Cm Poly Registration

Greenside

My girlfriend is nearing the end of a (long overdue :o ) Thai cooking course at CM Poly and just came home with the registration forms for the next term which starts on January 14th. Thought I'd just post a note about it here since they seem to run an impressive list of vocational courses from car repair and cooking through hairdressing, web design and Photoshop and it's a great way for Thai locals of all ages to get a basic grounding in areas they may want to pursue for a career or simply an interest. The courses are three hours a day, five days a week and run either 9-12, 1-4 or 5-8 depending on the subject and cost almost nothing: one baht per hour! Each course is two months so it's just about enough time to see if your chosen subject holds any lasting appeal.

She's signing up for hairdressing this time but I think I'll persuade her to try Photoshop next so she can get on top of my backlog of pictures. The Poly website is here.

The college is on Huay Kuaw Rd between the Superhighway and Canal Rd, opposite the Honda dealer and many of the courses get filled up very fast - within days of registration opening.

The courses are taught in Thai and are for Thai Nationals only - if you are a farung you cannot do one of the courses. They are an excellent idea and very popular so if you have a partner thinking of doing a course book get in early. Many of the popular courses fill very quickly.

As stated above they courses are mainly vocational eg cooking, motor repair etc but there are a couple of very important ones as well. Students who missed out on getting an education can do their primary (B1-6) and secondary (M1-6) education there. The courses are abridged but fully credited. I know of several girls including two I tutored at Payap University who did their secondary education under this scheme and went on to University education. The second series of courses are aimed at mainly mountain tribe people who may not speak fluent Thai, these courses teach spoken and written Thai and for many of these people the first step in getting a way out of menial work and poverty.

If you have a partner thinking of doing one of these courses then give them all the encouragement you can. You may also consider making a donation to the college as a sign of your support of the scheme.

CB

Doing her course also enabled my partner to meet a whole new group of people which is a good spin off, given that she's not from CM and most often just comes into contact with my friends' partners. I've met a couple of interesting people via her new friends too.

Why not put this in one of the pinned threads?

One of the strange things about forums is that pinned subjets unless they are contantly evolving such as "good places to eat in Chiang Mai" seem to be ignored or forgotten. The pinned resources thread contains contact details of the CM immigration, doctors, lawers, electricians etc yet we see a regular New Topic of "Where can I find a good doctor?" etc.

I will speak to p1p and suggest we add this reference to the pinned resource topic but I am fully expecting someone to start a new topic around next January on "does anyone know anything about the Polytech in Chiang Mai?"

There are many people here with (or going to be with :o) a Thai partner

Some of our members could probably fill a class or at least be elligible for group discount for ex and current girlfriends :D

CB

Ok, then a pinned thread with FAQ's, such as where good tennis/golf etc. courts/courses, what kind of activity groups/courses and where etc., recommended language courses.

Just name it. :o

Oh, and members can refer to this thread when a newbie asks.

Nienke