Things You Dislike About Pattaya

Tufty

Ask the street vendors and the thousands of locals and farrangs they feed daily if they think its a good idea they are moved.

What I am saying is you guys are asking for things that you do not like changed, for every one of you who doesn't like them there are 10 who live from them and earn a living from them.

Stop being so short sighted, change is good when it hapens naturally not when a tourist comes up with an idea after a few days holiday.

I am not suggesting that food vendors, or in fact anyone who is earning an honest living be forced to relocate or stop trading

Poor lighting on the promenade is good for the ladyboys

Phone boxes in the middle of the pavement are good for TT&T

Motorbikes being ridden on the pavement, down the wrong side of the road and the difficulty pedestrians have crossing roads is only good for the hospitals

How many people burn their legs on hot exhausts when they have to squeeze through a tiny gap between the bikes or face a hundred yard walk

These and others, are public safety issues that should be addressed

It is you Ben who should stop being so short sighted, change is good when it happens naturally but it isn't happening

I'm not a tourist but a resident pedestrian and everyday my life or well being is threatened by speeding motorists who think its funny to make me run for my life when crossing the road

How does that benefit the increasing numbers of family holiday makers who will or will not return or recommend Pattaya as a tourist destination

Ultimately affecting local businesses and the economy of Pattaya

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuft

Not sure how long you have been here but i've seen plenty of change in th 8 years I have been here. And I am sure if you ask many who have been here a while they will tell you the same.

Beach rd had virtually no lights on the beach side 8 years ago, the ones being installed now are the second set of new ones in the past 3 years.

I can't ever remember seeing a bike on the pavement, and as your mother must have told you always look both ways before crossing the road and you won't have a problem.

Another one with something against lady boys? how many do you actually know, or do you work only on what our HowardTV reports to you every day on his dodgy news channel?

I'll ask you.. an inner longing perhaps thats yet to be explored.

I am not suggesting that food vendors, or in fact anyone who is earning an honest living be forced to relocate or stop trading

Not directly maybe but change creates change, and when you keep moaning eventually you do make a difference. (unfortunately)

I wonder how people in your home town would react if some foreigners on 1 year visa's, (not permanant residents) were constantly complaining and trying to make changes that would have an impact on the working class locals?

I can imagine the headlines...

The only thing I wish would change is if someone could get those little kids off the street selling stuff late at night. It just is not safe for them.

As far as everything else goes, I am on holiday from the time I step off the plane until I return home I have one huge smile. I love the difference's (sidewalk shops, the smells, the bikes) I dont get this kind of thing at home, with all the regulations.

The only thing I wish would change is if someone could get those little kids off the street selling stuff late at night. It just is not safe for them.

As far as everything else goes, I am on holiday from the time I step off the plane until I return home I have one huge smile. I love the difference's (sidewalk shops, the smells, the bikes) I dont get this kind of thing at home, with all the regulations.

Exactly..

pelican crossings

:(:D

On a lighter note:- -_-

I did not know that Pattaya had any “pelicans” that need to cross the road. Maybe I am wong again…… I have not been there for sometime, but for sure there are many birds there of different types !!! :)

Pedestrian Crossing, on the udder hand, are around in Thailand, but no one stops to let the pedestrian cross…… :D neither pelicans…. :wub:

Only Joking ….. :D

Also in another post from Siam “All i want to do is chill out with a drink.”

How Kan you Chill out on a beach ? <deleted>' too hot for me to Chill out, me think ! :o

LOL :)

Happy Days & keep cool and then myabe you Kan Win :D

Tuft

I can't ever remember seeing a bike on the pavement,  and as your mother must have told you always look both ways before crossing the road and you won't have a problem. 

Try opening your f***ing eyes there are loads on the south Pattaya road alone

Another one with something against lady boys? how many do you actually know, or do you work only on what our HowardTV reports to you every day on his dodgy news channel?
The only ladyboys I have had the pleasure of meeting are the ones who hide in the shadows then surround you as you walk by and make a grab for your wallet / phone /gold
I'll ask you.. an inner longing perhaps thats yet to be explored.

