Kawasaki Ninja 250

Chris78

Hi Anthony,

Like I said previously, messing with a fuel injected engine's airbox often does more harm than good. I'd recommend you dyno the bike before and after mods, because I suspect you'll do better with the stock airbox. If you want to use Cone Filters you'll have to remove the airbox altogether. This is a common mod on the US carburated Ninja, but it's unlikely to improve performace on the Thai Fuel Injected Ninja.

I wonder what powercommander you will order since there isn't one specifically designed for the Thai Ninja 250R yet...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure Powercommander has a box for the Ninja, but Blue Lightning racing sure does!

They manufacture the I-CON II for fuel injected bikes and have a model specifically for the Ninja.

http://www.blr-jp.com/i-con-2/index.html

Kawasaki model numbers

I have a KLX 250, they are currently dyno testing a version for my bike (and the D-tracker which has the same engine).

I'm not sure on the Ninja, but the KLX is seriously slowed down by the injection controller!

Not sure Powercommander has a box for the Ninja, but Blue Lightning racing sure does!

They manufacture the I-CON II for fuel injected bikes and have a model specifically for the Ninja.

http://www.blr-jp.com/i-con-2/index.html

That is a NICE looking FI Controller :o Don't suppose they have an English website or you can read Japanese? :D Man the Yen is strong these days... Y54,600 is about US$600 or 21,000THB... :D

Powercommander is out for the fuel injected Ninja, BUT it is for the EU model which has a restricted ECU. In Thailand we don't so as I wrote in the Dyno thread, DS has a brand new Dyno and will test out the Powercommander on the Thai Ninja to see if it fits and work well. I have put forth my bike to be tested so they can see an exhaust tuned version and I also put forth Tony's stock ninja to check what it can do for his. Then when the results are clear we can post the Dyno sheets and people will know if it's worth the money or not, Price in Thailand is 15,000,- Baht installed on your bike.

Cheers Bard

I am wondering what sort of coin you blokes are chucking at your Ninja's to make them go a little harder? I understand buggerising around with bikes is half the fun (the other half being riding them) but what sort of coin are you parting with for what amount of increased performance? :o

I spent 525 $ for the Area-P which gave a huge increase, I will test the powercommander before I consider buying it. And yes for me half the fun is to tinker with the bike. Its not free lunch though so it cost some money, but the pleasure makes it worth every cent.

If I sum up all the things I spend money on the Ninja comes out cheap, it will last me several years and it will give loads of fun the whole way, so all in all even if I burnt 4K $ for the bike plus 1K $ for mods and have fun with it for say 5 years then sell it for say 2K $ it cost me a total of 600 $ per year or 50 $ per month and that is way less than what I spend for say beer...

Cheers Bard

I spent 525 $ for the Area-P which gave a huge increase, I will test the powercommander before I consider buying it. And yes for me half the fun is to tinker with the bike. Its not free lunch though so it cost some money, but the pleasure makes it worth every cent.

If I sum up all the things I spend money on the Ninja comes out cheap, it will last me several years and it will give loads of fun the whole way, so all in all even if I burnt 4K $ for the bike plus 1K $ for mods and have fun with it for say 5 years then sell it for say 2K $ it cost me a total of 600 $ per year or 50 $ per month and that is way less than what I spend for say beer...

Cheers Bard

I'm certainly not having a chop at you Bard, I'm just reading about pipes, powercommanders, sprokets, filters & wondering what sort of total power increases are being acheived. I take it from what is already written no one has actually fitted the powercommander yet due to the EU model w/carbor & the injected model here. There is obviously alot more to a bike than just this, but blokes being blokes, power & performance is obviously a factor. I havent owned a 250cc (roadbike) for many years, in fact I did briefly own a Kawasaki ZZR250 back in about 1992 or 93, I cant remember, I bought it as a commuter and was highly unimpressed with it. Having said that my Yamaha WR250 (Dirt bike) was a real cracker...if you understand my point. I am sure the Ninja 250 has come along way from my old ZZR, braking and suspension would be far superior, I was just interested in knowing what sort of power increases you were getting for your coin and also what someone with all the mods was achieving, which was what I think you were trying to look at earlier in one of your threds or posts.

Anyway, your at least very entertaining, don't let me interupt. :o

Just wondering how many peeps have pulled their snorkel.

Has anyone run the bike on a dyno after performing this mod and if so what were the results?

Dying to give it a go but a little apprehensive about buggering it up as apparantently it makes the bike run leaner and this can potentially cause issues with heat/engine/cyclinders.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by tuktukracer

tuktuk your FI bike will compensate for pulling the snorkel but in reality unless ya get ya self a new exhaust there is not much point. i think Bard and Tony have already done this mod.

