A Warning About Using Visa Agents In Penang

Again better to have used the agents or you may have been arrested at the embassy had you been there yourself!

Ridiculous Alarmist Nonsense.

No one would arrest the OP for not presenting the right amount of paperwork.

If he had applied in person no doubt the consulate would have advised the OP as to what was

missing and he might have been able to rectify the omission and received his business visa.

IME the consular staff in Penang are quite helpful.

As a result of using an agent the OP ended up with a useless Transit Visa and a nasty stamp.

I never understand why people do not apply in person.

In Penang you can get a taxi to the consulate, or there is a bus service that stops at the far end of the road

where the consulate is located.

From your post, it appears to me that your are one who most would classy as a Thai "newbie." A couple trips to LOS as a tourist and then wanting to live/work here full time. Fine, nothing wrong with that. However, to put it kindly, you really don't know your way around these parts it sounds to me and to go and blame your visa rejection on NJ or the Penang visa agents in general are misplaced. I have used NJ for almost a decade for tourist and non-imm O and B visas on various occasions. I have always found them to be professional and have never had any problems. The guys who run the shop always counsel as to what is available at the time and what paperwork you need. They have never over promised what they can get...usually they try to down-talk you. As they know how difficult it can be to get certain visas.

As an aside, I was there once and they told a man from Africa that he would have to go to the consulate in person because nationals from there had to appear in person (they did help him with the forms, however). If they were scammers, why not just take the guys money and tell him his visa application was rejected the next day?

Sunbelt is very reputable and likely did what was proper on their end. For whatever reason, Penang rejected your application. If you wanted to know why, you should have gone and spoken to them before blaming your visa agent!

As a result of using an agent the OP ended up with a useless Transit Visa and a nasty stamp.

Because up until recently it has been a very convenient way to get a visa.

There's a new Consul-General there now. None of the "don't use an agent" brigade have any evidence to prove that going there yourself will make any difference.

It's no longer a question of whether one should use a visa agent in Penang, it's now a question of whether one should even bother to go there in the first place.

To the OP (although he may have tuned out now as I realise this is 2 weeks later), have you contacted the agent directly to get their side of the story? They may be able to telll you what was wrong with your application and also possibly tell you exactly how "blacklisted" you really are. If it's just that handwritten note in your passport, then you can easily remedy the situation by getting a new one (not really practical if your passport is relatively new, of course!).

Also, as an aside, if this happens to someone else and you get given a tourist visa instead, this can be upgraded to a non-immigrant visa at Bangkok immigration. It takes a while (about a month to 6 weeks) and is quite costly, but possibly better than going back to Penang (or wherever) to make another new application there.

I have used NJ three times and they helped me to get the visas I wanted (90 days non-imm B). They even managed to get a visa for me when I had forgotten to sign the appllication.

My applications were based on work as a teacher and I had all the docuents needed. Things might have been different if my application had been based on a less common situation.

NJ are not lawyers and it might be difficult for them to deal with complicated applications.

Edited by bow

I am not saying you cannot use an agent, nor do I say that you will have problems if you do so let's keep this factual. I do say however that you don't need to, the office in Penang is just a taxi detour on your way from and back to the airport and you are there about 5 minutes each way. You don't chance your lost passport, perhaps your most vital document ever with some bookshop guy in a strange town. As another stated, if you go yourself and there is a problem, you may have the chance to rectify it before you leave.

As said, I have done the trip myself so mine is empirical information. Sure if you're staying in Penang then it would be a seperate trip out to the consulate but what a drag that is !

Again: NJ - Brothers in Penang are in the business for many, many years, they even remembered me after 10 years!!!!!!!

Never had a problem with them, and never heard of anybody either!

Never heard of a lost passport - those guys are professionals!

Extremely helpful, but they can do no magic either - if all the paperwork is up to the requierements, there will be a visa issued if not, not it's this simple!

An Embassy or a Consulate isn't an Egyptian bazaar where you can bargain to your liking!

Stick with the rules and a Visa will be issued.

use an agent or not - this is, if so, secondary!

Edited by Samuian

I too have nothing but good things to say about NJ.

I was VERY impressed with Mr. Mouhammad,and his service.

The guy helped me to expedite my app,so as to get it to the embassy

before the cutoff time,and the next afternoon my passport was handed

to me with a smile and a hand shake.Compared to the "kindly gentlemen"

at my local immi in Jomtien,that was a very nice experience indeed!

