Australian Visa Application

I am currently in the process of applying for a spouse visa. Can anyone tell me what the expected time for approval is at the moment. The Australian Dept of Immigration in Australia say it's 10 month, but also say it's used purely as a guideline. Further enquiries with the embassy in Bangkok haven't been as helpful as i expected.

Any information and extra tips would be appreciated.

I see the department has picked up their act via Davids link to the Bangkok embassy.

Now do they contact you after 10 months or 3 months?

I see it is also important to have form 956 signed by the spouse for the sponsor to also get information or ask questions.

The downside to the new script from the Bangkok breaure is that they seem to want you to make an appointment and come in to their office. Doesn't say if they discuss over the phone or will take email's or fax's. So I don't know if these other forms of communication are OK. Some locals maybe miles away to make the appointment?

I just went thru the link David gave but cannot find what the Charter of Rights are for someone using this service. Just strange for me, as it is a logical first step in knowing what I can expect for the money that is paid.

Howard have a look at the other immigration thread which is still current.

Good luck

Howard

We lodged 05/10/07 at visa app centre and had interview in Bangkok 23/10/07. Yes I do consider it some imposition having to travel to Bangkok from Kalasin.

When I was researching prior to lodgement there was some talk of partner visa being granted in 2-3 weeks. We are currently approaching the 3 months and am aware it may not be granted within 3 months due to a medical condition of one of the children.

After thai gf had i/v in bangkok we had the case managers phone number and have contacted her direct more than a couple of times, she is not always available but does get back to you within 24 hours, we have no problem with embassy staff.

This three months have been one of the most difficult i have been through, after making such a big decision you want to get on with it and make a life for your new family. The ones that get granted quickly you are very lucky.

One problem at this time of the year is the increase in tourist applications and Wilbur, I suspect the issue of kids...2 other members have lodged about the same time as me and my wife and have been granted....neither had children on the applications whereas I do...my friend has just lodged his and his wifes application, again no kids...if he is granted before me and my wife I will be sending some very strong e mails to the Embassy. And a visit to my local MP will following shortly thereafter.

I am currently at about 6 weeks after the final documents were lodged.

http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/DIMA03.html

Visa application processing time

Resident Return, Visitor and Temporary Visa applications - 3 to 5 days

Student and Student Guardian Visa applications - 10 days

Migration visa applications - 3 months

Citizenship applications - 5 to 10 days

You will be fully informed of the reason for any delays.

These are only quoted times...the reality is often a lot less in regard to migration visas..

Fully informed ??? That I would like to see..... :o

Graham, why cant you just ring them and get a straight answer. Where is my application in the process line and how long will it take. This is not an unreasonable request. I know from reading your posts you are a straight up and down person.

I know there is the need for boarder security, but if it was up to me I would have approved you 4 weeks ago.

Wilbur I hope the problem with one of your children will be resolved soon. Are they open to discussion via email or fax now?

One of the benefits that the new Visa centre has given the case managers a lot more free time. I always find the best resolve is to use email.

Graham, why cant you just ring them and get a straight answer. Where is my application in the process line and how long will it take. This is not an unreasonable request. I know from reading your posts you are a straight up and down person.

I know there is the need for boarder security, but if it was up to me I would have approved you 4 weeks ago.

Wilbur I hope the problem with one of your children will be resolved soon. Are they open to discussion via email or fax now?

One of the benefits that the new Visa centre has given the case managers a lot more free time. I always find the best resolve is to use email.

We are being patient Chris....

There is a quoted time limit and we are still within that limit and also my own limit as to when I want her to come here if the visa is granted. However my patience would wear thin if my friend was granted earlier as I am at least 6 weeks ahead of him.

The last time Apple called them they did say that it was an extremely busy time and leading upto Xmas, one can understand that.

I have always advised patience to people who I have helped with their applications...now I have to apply my own advice to myself.....probably a shame that I didnt take my own advice with the application....maybe a case of "He who can does....He who cant teaches"..... :D:o

Mmmmm not sure Chris...I havent been kept fully informed of any delays. :o

But as nothing has been heard to the contrary then I can only assume that it is progressing through the system. Apple said she would call them today but I am having trouble getting through to her on the phone tonight.

Sorry Graham but you should know me by now. I can give some names of the new members of parliament if you need them. I do take a direct root when things are at a stalemate :D

Is Rod Chambers still there ???? :D

Ross greenwood Canberra, he is the one that approves applications. :D

Can you IM me a e mail address for that fine upstanding gentleman....(just in case he reads here :o )

It took 14 months for my spouse visa to be approved ( We were told it could take up to 9 months )

My fiancee had already been to Australia with me three times on tourist visas , we gave the embassy

far more proof of a genuine relationship than they asked for .

In the end I got very pissed off , sent a long email to the case officer ( Aussie ) reminding him of his

obligations and responsibilities as a public servant .

Visa approved same day .

It took 14 months for my spouse visa to be approved ( We were told it could take up to 9 months )

My fiancee had already been to Australia with me three times on tourist visas , we gave the embassy

In the end I got very pissed off , sent a long email to the case officer ( Aussie ) reminding him of his

Visa approved same day .

We just got word that ours is ok and she can get the passport stamped on the 27th....nearly six weeks from the final lodging of papers and abourt 2.5 months in all from date of application lodgement

Visa approved same day .

We just got word that ours is ok and she can get the passport stamped on the 27th....nearly six weeks from the final lodging of papers and abourt 2.5 months in all from date of application lodgement

Good to hear mate.

Good for you and your's Graham.

As someone who has given very helpful advice on these threads over recent times, I hope you can stick around at times.

My sentiments exactly. Good on you mate and hope all our spouses application are dealt with as quickly and successfully

My wife and I lodged her Spouse Visa on the 1st of October and had her interview(10th Oct).She recieved a call from her case officer Wanida approx 2 1/2 weeks later saying her and our step daughters visas had been granted and that she could come and pick them up from the embassy in BKK on the 1st of November.So all in all it took about a month.

All in all the people we dealt with at the ebassy,was very good.

Refreshing news, I take it that virtually all of the Case Officers who interview Thai Spouses are "Thai"

Wouldn't matter too much in our case as my wife converses well in English, but I just wasn't sure!

Went yeserday to apply for the Police Clearance.

For public servants I could not have been more immpressed with their kindness, fun and joking all the way. Went after that to the AUS Embassy for Stat Dec of Marital status, also very good experience and much fun with the Thai Security staff.

All round good day in the LOS.

All the people I have dealt with at the Oz embassy have been Thai,in my opinion all have been very professional and speak English well.No complaints from me anyway.

I agree with you the Thai security staff at the Embassy are great fun they had my step daughter in fits of laughter all round made for a good experience,and the Police clearance went very smoothly also.

Its not as hard as people think just time consuming.