?

god at work.

http://www.nomarriage.com/

call it God or evolution the outcome's the same -- the things that you are built to want are the things that, oh, say help you pass on your genes. *not* necessarily the things that will make you happy.

Edited by zeusbheld

...I would even suggest its a game many western women know!.......bottom line is don't get married unless you can take the hit.

What a great last comment dee123...love it!

I have NEVER written on any of these forums before and what I am going to ask has no doubt been asked many many times before. And yes, I speak the truth when I say 'I am asking for a friend'! I have no involvement in any Thai ladies at all!

My friend has in the last year married a Thai Lady and is told by his Thai lawyer that the marriage has been registered in UK as well as Thailand. He's had a 3m Baht house built in the north of Thailand and has also purchased a small 'beauty salon' for his wife to work. The land is registered in his wife's mother's name (!!!??) and the house and salon is in his wife's name. There is nothing in his name!

He is now back in UK trying to earn money to go back out to Thailand and live with his new Thai Family. He is convinced that in his absence his Thai wife will seek divorce and everything he has invested in will disappear.

Question 1.....can a Thai wife divorce without the 'agreement' or presence of the husband?

Question 2.....should he try (I would think that would be very difficult unless the Thai family co-operated!) to get land/property into a joint business name of himself and his wife? Is there any point or advantage to this?

Don't tell me to tell him he's gullible....I've done that enough times alreay...poor chap!

Edited by burhou

give us percentages if possible. soemthing like in usa 50% of marriages end up in divorce.

for thai, what % of farang, rural gurl marriage end unhappily.

the pessimist i am, i dont think $s run out, man just dont want to give. i mean wasnt that y gurl marry farang in first place.

this is what happens when people come to thailand fall in love stay for 2 weeks go home come back in a year and get married,they find they are not compatible ,different veiws on life .

An employee at the embassy in bkk once told me the failure rate of thai/english marriages was around 90 per cent ! :o

...I would even suggest its a game many western women know!.......bottom line is don't get married unless you can take the hit.

What a great last comment dee123...love it!

I have NEVER written on any of these forums before and what I am going to ask has no doubt been asked many many times before. And yes, I speak the truth when I say 'I am asking for a friend'! I have no involvement in any Thai ladies at all!

My friend has in the last year married a Thai Lady and is told by his Thai lawyer that the marriage has been registered in UK as well as Thailand. He's had a 3m Baht house built in the north of Thailand and has also purchased a small 'beauty salon' for his wife to work. The land is registered in his wife's mother's name (!!!??) and the house and salon is in his wife's name. There is nothing in his name!

He is now back in UK trying to earn money to go back out to Thailand and live with his new Thai Family. He is convinced that in his absence his Thai wife will seek divorce and everything he has invested in will disappear.

Question 1.....can a Thai wife divorce without the 'agreement' or presence of the husband?

Question 2.....should he try (I would think that would be very difficult unless the Thai family co-operated!) to get land/property into a joint business name of himself and his wife? Is there any point or advantage to this?

Don't tell me to tell him he's gullible....I've done that enough times alreay...poor chap!

Well he sounds a confident husband dosent he !,im afraid you will have to get your head down, the comments on the way for this guy wont be new or nice,... i have one queston, WHY, would anyone marry a woman that he has a low opinion of, .When i first came to thailand i would hear thais saying "farang tingtong ", i didnt know what it meant ,now i do, i agree,

. An employee at the embassy in bkk once told me the failure rate of thai/english marriages was around 90 per cent ! :o

The aboce is probably right however the definition of a failure in marriage does not only mean divorce, I know one guy who sold up in UK bought a small bar and guest house, his wife sees Thai men and steals his money. He is not happy but he is frightened of his wife and cant go back home- But they are not divorced so is it a failure ? Well not from her perspective.

I know of another older guy she is 24 they live in UK he has built her a house, he rents in UK and is no struggling for money but he is like a gambler he cant stop he has nothing all the assets are in his wifes name, is that a succesfull marriage ?

The problem there is almost an incentive to break up, same as a western girl if she is from a poor background and walks away with 400k from a 2 year divorce ....

Marry if you want but its like taking a bet, dont moan if your horse dont win

From what I see around me, the failure rate, even in what you'd think are more iffy couples, is really quite low. Surprising low, even.

And then, what's failure: It's only a failure in the Christian sense where any bond that doesn't last until death is a failure.

although I had some matrimonial problems while living in thailand my marriage has been successful but I am with someone of my own age and I would say of similar "looks".....she not being a young slim nubile etc....I remember standing at Mo chit bus terminal some 8 years ago noticing a sudden influx of newly arriving farangs all loaded up with their suitcases and thinking "if only they knew what they were letting themselves in for!) :o
Its all about selection in my opinion, country of origin is irrelavent, however thailand does have its fair share of problems, but id have to say that the ladies we are talking about are in the very high chance of failure bracket,.i have a friend that lost the plot completly, lost everything in thailand, took his bg bride to the uk, they live close to the bread line,mainly because she sends all her wages back to thailand every month, it makes me so angry to see him driving a 500 pound car, working delivering food at night and struggling to pay the bills and all her money is gone abroad, WHAT IS THE ATTRACTION ! ?

Well, personally I don't recognize 'marriage' as such as a legal construct, mostly because I think marriage is a private/family matter that the government should have no business with, and ESPECIALLY not the Thai government.

So that's why I got married, but didn't register it. It's simply none of the governments business, and with the Mrs owning a company, I don't trust Thai governments enough to keep laws and regulations fair for Thai citizens married to foreigners. It also guarantees I don't become a statistic. :o I think governments should stay the <deleted> out of people's private lives.

Actually I don't trust my own government either.. Look at what supposedly civilized Western countries inflict upon their male citizens upon divorce.. It's ludicrous and I want no part in it.

Very happily married though, and beautiful daughter. :D

Edited by chanchao