Bangkok Universities

ianpants69

I am a student of one of Bangkok's many private universities, studying on their international programme. I am unhappy at my current university for a number of reasons. I am hoping to transfer else where before too long BUT.......

As I am sure you are all aware there are loads of universities in Bangkok to choose from and for that reason I'd like to know what you think. Which is the best, which has the best international programme / location / reputation / cheapest fees etc....????

Please tell me about your own experiences or things you have heard from someone else. Much appreciated.....

'unhappy' is perhaps the wrong word.

frankly I am dubious about the quality of the programme and the manner in which it is taught. I am also faced with difficulties related to housing as I am married with a child and the university will not allow me to stay in the university housing. There is no other suitable accomodation in the area.

I haven't got first hand knowledge, but my younger brother graduated with a bachelors degree in international business from Assumption University (ABAC)

and was quite pleased with the end result. He said the courses were very challenging and instructors quite good.

He has worked for a few different companies (in the US) since returning home and now has a good job at Levi Strauss in San Francisco.

'unhappy' is perhaps the wrong word.

frankly I am dubious about the quality of the programme and the manner in which it is taught. I am also faced with difficulties related to housing as I am married with a child and the university will not allow me to stay in the university housing. There is no other suitable accomodation in the area.

I'd appreciate it if you would PM me the school...but only if it's Bangkok University :o I'd suggest you possibly consider Webster University in Huan Hin/Cha'am. It's another I'm considering and they award you a U.S.A accredited degree. From what I understand employers world-wide won't even know you didn't attend the stateside campus. They have an office in bangkok also.

Bangkok university does look pretty good as do Thammasat and ABAC but I would love to get an insider's perspective.

I have heard good things about Webster's too but am keen to stay in Bangkok for the work that I need to pay my way through the course.

Bangkok university does look pretty good as do Thammasat and ABAC but I would love to get an insider's perspective.

I have heard good things about Webster's too but am keen to stay in Bangkok for the work that I need to pay my way through the course.

It depends a lot on your chosen field of study Ian.

It depends a lot on your chosen field of study Ian.

For bird watching which is the best I wonder?

I used to teach conversational English to university aged Thai students in a school in Siam Square. The ones that were from ABAC and other schools where the classes are all English, were generally much sharper and open minded. The students from Chula or Thammasat had the poorest English skills. This might not be anything for a Farang going to university in Bangkok to consider as a criteria in choosing a school, but it shows that many of the 'Big Name' schools are just that, big names.

Chula and Thammasat are generally considered to be the best Thai universities and these cater for the native population and English is not a requirement.

That is why the language abilitiy may be not as good as else where.

There is also AIT out at Rangsit, although I do not know if they offer an MBA programme.

Regards,

Chula and Thammasat are generally considered to be the best Thai universities and these cater for the native population and English is not a requirement.

This is an area where I think Thais really have a big hang up with 'face.'

These two schools are considered the most prestigious, are the most difficult to get into yet produce some of the most poorly prepared graduates I have ever seen. I have met graduates of technical schools working in hotels who have a better command of English than many graduates of these 'top schools.'

Just my 2 baht's worth.

The order of the big names is Chula # 1, Thammasat # 2. As both are State uni's there shouldn't be big fee differences.

Is that the order for bird watching quality as well, Dr.?

That's a bit out of my league I'm afraid. Ole George does the bird watching, and in Chang he gets dangerous. Programs in the English language are offered at both of the two ' prestigious ' universities these days.

Chula farang fees are in the order of 270,000 a year while Thammasat is more like 50,000. So Chula is clearly out but it is interesting to here that about ABAC, the level of English at my current place is pretty appalling, and as you said, it doesn't really affect me but it does make me wonder how the ###### they can learn anything.