Kawasaki Ninja 250

Chris78

Good report on the first 300kms. However, apart from the comment on the seat pushing you towards the tank (which I found myself) it seems like you’re riding a different bike to the one I bought.

My Ninja starts at the push of the button hot or cold, I’m not sure if I blip the throttle or not as I don’t really think about it but I can never remember the bike not starting first time. I use 91 in mine.

You say “there so much torque you aren't forced to constantly be adjusting yourself and your gear to get the most performance.” Whilst I was quite surprised how “torquey” it was between 4k and 7k, this was because I was expecting it to be completely dead below 7k and it wasn’t. I wouldn’t consider the amount of torque that it has to be a fault, just a relief that it doesn’t have less.

Also, you say it feels nervous at 80 (and over) which has really surprised me. Mine feels glued to the road until 130, the limit I’ve reached so far as I’ve not had the opportunity to take it outside Bangkok due to work commitments. If you’re getting a lot of shake at 80 kmh then I’d really suggest getting the bike checked out because I’ve never heard of this before or experienced it on my own bike.

As for the wind shield, I don’t notice the wind hitting me, but it sounds like you are quite a tall guy so maybe this one just goes right over my head

Enjoy the "Iron Butt" ride tomorrow everyone, I’m extremely jealous and hope to make the next one.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bang Sean is a sure one, I'll be there.

See you there for sure Tony, have a great ride guys and enjoy bastard job killed the trip for me so I feel devastated to not be able to join you all. Be safe and have loads of fun.

Cheers Bard

My bike revs on idle at about 2000 rpm. I will get them to alter it when I get it serviced in a few weeks. I find the torque is a good feature. You can be in 6th at 100kph twist the throttle and it will surge forward (enough for me anyway, maybe not old Bard!).

I had a CBR150 a couple of years ago and the ninja feels far more stable, a lot quicker and the brakes are far better. I agree that it should have a fuel guage.

My only problem is the lights. They are excellent, maybe too good. I can't ride with full beam at night as cars keep flashing me. Also they flash me when I have dipped on at night. Does anyone else have this problem?

I like the looks you get when you're on the ninja. You could buy a 2 million plus Baht car and it wouldn't get as many heads turning a a 150K baht bike. I always was a bit of a poser :o

Hehe you got me there BigGuns, long time no see. I'll be home the 24th late evening but I'll give you a call within a couple of days after I'm home. Found some nice routes in Rayong with good scenery twisty partly hilly roads we can do. Also hope to meet up with KLX250 and try out his bike.

maybe he want to join in one of the short trips in the countryside.

You want to join up to check out the bike week in Bang Saen?

Cheers Bard

Hi Bard, yes I'd be up for a blast in the country. Tonight is my Stag Night. Its in Pattaya so I don't know what state I'll be in tomorrow :o

Next week I'm up to Bangkok to get measured up for a new suit for my wedding. Give me a bell when you get back into the county and we'll arrange something. I'll have to come over to your place to meet your dogs this time.

Checked out the speedometer yesterday, and driving in exactly 120 km/h speedo reading I clocked 108 km/h on my GPS, tried different speeds and found it to be 10% off so in 160 it was 144 and so on. Tested out 3 cars afterwards and found the same thing really, so it appears to be the norm.

Cheers Bard

Hi Bard,

Welcome home! I bet it's good to be back!

Wow, I'm surprised the Ninja's speedo is so far off- I mean after all, the Japanese usually engineer things so well, why do you think speedos are an exception? Do you know if there is any way to adjust/correct the error?

I've been topping out my 250R at ~170km/hr on the speedo, but if what you're saying is accurate I'm actually only going about ~155km/hr :D

Will you be at the Bangsaen Bike Rally on Friday or Saturday or both? I'll be there Friday as I can't make it on Saturday. Hope we can hook up for a ride one of these days. I'd also very much like to try the Bira track but I think it would be more fun to go with you to see how the stock 250R compares to your Area P 250R.

1125NinjaFairingsSm.jpg

I've got the bike all stripped down for a deep clean after the Iron Butt Massacre so while it's naked I'm going to chop the fender- should look a lot better without that huge hunk of plastic hanging off the end :D

1125NoFenderNinjaSm.jpg

7350 on the odometer now- almost time for new tires- Did you get the BT 090's yet? The stock IRC's have done an adequate job for me, they've stuck to the pavement very nicely all the way to the edges, though I don't trust them at all when they're cold or wet. I think going up to a 140 rear will look a bit nicer too. :o

7350OdoSm.jpg

Happy Trails!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

The BT 090's are on it's way, won't be able to get them on before Bang Saen though, I will be there on Friday still struggling with my better half of what she decide to do. I hope I can ride, I mean it's bike week not SUV weekend...

I chopped the fender by replacing it with the Targa no cut fender, which is nicely fit and included LED blinkers and a billet light for the plate. I was very surprised over the speedo, but the Garmin was consistent on the readings so 10% off I'm afraid. Doing some calculations you can replace the front tyre with a 120 which should rectify it actually.

I will leave again next Friday unless the yellow shirts continue blocking the airport, but will be home the 28th and be home for 5 weeks finally so we can do some driving then, Neng is keen on a trip I have been planning for a while so Franz and the rest would probably join as well. Let's do the Bira it's great and I love pushing the bike there, great chance to hone the skills as well. When I'm back I will have the new tires plus hopefully the PC3USB mapped for my bike on a dyno, then you would enjoy the full potential of the bike when you test it out vs stock on Bira.