I'll reply...please don't try and convert me... with a nick name like Ben Dover

your alligence to ladyboys is apparent and I am sure you have explored the inners of many of them, If they steal money from tourists they will still want yours when you visit the back passage

I wonder how people in your home town would react if some foreigners on 1 year visa's, (not permanant residents)  were constantly complaining and trying to make changes that would have an impact on the working class locals?

I  can imagine the headlines...

Maybe when I have been married to a Thai for 5 years and they give me my Thai passport (as per English/Thai marrage in the UK) I can consider myself to be a permanant resident.... Oops I forgot it doesn't work like that here does it

Maybe when I have been married to a Thai for 5 years and they give me my Thai passport (as per English/Thai marrage in the UK) I can consider myself to be a permanant resident.... Oops I forgot it doesn't work like that here does it

No it does not work like that here, and i can see that you already know that.

Why would you want to live in a country that you do not seem to like anyway, and why Pattaya?

You are just another farang that thinks Thailand should change to suit your personal tastes, what about if Thailand makes some other changes. like closing all bars and clearing bargirls out of Pattaya, that would suit some people, would that also suit you?

:o:D

Thailand is in danger of making changes to fit in with the west and the wests way of thinking that could hurt the poorer classes if they are not bought along too, this always seems to be something most forget about in their rush to keep up with the Bush's and Blair's and turn a country into their own little bit of home from home

Do we want Pattaya to become like Benidorm?

That is not why I came to Thailand, how about you?

Tuft

You just make yourself look stupid and short sighted, you assume that one and all are the same just because you have had a bad expeirience and that everything should change to suit you.

If you are married take her home mate and live in the your own country who's policies and regulations you seem to miss so dearly.

Tell me when you are out next as a "pedestrain resident" and what tshirt you are wearing and I will see if I can get you with my samlor as your walk the streets spending your few baht a day keeping the Thai economy alive.

Whats the bet you don't like paying 10 baht on a Songthaew which is why you walk?

Get a life!!

No it does not work like that here, and i can see that you already know that.

Why would you want to live in a country that you do not seem to like anyway, and why Pattaya?

You are just another farang that thinks Thailand should change to suit your personal tastes, what about if Thailand makes some other changes. like closing all bars and clearing bargirls out of Pattaya, that would suit some people, would that also suit you?

:D:D

me thinks that thaigirlteen is'nt a teenage thai girl after all. :o

i don't think Tufty hates Pattaya, he just wants some improvements that would benefit himself AND the people that keep Pattaya on its feet THE FARANGS, you know holidaymakers etc.

And you know what! I'd like to see some improvements also, :D yes i pay "a little bit of tax" but i also keep over 35 thai men & women employed and they pay "a little bit of tax" also. :wub:

Anyway i still love it here, as long as i can run the business and remain here, i'm not going to lose sleep if the changes are'nt made. :D

Sorry Ben if you think I am short sighted (funny you say that though as I do wear glasses)

When I started this thread I certainly didn’t want to get into a slanging match with anyone, but (as others do) thought my points were quite valid

I have never been harresed or felt threatened by anyone here other than the ladyboys

Frankly I am quite appalled at your lack of concern regarding health and safety (and the enforcement of it) it makes me think you just don’t give a <deleted> about the number of accidents and fatality’s (especially at Songkran)

I wouldn’t like to return to the UK as my girlfriend and I love this country and it’s too cold by far in the UK

I will look out for you on your Samlor and I’m sure you would like to give me a lift considering the special friendship we have built up over the last couple of weeks

Finally I got a life, a very comfortable and happy one in this beautiful country

Fondest regards Tufty :o

Pattaya City would best do something about infrastructure and planning ; lights, water evacuation, traffic and pollution control on vehicles .

I think Pattaya is in system overload mode.

Lately the roads dont seem sufficient, traffic jams on the way back from the beach,

big coaches on every street, too many songtaews. A lot of construction; fine, but the people staying there will put more cars on the road.

Many green areas, mostly unused terrain but also horticulturists ( e.g. on the road Pattaya Jomtien and on Beach road) have dissapeared in only two years,

Pattaya seems to have become less laid-back, and as it wants to be a tourist destination maybe it should care for the wishes of the tourists.

