Can Anyone Interpret

sutnyod

Taken on Rachadamnoen Avenue

For the best of my knowledge.

This is part of the setting for celebrating Thai democracy, in which it occured on Dec.10 every year, it's also Thai national holiday.

Those stacking books on the 'paan' represents laws and justic.

I think your right. The 10th of December is Constitution Day (Wan Rattatamanoon). Those are supposed to be scrolls or documents to represent the constitution.

...need to add, Thais call this date (Dec. 10) " won-cha-rong-rut-tum-ma-noon" ( = The day for celebrating Demorcracy)

It looks like a giant set of candles + incense sticks + decoration made of banana leaves (or lotus flower?), a typical offering people give to monks in sign of respect. The golden and red tray underneath also looks like the trays used in such occasions.

Could be to show respect to His Majesty the King for his 80th birthday.

Edited by pete_r

I think it is a "pantob-tean' "Pan" is the offering bowl. "Tob" is the incense. "Tean" is the candle. It is used in many different ceremonies to show respect. We gave one to my wife's parents during our wedding ceremony. My wife made them in school to give to the teacher on teachers day.

This one you pictured, may be from the King's birthday? To show respect to him.

They usually have bannana leaves and flowers to decorate them.

Here is a picture of one for a wedding ceremony.

Edited by meandwi

For the best of my knowledge.

This is part of the setting for celebrating Thai democracy, in which it occured on Dec.10 every year, it's also Thai national holiday.

Those stacking books on the 'paan' represents laws and justic.

so where are the tanks?

Thanks everyone. I had a great laugh, because some of you seem to have the same problem: I was wondering what the heck does the combination of offering bowl, dynamite, and a carnival hat mean. Now that meandwi says so it starts more to look like a pantob tian. Would have NEVER! EVER! recognized it. :o