Hi Guys ... I'm a fellow Ninja 250 rider living here in BKK. Are any of you riding up to Chiang Mai for Bike week? I'm looking for some riding buddies to ride up on the 5th and back on the 7th. I'm also up for rides just about any weekend. Are there any 250 riding clubs in BKK?

Hi Ithailian

Nice to meet you- just got back from the Iron Butt Massacre and ready for more! I'm riding back up for the Chiang Mai Bike Week with some other bikers. We're leaving Bangkok bright and early on the morning of the 5th. Meet at the Beverly Hotel on Ratchadapisek at 0700.

We've not yet decided if we're going to blast to CM in a day or overnight somewhere in the middle. I'm fine either way though personally I'd love to do the brilliant Tak-Mae Sot-Mae Sariang-CM loop again.

There is a big Thai Ninja 250R club. Here's the link: http://www.ninja250thailand.com/

Not aware of any farang club in the Big Mango yet. Perhaps it's time we start one! :o

I'll send you my contact info via PM, so let me know if you're interested in the ride to CM. Also riding to Bangsaen for this weekend's MC Rally there- should be a good time!

Happy Trails!

Marc Anthony (Tony)

1124DoiInthanonSm.jpg

JEEEEEEZ travel mate where do you live can i come around and check ya bins please. see if you have thrown away any good stuff lately. maybe a bike cos its got scuff marks or a car that need's new tyres. i think you were only joking but PLEASE...................

Also any Kawasaki shop can order Thai made parts and receive in 2 days. you may have to provide all the part numbers but thats not a problem. i think Rama 9 head office have all the details and carry spares instock.

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Also Dave are you going to BAAN SAEN bike show.

Allan

Nope, I'm scheduled to depart on the fifth, but guess that depends on PAD now doesn't it?

And no, I'm not going to bin the bike. I was thinking about getting it re-sprayed, and most definitely the rear fairing replaced, but what do y'all say about these graphics?

14092d1189346226-do-you-know-where-i-can-get-monster-energy-decals-monster-decal.jpg

Here's an ebay seller with decals, unfortunately I can not find originals.

Personly i dont like the Monster theme but hey each their own. rather than respray can you not cover it with vinyl and do a one off design. and Baan Saen is tmorro saturday. i hope to see ya there if ya can make it.

have you got the pricing for the rear tail fairing. is it a fair price or expensive?

Allan

So got the hugger finished and fitted on, looks nice even if I do say so myself. It actually went smoother than I expected, although the Glass fibre guys were crap, it ended up twice as thick and heavy than necessary, cos they couldn't get the shape right so they just kept adding, eventually I gave up on them, brought it home and took the grinder to it myself.

B4 spraying and a lot more wet'n'dry

post-64189-1228033839_thumb.jpg

...and after

post-64189-1228033870_thumb.jpg

post-64189-1228033888_thumb.jpg

post-64189-1228033910_thumb.jpg

Here's an interesting one, my mate had his custom painted, turned out this clip they copied from a mag is actually the 2009 colours.

post-64189-1228033958_thumb.jpg

and lastly, I had my frank thomas panniers brought over from the UK, so I filled them with towels and fitted them, sat the bitch on the back and went for a spin, they fit snug, no movement and she said she was comfortable enough, we'll see if she's still saying that after Chiangmai bike week. Hope to see some of you there, look out for a black ninja with silver hugger, I'm pretty sure it's the only one out there.

post-64189-1228033979_thumb.jpg

To bad I can't join the bikeweek in CM, really had a great time in Bang Saen with the guys. I am supposed to leave the 5th for Africa again. Really would like to check out the hugger there NinjaGladiator.

Cheers Bard

Well Bard,

If the stalemate continues at the airports perhaps you'll get to enjoy an extended holiday, eh? :o

Seriously- if the airport is still closed on the 5th you should think about cruising up with us. Only a 7 hour ride (well, perhaps 8 or 9 for you coming from Rayong...) Even if/when the mobs disperse it will take at least 48/72 hours before the airport can become operational again.

It would be great if you could join us for the CM Bike Week, but if you can't I'm sure we'll catch up with you soon!

Happy Trails!

Tony and Nong

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the invite believe me I would love to, but working for Oil and Gas is BS because they already sorted me out over U-Tapao airport to Singapore. So I am forced to go the 5th :o my flight is 19:00 so that was my hope for extended leave...

Will be home the 28th though so it's a short one this time luckily and 5 weeks on my bike when I come home. So let's do something mid Jan towards the end when you're home buddy. I will join Rayong Riders annual Northern run in January for a 10 day trip in the tranquility of the North so you guys should def try to join that one, 46 bikes of all sorts in a nice group ride.

Cheers Bard

Cheers Bard,

I hear U-tapao is a real nice place to fly out of- NOT! But then I imagine you've seen far worse. :o

Intersting comment/observation/question- I brought the Ninjette in to Kawasaki Rama 9 today to do the 6000km service even though I'm already up to nearly 8000km on the odometer. (It's ok because I did an early oil and filter change just before the trip to Chiang Mai a couple of weeks ago when I was at about 4800km).

But anyway- after I got the bike back today and looked over the paperwork I noticed that they changed the oil but not the filter...

That seemed strange, I've always changed both at the same time, but the techs at Kawasaki insisted that this was normal and that the filter did not need to be changed until the next service at 12,000km.

Ah well- the bike's under warranty and I'm riding it hard, so if it breaks I guess I'll get a new engine. It was late and I wanted to get home so I didn't push too hard.

What do you think? Ever heard of changing the oil and not the filter? Think it matters much?