Getting Married In Phuket

shadiadi

I have lived in Thailand for 10 years and want to get married to my Thai girlfriend in Phuket we just want to go to the local Tambon office and register our marriage. I have been looking on the internet and it says i have to go to my embassy in Bangkok is this correct?

I have looked at the British Consular form and it asks me my name details etc asks for the name of my father my mother. I do not know my fathers name and my mother (who i haven't spoken to in 8 years) has been married so many times i am unsure of her new name or where she is. Also asks for an address in the UK unavailable to me. I live here work here what can i do? I am single never been married before i just want to get married the people to confirm my affirmation would have to be Thai people as i have had no contact with anyone in the UK in years and everyone i did know have dissappeared or died. What can I do?

The registrar in Phuket will require a paper from the British Government to certify you maritial status in the UK, whether never been married or divorced. This paper is an affidavit, drawn up by yourself (embassy will supply you an example), regarding you present marital status. Take to the British Embassy in Bangkok and get them to ensorse your signature (can't remember what they charge). You do not need to supply any other supporting paperwork to the embassy.

Then just go to Tambon with that paper & British Passport and get married.

That's the way I did it several years ago.

Edited by LivinginKata

Did it all earlier this year. You do need the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from the British Embassy. download the form from their website and fill it in. As far as the references are concerned I don't think they bother to check with them, they didn't with me. I don't think they actually care, you are signing a legal document stating you are not married, if it turns out you are, that's your problem. The cost is 3500 baht and normally takes 1 day. Once you have got it back you then need it translated and stamped by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. There are many agents around the Embassy that will do all this for you, and some in 1 day.

Once you have the paperwork the process in Phuket takes about 20 minutes and costs 100 baht.

Ah yes, forgot about the translation. That was the most difficult part as we did not know where the Government translation office was located. We just used an agent near the embassy, and they posted the documents back to us in Phuket as we did not want to spend another night in Bangkok.

Did it all earlier this year. You do need the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from the British Embassy. download the form from their website and fill it in. As far as the references are concerned I don't think they bother to check with them, they didn't with me. I don't think they actually care, you are signing a legal document stating you are not married, if it turns out you are, that's your problem. The cost is 3500 baht and normally takes 1 day. Once you have got it back you then need it translated and stamped by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. There are many agents around the Embassy that will do all this for you, and some in 1 day.

Once you have the paperwork the process in Phuket takes about 20 minutes and costs 100 baht.

can the embassy part be done by post or must it be done in person?

isn't the birth certificate of the person needed by the british embassy?? was a few years ago so can't recall. If that is the case then if your fathers name isn't mentioned on it then leave that part of the affirmation of freedom to marry off the form or write unknown. If it isn't needed then still write unknown, you wont be the first & probably wont be the last to now know. As to your mothers name, just put what you last knew it to be & use a family address as your Uk address. No one checks.

Without the affirmation of freedom to marry you will be unable to legally marry in Thailand. As others have said, get the AFM get it translated into thai then off to the MFA for certification then you are free to marry.

I am wondering why the british embassy don' have a consul in Phuket?

Yes, I too wonder that. We are lucky to get one consular visit a year, and the very young guy they sent a few years ago was hopeless. I wanted to resister my marriage in Thailand, oh... don't have the form, will post when I get back to Bangkok... never received anything.

Other nationals have an excellent German Consulte, a well respected French consulate (although I think he just retired), and even now a newly opened Irish Consulate. Belgian might have some presence.

Did you have to take two witnesses with you to the Phuket Amphur? I read somewhere that some places require this.

They do have an Honorary Consul.

Mr. Alan Cooke CBE. He can be contacted via Island Furniture on Chao Fah Road West.

Alan has no actual power to do anything much. Unlike German, French, & Irish consulate who do have official consular status, and can process various consular & visa applications onto their main embassies in Bangkok.

So can't this guy Alan process the affirmation to be married then?

As far as I can see all our British Honorary Consulate cab do is offer verbal advice and point distressed Brits in the correct direction. Considering the number of British Nationals residents here on the island and the number of transient visitors every year, I consider it a disgrace that we do not have some sort of official consular services here on the island.

They do have an Honorary Consul.

Mr. Alan Cooke MBE. He can be contacted via Island Furniture on Chao Fah Road West.

Alan has no actual power to do anything much. Unlike German, French, & Irish consulate who do have official consular status, and can process various consular & visa applications onto their main embassies in Bangkok.

Wrong. Very wrong. Check your facts before making uninformed statements.

Wrong. Very wrong. Check your facts before making uninformed statements.

Ok, can you inform me (& others) what powers an honorary consul has. Just last month I had to make my way up to Bangkok for a new passport. Perhaps I could have applied here in Phuket if our consul has a bag service to Bangkok.

The registrar in Phuket will require a paper from the British Government to certify you maritial status in the UK, whether never been married or divorced. This paper is an affidavit, drawn up by yourself (embassy will supply you an example), regarding you present marital status. Take to the British Embassy in Bangkok and get them to ensorse your signature (can't remember what they charge). You do not need to supply any other supporting paperwork to the embassy.

Then just go to Tambon with that paper & British Passport and get married.

That's the way I did it several years ago.

I have been reading most topics on this forum for the last few days now. And it stands out a mile that one member talks the most <deleted> with the amount of posts made by him. It seems that he has not much of a life outside this forum. Livinginkata.. You mean living in thaivisa.com. Mind that <deleted>

post-55332-1198574657_thumb.jpg

I have been reading most topics on this forum for the last few days now. And it stands out a mile that one member talks the most <deleted> with the amount of posts made by him. It seems that he has not much of a life outside this forum. Livinginkata.. You mean living in thaivisa.com. Mind that <deleted>

:o

:o

Edited by phukethovercraft