Plus, ice cold Guinness and Italian food down the street for cheap!

I too have nothing but good things to say about NJ.

I was VERY impressed with Mr. Mouhammad,and his service.

The guy helped me to expedite my app,so as to get it to the embassy

before the cutoff time,and the next afternoon my passport was handed

to me with a smile and a hand shake.Compared to the "kindly gentlemen"

at my local immi in Jomtien,that was a very nice experience indeed!

Plus, ice cold Guinness and Italian food down the street for cheap!

I had similar experiences from Mr Ali (Mohammud) at NJ and the Guinness too lol

Edited by The Professor

i've never used NJ but have used Jim and Shan many times for TV and Non Imm B and never had any problems whatsoever.

in fact, the last time i was unfortunate enough to have to go to penang (and found jim had moved to a new place and was absent) i went back to shan and explained my situation (144 day overstay, now applying for non imm :o and asked if i would have any problems, should i take it myself, should i go with them etc and he just looked at me like he's heard it all before, he said everything would be ok and , it was. got my non imm b no problem, very happy to pay them a few ringgit for the service, i hate penang with a passion and don't want to do anything other than sit at a comp while i am there.

btw, shan's place also makes the best scrambled eggs and CRISPY bacon i have had anywhere in s.e. asia lol.

Using an agent is standard in Penang. I can't put a figure on it but I'd say 90% maybe more do it this way. They know what they are doing and I think I used said agent twice. My fullest sympathies are with OP, but I can't really think of a single piece of advice at this point.

Maybe a consultation with somebody at Suan Plu could help. It does seem a genuine complaint and they can be very helpful. Likewise, ask a solicitor, in fact I'll ask mine and see what he says, but it might take a while as I'm rather up to my neck in my own spot of bother.

This is a bit of a scary story as Penang always seemed to be the place you could most rely on. It's pretty poor form when you fullfil all the requirements and still get turned away. I can't see any common sense reason for the 2 TV's rule. Logic says that the 'perennial tourist' would do 3 -30 days, then a TV with a 30 day extension, then back to the 30 days and so on. The 2 TV rule would not effect them, yet ironically it might hurt the genuine well heeled tourist who likes to come 3 times a year say with no fixed return date. TV is surely a money earner too.

So my guess is that it's just an arbitrary rule, usually pulled on someone with a full quota of 30 days, and you got somebody with a poor grasp of maths. As with all these crackdowns just a few get selected as an example to all, and maybe you were an unlucky one. Who knows though?

Oh dear. I think I posted the above on the wrong thread but some of my post is still cogent.

A friend of mine had the same problem as long as 4 years ago. I suspect that they regarded the application as bogus, using your previous stamps as pointing in that direction. Quite unfair and I suppose we'll never know.

Still as the names are out in the open, perhaps some other unfortunates will also come forward.

On the grapevine I heard that it is now possible to obtain the visa directly at Suan Plu. I can testify that another friend who started work at a Uni had his non-imm processed this way, but it was a year or so ago and I've forgotten the details. IAnother question for my lawyer.

I'm not sure how including an agent in the process, again speaking only for tourist visas and before the latest 'crackdown', helps matters and might mean I have to spend an extra day in Penang, which I'd prefer not to.

Ah, well you see, some of us like to spend a few days in Penang: good food, good shopping, friendly people ...

So for us, why bother wasting time making two trips to the consulate, queuing up and so on, when an agent takes care of everything? Or used to.

To the OP (although he may have tuned out now as I realise this is 2 weeks later), have you contacted the agent directly to get their side of the story? They may be able to telll you what was wrong with your application and also possibly tell you exactly how "blacklisted" you really are. If it's just that handwritten note in your passport, then you can easily remedy the situation by getting a new one (not really practical if your passport is relatively new, of course!).

Also, as an aside, if this happens to someone else and you get given a tourist visa instead, this can be upgraded to a non-immigrant visa at Bangkok immigration. It takes a while (about a month to 6 weeks) and is quite costly, but possibly better than going back to Penang (or wherever) to make another new application there.

I am back in the US and will handle my visa here. I haven't been paying attention for the last few days because I thought the thread was dead, it was Christmas and after that I was traveling. I won't be online too often while I'm here, so may respond slowly to any other questions.

No, I didn't ask NJ about it. I had to get on a minibus pretty quickly and was somewhat in shock. It had been a truly horrible trip - I didn't put everything in the story because I didn't want to write a big tale of woe.

