Hand Foot Mouth Disease Outbreak In Rayong

george

Kindergarten school in Rayong closed following hand foot mouth disease outbreak

RAYONG: -- A kindergarten school in this eastern province closed for 11 days starting Friday following an outbreak of hand foot mouth disease.

Somsri Kaewan, director of the Kuanghua School said the school was closed because a kindergartener got the disease while four other students were suspected of contracting it.

Doctor Wiwat Wiriyakijja, chief public health officer of Rayong, said so far 15 children had fallen ill with the disease this month.

-- The Nation 2007-12-14

15 students discovered to have Hand Foot and Mouth disease in Rayong

Rayong Province Public Health Official Doctor Vivat Viriyakija (วิวัฒน์ วิริยะกิจจา) has revealed that during the cooler month of October officials in the province discovered several cases of Hand Foot and Mouth disease. The illness was mostly found in pre-school aged children or children under the age of 10.

Doctor Vivat stated that in December there have been 15 confirmed cases of the disease, all involving children. The province has ordered the closure of several primary schools and is closely monitoring the situation. Authorities also instructed schools to watch for symptoms such as fevers or sores, stating that they should prompt immediate medical attention as the illness is contagious.

The province has now organized volunteers and health officials to give knowledge to local schools and citizens on how to recognize the disease as well as safeguard themselves.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 December 2007

How exactly is this spread? I wonder if it would help if people wore shoes indoors (in places like schools) or if they spent less time on the floor--sitting on the floor, eating on the floor etc.?

This isn't a dig at anything cultural, just curious as to how to best to avoid spreading it around. Personally, I find it just too darn hot to wear shoes most of the time and even at work I prefer running around with my shoes off.