I really dont mind the vendors on the beach, over the last 10 years I have made many acquintances that way,

and I do not care/mind if my fellow visitor is French, Arab or whatever;

but that might be my tolerant nature :o

What I really hate is child exploitation, which seems to continue.

There is no excuse for that.

disclaimer: as a farang I realize I can make only some suggestions and not intervene with the supreme sovereignty of the Thai ,so: Pattaya City Council : up to you! :D

I dislike walking along the beach road and everybody looking at my wife, one man even winked at her.

Yes there is a big age gap between us ( 72 & 19 ) but she is my wife, people should show more respect.

i thought you were gonna tell us there was a big age gap. :D

if i had one baht for everytime someone winked at my wife, i'd have 374 bht :o

(sometimes women wink at her) :D:D

Pattaya Cable(Sophon) taking off the footie.

When?

I was watching on Saturday and Sunday. (I assume your talking about Aussie Rules).

But when I got back to Bang Phli last night (Sunday) I found no ABC Asia Pacific on the piped TV service. Maybe ABC want to charge now - before it was free-to-air.

Watched the footie on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Also the NRL.

This on a Sophon subscription.

But still not got ABC Asia Pacific in my weekday digs. I think it is just a cable unplugged - probably by the condo building owner to provide another channel. ABC A-P is a free-to-air channel that is usually picked up directly from satellite (PAS-8 or PAS-2) by the building owner. Then added to the pay-to-view channels. But with Sophon I believe it is part of their package.

If you need to see footie, there is a bar in the soi parallel to Soi Chaiyaphum, between Sae Sam and Second Road that shows every match.

That it still represents a large part of people's stereotype of Thailand with sleaze, sex trade and pedophilia.

Meadish Sweetball

Anyone who cares Thai or Westerner knows that Pathet Pattaya IS NOT Pathet Thai.

What goes on there admittedly fairly in the face represents about 2% of what happen in Thailand that Westerner DO NOT know about because it is under the covers.

That it still represents a large part of people's stereotype of Thailand with sleaze, sex trade and pedophilia.

Anyone who cares Thai or Westerner knows that Pathet Pattaya IS NOT Pathet Thai.

I disagree.

Show me a Thai town that does not have Sex and Sleaze?

It may not have signs in English, but believe me it is there!!

Not sure about the other bit.

Can’t really think of anything I really dislike about Pattaya.

Lived just ten minutes outside town for about two years now.

Yes, I could complain about Thai motorists and lots of other silly little things, but the good far out ways the bad for me.

This is Thailand, and it has got to be different from the life us expats have been used to most of our lives. Nobody is forcing us to live here and as far as I’m concerned it’s best to enjoy what life here has got to offer.

For me it beats London hands down, and I am here for the rest of my life.

The biggest fear is that I start taking life in Los for granted, forgetting how things were in the UK before I relocated here.

Had to go back to the UK a few weeks ago to see the family, and what a culture shock.

The fist time I visited Thailand it was not as a sex tourist and didn’t even now about the scene in Pattaya. Since then, married a nice Thai lady who lived in England for a while before we relocated here.

Well clued up now though, :o

Mike.

I disagree.

hardly true in the context of Pattaya.

Show me another town like Pattaya WITH the signs, attitude and general feeling.

There is not one.

Read the thread.

CTG,You go on about Thailand this and Farang that,

You don't even know that Pattaya is a city :o

Why not city to city :D

I disagree.

hardly true in the context of Pattaya.

Show me another town like Pattaya WITH the signs, attitude and general feeling.

There is not one.

Read the thread.

CTG,You go on about Thailand this and Farang that,

You don't even know that Pattaya is a city :o

Why not city to city :D

What is the definition of a city -v- a town in Thailand?

In UK it used to be that a town with a cathedral became a city. That will not apply here.

Is there any incorporation charter, or any advantage in being a city, rather than a town?

Provincial capital (in this case Chonburi) may be a city, but why make a town up? And why Pattaya, not Laem Chabang?

Party City sounds a bit better than Party Town, but I see no other advantage.

Can CTG or someone enlighten me about this bit of arcane Thailandia?