I am very lucky cos i dont get to pull my snorkel very often due to having a beotiful girlfriend she pulls it for me :D:o:D

tuktuk your FI bike will compensate for pulling the snorkel but in reality unless ya get ya self a new exhaust there is not much point. i think Bard and Tony have already done this mod.

I am very lucky cos i dont get to pull my snorkel very often due to having a beotiful girlfriend she pulls it for me :D:o:D

Cheers for the response. I've just pulled me snorkel and feel so relieved now ..lol. No seriously, I've just done the mod (throwing caution to the wind) and it does make a notable difference in sound though TBH I've not really noticed any power increase.

I've got the full area p exhaust on order. It should be with me in a week or so (already been wks).

Bard has kindly offered to fit it for me when he's back from work.

Another quickie: would it be recommeded to replace the snorkel when washing down the bike or in wet weather. I ask this because the hole into in the air box is now bigger and more open to the elements.

Edited by tuktukracer

The snorkel pull helps on the 10 000 rpm power hole on the bike, not by much but you can notice it with the snorkel there is a slight dump in the power around 10 000 rpm which goes away when it's pulled. Stock exhaust is extremely restricted so most of the gains lay there to be honest.

When we remove the system on your bike you can look into the inlet of the end can and you will be surprised any exhaust comes out of it, and the header contains a catalytic converter which also restrict flow a big deal. When Tony have time I will help him mod his stock to get these restrictions away and since there now is a dyno station available from January it will be fun to see what that does as well compared to aftermarket system.

Cheers Bard

Ok just read the post of bang for the bucks for the mods.

The Area-P gives you two big things really, first of all you notice the real deep throaty sound which is in my humble opinion almost worth it alone. Then when you drive you notice it is much more torque and gear changes are way less necessary, you also notice the power increase. I am 90 kilo :o and my wife is around 60 I donno she refuse to tell me. After the mod the bike cruises very easily in 140 with both on, uphill or whatever. I cruised with her from Bang Saen back home in 140 - 160 all the way with no problems at all. In stock it was not that easy to do, also when you pass cars you do not need to gear down to get the power to swiftly pass you just twist the throttle and it comes right on. For me that is really worth the money. Also the growl when you drive and the typical holler as from a ... well Japanese two cyl race bike at top is a good feeling, call me nuts but I like it. Same as I like the induction sound from the pulled snorkel. The Quiet core is definitely not quiet, and the shorter system could be a bit to much for cruising on highway, the quiet core is just at my comfort level. In stock the sound from idle is dull and at high rev it sounds like something weird and not a real engine.

Now the Powercommander I cannot say anything about until I actually test my bike with and without at DS, and I will not purchase it until I have done so. If it proves to be a good mod I'll do it if not I won't, I'm quite happy as it is right now...

Cheers Bard

Cheers Bard

When Tony have time I will help him mod his stock to get these restrictions away and since there now is a dyno station available from January it will be fun to see what that does as well compared to aftermarket system.

Man- I arrived in Holland yesterday and it's solid fog, cold, grey and mist... I wanna go home to the sunny LOS and mod my Ninja!!! :o

Whenever I get down on Thailand all I have to do is leave for a while to be reminded what a wonderful place it is! :D

I'm going to get a green 2009 series in January as my first "big" bike. When I test drive it tomorrow it will be the first time I use a manual clutch on a bike!

What is the difference between the 2008 and 2009? I think I saw the 2009 at Chiang Mai Bike Week had a fuel gauge instead of temperature gauge, is there anything else?

Does it come with a passenger seat by default or is that an extra?

Any tips on where to get protective gear in Chiang Mai? What kind of gear is best suited for riding in Thailand?

Thanks, awesome thread, just finished reading all 23 pages of it :o

beam me up .................find the time dude.

Monkeydoom. No idea the difference but i can say the Chaing mai kawa dealer is the dogs <deleted> excellent service. if ya have a look on gt-riders forum there is a market in Cm taichiluk or something where you can buy some decent kit.

ALLAN

I'm going to get a green 2009 series in January as my first "big" bike. When I test drive it tomorrow it will be the first time I use a manual clutch on a bike!

What is the difference between the 2008 and 2009? I think I saw the 2009 at Chiang Mai Bike Week had a fuel gauge instead of temperature gauge, is there anything else?

Does it come with a passenger seat by default or is that an extra?

Any tips on where to get protective gear in Chiang Mai? What kind of gear is best suited for riding in Thailand?

