Septic Systems

Beardog

Hi,

I read the recent post about septic systems & have 30 days to install a septic system.

I decided to use the gray water for irrigation(at least 30 meters away from the well. I have the designated area about 45 meters from the well, I was wondering what the simplest way to create a septic system just for the solid waste? I live in the Pattaya area, but have no government sewage system. How easy would it be to do it myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

Beardog

Plastic septic tank from HomeMart maybe 6000 or 7000 baht with the overflow going to the outside drain if you have one or leeching field if you don't, should never need emptying as long as you keep paper and such out of it. A couple of guys to dig it in and connect it maybe 2000 baht. You can't hardly do it yourself the hole is too big.

Stay away from the concrete rings, they always need emptying.

Tanks are sized in the catalog for the number of people in the house.

As I have mentioned earlier we have concrete ring type as main system and they have been pumped two times in 33 years of use. In both cases it was done to allow work on tanks/drain rather than tank being full. If you keep the bleach and such chemicals out of the tanks they work very well. Laundry and sinks should run to a gray water system and not the septic tank.

While I saw my tank go in, I didn't pay close attention to what the installer did in the process of getting it up and running and since the developer included the tank in the cost of the house, I didn't know if there were chemicals added or not.

Thanks for the posts. I am sure my cost conscious developer didn't put in any chemicals, if he could avoid it. Six years and absolutely no troubles to date.

As an aside, a crappy story if you will, a month after moving in, the toilet in the master bedroom backed up so called the developer who advised, after investigation, that that toilet had not been hooked up to the septic tank by the plumber. The next day, the poor guy showed up, connected the toilet to the septic tank and unclogged the backed up pipe and all was well. I didn't supervise that operation so cannot report how it was done, but I suspect it was a nasty job at best!

As an aside, a crappy story if you will, a month after moving in...

...my wife complained about some stink in her bathroom. whatever the plumber tried (supervised by the general contractor) nothing worked. then after using third degree questioning on the plumber he confessed that he connected the bidet without u-trap to the toilet pipe. further questioning revealed that he was confused what a bidet is used for and thought (something like) that farangs sh*t on different days of the week in different bowls :D i had a hearty laugh but my wife was NOT amused :o

surprisingly the other bathrooms (where bidets were connected too without u-trap) were not stinking. needless to say that we fixed u-traps all over which solved the problem.

Does it matter if I use cement rings instead of the premade septic setup.

You will like this one Namm. I saw the neighbor had one in blue & thought that was his water tank & was thinking how ugly & Tasteless it would look outside the Baan. No wonder it goes deep in the Ground!

You are right Rimmer about paying to have the hole dug. That ground where it is going is super compact (with rocks) No way am I feeling that energetic seeing how deep it has to go. Is 800 liter enough as the gray water won't be going in & we are only 2 people,Although we can be full of shit at times, I am not sure of the size. a couple places said the 1000 liter was probably the best. 2 bdr. only one toilet used.

What is the general consensus of cement rings compared to the 8000 baht option. I have heard just as good. & always use U-Traps & good ventilation. The contractor is really good & builds to American European standards(real rebar cages course sand on the floor before the cement & tile. Is the inlet & outlet 4" throughout the system?And should this be the black pipe or the blue as it will be buried. The premades have a 4" pipe in & 4" pipe out. I will purchase the U-Traps to make sure! Do not care to make the mistake as I have rented smelly houses already!

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Beardog

Edited by Beardog