Amercan Expats In Thailand

Jingthing

The Expat Vote for the Big One  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect the expat turnout will be pretty darn low. Even lower than those back over there.

To preempt the poll critics, this is just a sample, I left out Other (by accident), and I left out the really impossibles like Tancredo as well as the communist and libertarian parties, but added Bloomberg who isn't running (yet) but might.

Edited by Jingthing

This topic is gonna get SO closed..

It is about the expat vote here in Thailand, but if you say so.

Some Americans (and others) here might be curious to know how the expats here stand compared to domestically.

You certainly wouldn't see this topic on a US board, it only makes sense on a Thai board.

BTW, if you need to register to vote to be part of the Americans overseas vote, this website can help:

https://www.overseasvotefoundation.org/overseas/home.htm

Edited by Jingthing

Do you want "other" added to the poll? And what, no Tom Tancrazy? What kind of poll is that :D

I agree with PB, if you can keep it down to who you'd vote for and why you, as an expat, prefer that candidate, I think it might be able to stay open.

Or, it could just degenerate into another slanging match and get closed :o

I don't think Other is important, as it would be such a small vote, already really remote candidates are included.

OK, didn't realize we could say why we will vote for who we want.

I support Hillary Clinton because:

she will present a strong face for American foreign policy (and has more experience than Obama) in a dangerous world, but also still represents a change from the last 8 years (it is not a stretch at all to picture her as COMMANDER IN CHIEF)

she won't say it, but it is a 2 for 1, Bill Clinton is loved internationally and we need all the love we can get these days, that's a pleasant change

she does not threaten Wall Street at all, the economy will improve in another Clinton administration

she favors access to health care for all Americans (doubt this includes expats but would be nice for those who go home)

she is the only major candidate on record as opposing raising the minumum social security age of 62 and she has strongly hinted she favors raising the salary cap on social security tax for the wealthiest Americans, this one small step solves the social security funding non-crisis.

although she has strong negatives, she is a solid brand name moderate-enough democrat and can attract the independents and moderate voters, as well as sweep the women's vote, the gay vote, the Jewish vote, the secular vote, the Latino vote, the black vote, and BEAT ANY republican for sure (and they really need to be beaten)

Edited by Jingthing

Obama would be fine too. I don't believe he will be nominated, but he might be. I also think he would lose the general election due to the racism factor. People say one thing to pollsters, another thing behind the curtain, this is a proven fact.

People don't have to like or love their president personally to elect him. Look at Nixon.

Hillary Clinton does indeed come off as cold and aloof. Do you think Americans would elect Mary Poppins to be commander in chief? As the probable first woman president of the US, a truly historic possibility, well, we will have an Ice Queen.

Edited by Jingthing

I'll have to look that dude up

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0307/3128.html

The more realistic question given US political realities is which of the most likely democratic or republican nominees would be the most active towards creating a viable Palestinian state. Probably, the democrat, but maybe not, that is an interesting thing to look at.

Edited by Jingthing

Obama does appear to be the youth candidate, compared now to Bobbie Kennedy who I loved in my day and cried when he was murdered. We shall see, but you know, young people mostly don't vote. I think if I was 20 years younger I would be more for him. Now not messing with my social security is a very high priority.

Edited by Jingthing

I stipulated, "If we just say why we're voting for Candidate X, and not slander anybody else, it might make it." sbk agreed, "if you can keep it down to who you'd vote for and why you, as an expat, prefer that candidate, I think it might be able to stay open. Or, it could just degenerate into another slanging match and get closed."

I'm going to bed. All posts that violated the above rules have been trashed, regardless of their other merits. I'm going to bed, and I encourage the night shift to close it right after they delete one more post. Good night.

For many years I always hoping that Rudy Giuliani would ran for US presidency.

As a former Thai who had lived in NYC for nearly 15 years. I saw what Rudy ( as a two-terms NY Mayor) had transformed this high crimes , corrupt infested, decaying (NYC once was declared bankruptcy, and unsafe place etc., for any American or visitor to live or vist, to what it is today: The City Never Sleep. You're sure to enjoy every moment in this great city. My many friends or guests from other States have praised on Mayor a lot.

It is blessful that the Newyorkers have found Rudy Giuliani as their Mayor.

He already proved that he is a true leader ( the result spoke for itself).

I hope that any US citizen who is looking for a man who can lead the country back to the top should consider this great man.

Obama to break the racial barrier, same as many did for JFK to beak the Catholic barrier. Through that in for the Muslim issue. Think he would bring a NEW perspective to American foreign, domestic policy. 100 years ago TR was roundly criticized for inviting Booker T. Washington to the White House. My how times have changed. How refreshing to have a competent black man resident in the WH rather than domestic staff. King's dream may be coming true!

I plan to vote for John McCain in New Mexico's GOP primary and would definitely vote for him for President in the General Election. He is a man of great courage, honor and independence. Of all the candidates, he is the one that I think would not be co-opted by special interest groups -- something that has been the scourge of American politics for the last 30 years. He is far more moderate on domestic issues than any other GOP candidate and has a conservative position on foreign police, both of which fit into my personal philosophies.

Edited by farang prince

I might add as a democrat, I would LOVE to see the republicans nominate Huckabee!

Well...they wont.

It will ultimately be Guiliani against Hillary because thats what the media has been promoting. I can't see her getting elected in a national race. There will be a woman Prez eventually but it wont be her. I also think the concept of family dynastie in the WH have played out. Guiliani might pick Huckabee as VP to pacify the religious right.

I think the republican race is much more wide open now than the democratic race. It will be either Clinton or Obama for the dems, but for the republicans there could still be some kind of surprise. Predicting which side will actually win the general election is kind of absurd at this early stage, but it will probably be close.

Edited by Jingthing

Frankly, I can't imagine any Democrat not hurting me as far as taxes or return on my investments. I'm bracing myself for a delay in my early retirement/move to Thailand plan in the event one of them gets in. That aside, just for shits and kicks, I would like to see Ron Paul run as an Independent just to shake up the two monopoly parties.

That's really funny. The republicans have been poison for us expats! Weak dollar policy.

Somehow, I think that problem is deeper than something that will ever be corrected simply by electing Hillary or Obama. Whomever the GOP nominates will have to convince the voters that they will return to fiscal conservatism. I was never able to ascertain for sure because Hillary never seems to give any more info than she thinks you need, but I suspect that a big feature of her health plan will be mandatory participation via taxes whether you live in the US or not.

I'll roll with whatever happens and my plans currently are based on 25 baht/dollar

That's really funny. The republicans have been poison for us expats! Weak dollar policy.

Somehow, I think that problem is deeper than something that will ever be corrected simply by electing Hillary or Obama. Whomever the GOP nominates will have to convince the voters that they will return to fiscal conservatism. I was never able to ascertain for sure because Hillary never seems to give any more info than she thinks you need, but I suspect that a big feature of her health plan will be mandatory participation via taxes whether you live in the US or not.

I'll roll with whatever happens and my plans currently are based on 25 baht/dollar

That's my benchmark for the baht/dollar also Nova. Although I'm a registered Republican, I've split my ticket many times in national elections. We all have been equal opportunity victims of being screwed by both political parties. I do wish there was a viable third option.