Thanks, awesome thread, just finished reading all 23 pages of it :o

While the Ninja 250R is certainly not a "Big Bike" it is very big on the fun factor. :D

If you've never ridden a motorcycle with a clutch I would strongly recommend you solicit the help of a friend who knows how to ride and is willing to give you some pointers. You don't want to drop your shiny new toy!

Passenger pillion seat comes standard. When I bought mine they threw in the racing cowl for free. I'm not sure if it's still a freebie, but it can't be expensive to buy if you'd like one.

Don't know about good riding gear in CM. I get most of mine from Dirt Shop and The Paddock in BKK. Internet mail order can also be a good way to go.

Don't cut corners on your gear- it can save your life and prevent a lot of wear and tear! Proper helmet, gloves and footwear are a must. Armored jacket highly recommended. I'm still looking for good riding pants.

I heard there will be a new paint scheme on 2009 but no other changes. Odd the bike you saw had a fuel gauge. The Thai FI version is supposed to have a temp gauge where the fuel gauge is on the US model.

Enjoy your new Ninja- it's a crazy fun bike on the twisty mountain roads of northern Thailand! :D

While the Ninja 250R is certainly not a "Big Bike" it is very big on the fun factor. :D

If you've never ridden a motorcycle with a clutch I would strongly recommend you solicit the help of a friend who knows how to ride and is willing to give you some pointers. You don't want to drop your shiny new toy!

Passenger pillion seat comes standard. When I bought mine they threw in the racing cowl for free. I'm not sure if it's still a freebie, but it can't be expensive to buy if you'd like one.

Don't know about good riding gear in CM. I get most of mine from Dirt Shop and The Paddock in BKK. Internet mail order can also be a good way to go.

Don't cut corners on your gear- it can save your life and prevent a lot of wear and tear! Proper helmet, gloves and footwear are a must. Armored jacket highly recommended. I'm still looking for good riding pants.

I heard there will be a new paint scheme on 2009 but no other changes. Odd the bike you saw had a fuel gauge. The Thai FI version is supposed to have a temp gauge where the fuel gauge is on the US model.

Enjoy your new Ninja- it's a crazy fun bike on the twisty mountain roads of northern Thailand! :o

Well, I had my first 30 minutes of test driving and I got the hang of the clutch pretty quickly. Then I was up to 140 before I knew it. Pretty addictive. They are now selling the 250R for 144,900 at the CM dealership. No freebies. I didn't want the seat cowl, but I heard they previously sold it for 139,900 with a helmet thrown in. Guess I'm too late. They said they sold about 20-30 during the last 6 months, mostly to Thais.

The one I rode had a temp gauge... maybe I was just imagining that fuel gauge. They said it was the 2009 model... is there any way I can know for sure? It looked a lot like the 2008 pictures, same paint job too. Hmm. Anyway, still gonna get one in January.

monkeyofdoom you went to the chaing mai dealer right. and they gave you a 30 min test drive.......... told you they were tops. and that was just after talking to them on the phone..

you have to get one mate. i dont think there are any differences 2008-2009.

fuel gauge and temp gauge would be nice. but in Thailand i would go temp over fuel.

Allan

ps i'm up in CM over xmas rent a ninja and we can go for a ride.

Edited by thaicbr

Were can I get me one of these bad boys? a greeny in Bangkok?Sorry I dont have the time to read all the 23 pages.

Ahem... well, if you'll take the time to read the thread you'll see I posted a map to the Kwacker dealership... :o

Ahem... as I stated | dont have the time. I am working in Nigeria and have to share a computor with 500 other guys . Perhaps you could be so kind and point me to the right page!!

Well everyone needs something to make the day go by thrust me I've worked in bloody Nigeria and that would be a great thing to plan ahead to get home.

Also if you're in another place than the big mango, you can buy one in Mitoyont Pattaya, they've got test bikes which you can take out for a spin as well, plus very helpful and friendly service.

Cheers Bard

Hi Chaps.

I've just received the Area P full carbon exhaust.

I was going to wait for Bard to return so he could help out fitting it but I'm gagging to get it on now.

Is there any descent places in Pattaya anyone could recommend that could fit this for me.

I'm tempted to have a go myself but have zero mechanical experience, though to be fair it doesn't look too difficult.

Big question: what happens to the lambda sensor when i remove the stock exhaust? There's no fitting for it on the Area P.

Cheers!

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUUUUUUUUUS Bard told you to opt for the one with lambda fitting you have to ask for the bung to be fitted.

I'm surprised that Area P sent it to Thailand without checking cos they know that we need it on on the Ninja here.

Tuk you are Now going to have to wait as you need to get a bung welded onto you bright shiny new exhaust. Bard knows where.

He's going to be here soon.

Allan