I don't specifically blame NJ. My lawyer implied perhaps my agent had a bad reputation with the consulate, and said the problem was from using an agent.

It is obvious from the number of posters here who have said good things about NJ that they shouldn't have a bad reputation. I think I just got slammed by someone at the consulate who probably didn't even look at the dates or origins of my tourist visas, just saw three and 'blacklisted' me when there was a problem (whatever) with my business visa.

The note isn't handwritten, it's printed on the transit visa.

Ultimately, this didn't hurt me that much as I had to come back here to do some business things anyway. I just rescheduled a planned trip back to the USA. However, if even one person avoids a problem because he presents his application in person, then the thread served its purpose. The number of testimonials for NJ should have a positive effect for them. I certainly don't want to cause problems for legitimate businesses.

Why are people so bloody lazy that they use an "agent" who is not really an agent to fill out some forms ?

Because they want you to use an agent so they can get their kick back.

I suspect this particular agent had some money issues with the consulate general and thus is being put out of business until he pays up.

Anyway it’s for sure that Panang needs to be taken off the “list of possibilities” with all the arbitrary blacklisting and general harassment that’s been taking place there over the past few weeks. :o

Why are people so bloody lazy that they use an "agent" who is not really an agent to fill out some forms ?

Because they want you to use an agent so they can get their kick back.

I suspect this particular agent had some money issues with the consulate general and thus is being put out of business until he pays up.

Anyway it’s for sure that Panang needs to be taken off the “list of possibilities” with all the arbitrary blacklisting and general harassment that’s been taking place there over the past few weeks. :o

Quite a shame really. I used to enjoy my visa runs to Penang. One of the perks was being able to use an agent while I kicked back and enjoyed a few days there.

I have been forming a company in Thailand using Sunbelt Asia as my law firm.

I had to get my business visa so I went to Penang. I used "N. J." as the visa agent. I gave them my documents, filled out the application, paid the fee and left.

Rather than receiving my business visa, I got a transit visa and was blacklisted at the Penang consulate. I have no reason to suspect that Sunbelt has been anything but honest and competent, so I think my documents were okay. I can understand that a mistake on my application or in my documents may have resulted in my not receiving a business visa. However, I was very shocked to be blacklisted.

There is nothing in my passport to suggest that I am anything other than what I am - a person who came to Thailand several times as a tourist and, since I can work from anywhere, decided to work from here.

My lawyer at Sunbelt suspects that the visa agent I used may have been the problem. That agent may have a bad reputation, which coupled with anything unusual or incorrect in my application, may have led the consulate to suspect fraud.

I had planned to return to the USA in March for a few weeks to take care of some business, so I will just go in January instead. I did not care for Penang so I already had no intention to return there.

This is neither a rant nor a whine, simply a warning. I'm sure any agent is fine for a tourist visa, and probably for a non-O. But I would strongly recommend that if you are applying for a non-B, you walk it in yourself. I had planned to do so, but was trying to find out why my ATM card wouldn't work and decided to avoid the hassle of going to the embassy. (I have since learned that my ATM card won't work in Malaysia, Indonesia, or Romania.)

Below are all my earlier entries into Thailand as well as the consulates issuing my tourist visas.

30 Day Stamps:

July 06, 2005 (Stayed 14 days)

Feb 02, 2006 (Stayed 26 days)

Jan 29, 2007 (Stayed 27 days)

Tourist Visas

Nov 08, 2006 (Los Angeles) (extended in Phuket)

Feb 27, 2007 (Vientiane) (Stayed 40 days)

Sep 07, 2007 (Los Angeles) (extended in HuaHin)

Probably as simple as you have too many TR visas and exempt entries. I have heard of other people with less being given the stamp not to come back for Tourist Visas. Does seem kind of strange that they would do this on a Non-B visa. From the looks of it, you spent about 5+ months here from Nov 2006 to April 2007, and then another 3-4 months from Sept 2007.

I used to use the gentleman at the book shop many years ago and found him to be reliable and honest.

On the subject of the "blacklisting." In the last couple of weeks I have met a couple of people, whom I have known for quite some time, they have both been told not to come back to this office for a renewal ( Penang .) That was for tourist visas and they both had three consective ones issued in Penang.

I can only assume that they don't want to issue more than three, a bit like the 30 day stamp rule?