Kawasaki Ninja 250

Chris78

Main dealers are still saying August with no date specified. The price never changes so I think we'll definately be looking at 150k.

But there is some nonsence on this thread. For those that have stated otherwise: The Ninja 250r was already the best selling bike in the USA, it's probably gonna have much higher sales this year. Rayong is making bikes for both US and EU markets, the EU pices are all fuel-injection because of higher emission standards, the US don't have the same standard so they decided on the carbs to keep the cost down. The Fuel-Inj models will probably give around another 5kph and the Thai bike should be able to touch 180kph.

For all the wingers out there, you can't compare the price of this bike with the USA, it's nothing to do with Kawi, it's the taxation system, we're actually lucky it's gonna be as cheap as this. In the UK it's retailing for 3,299 quid, nearly double that of the USA and approx 50,000bt higher than Thailand. However larger bikes like the Yam R6 are higher in Thailand by 33% more than UK prices.

150k that's the price of it, if you're from the states it sounds expensive if your from Europe it sounds a bargain.

People keep harping on about Thais can't afford things like this, your all seeing the wrong things. There's a lot of rich Thais, and a lot of well off Thais, there are a lot of young spoilt Thais with well-off mummies and daddies. There's a lot of Thais with easy credit at their disposal. Remember Thais prefer anything that others can see, eg. a big house from the outside, no furniture on the inside, no money in the bank but 5bt of gold round the neck. A bmw 3 series, with bald tyres, no insurance and no service, getting the picture. Thais will buy these bikes, believe it, and they will be in demand and people will be waiting a long time for them.

NG

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Main dealers are still saying August with no date specified. The price never changes so I think we'll definately be looking at 150k.

But there is some nonsence on this thread. For those that have stated otherwise: The Ninja 250r was already the best selling bike in the USA, it's probably gonna have much higher sales this year.

NG

I sometimes spout nonsense, but what are you saying - that a teensy weensy little bike is the largest seller in the USA? Or that it is the

largest seller in the nearly nonexistent class that nobody buys? Last time I rode in the States, a 500 cc Suzuki was considered too small and gutless.

But there is some nonsence on this thread. For those that have stated otherwise: The Ninja 250r was already the best selling bike in the USA, it's probably gonna have much higher sales this year. Rayong is making bikes for both US and EU markets, the EU pices are all fuel-injection because of higher emission standards, the US don't have the same standard so they decided on the carbs to keep the cost down. The Fuel-Inj models will probably give around another 5kph and the Thai bike should be able to touch 180kph.

I'm hoping your prediction is right about even more being sold; that would mean the economy is going back up rather than the dismal slide we've seen it in! I do know that running carbs was definitely to keep the cost down; I'm not so optimistic about the projected speeds though. I've seen 25 HP tossed around for the carb version. How much is the fuel injected supposed to put out? According to my reckoning, and assuming that wikipedia's article on the top speed of the carbed version is correct, it only will net you some 3 HP. However, using the column on the right side of this website to enter weight, elapsed time, and speed results in only ~21 HP being applied. Obviously somewhere there's some 'creative' math going on.

For all the wingers out there, you can't compare the price of this bike with the USA, it's nothing to do with Kawi, it's the taxation system, we're actually lucky it's gonna be as cheap as this. In the UK it's retailing for 3,299 quid, nearly double that of the USA and approx 50,000bt higher than Thailand. However larger bikes like the Yam R6 are higher in Thailand by 33% more than UK prices.

150k that's the price of it, if you're from the states it sounds expensive if your from Europe it sounds a bargain.

Well, I'm from the States, so yeah, it sounds like a reaming to me. Also, per RichardBKK, they've repealed that tax on bikes up to 250cc; it's locally made; etc. So it's even worst from my point of view.

People keep harping on about Thais can't afford things like this, your all seeing the wrong things. There's a lot of rich Thais, and a lot of well off Thais, there are a lot of young spoilt Thais with well-off mummies and daddies. There's a lot of Thais with easy credit at their disposal. Remember Thais prefer anything that others can see, eg. a big house from the outside, no furniture on the inside, no money in the bank but 5bt of gold round the neck. A bmw 3 series, with bald tyres, no insurance and no service, getting the picture. Thais will buy these bikes, believe it, and they will be in demand and people will be waiting a long time for them.

I would accept that argument IF we saw these Thais on currently available bikes. Looking around, if I see a Thai on a big bike, it is not a CBR 150R or other, it's a 400cc+ model. So why would they all of a sudden stop buying those and go with a 250? It's good to be optimistic, and Honda could really use the competition, but I doubt it shall be in the form of the Ninja.

NG

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt the Ninja 250 is a best selling bike in the USA. Americans do not ride teensy little bikes. It would be a sign of economic disaster if soccer moms like my daughter started trading in their Range Rovers and big Toyota SUV's and started riding 250 bikes. My daughter never rides her husband's classic 1970's BMW 650. He usually drives one of the SUV's.

I doubt the Ninja 250 is a best selling bike in the USA. Americans do not ride teensy little bikes.

No PB, seriously one of America's top sellers. Yeah, I know what you are saying about 250cc being underpowered for the states, but it is a top seller just because it is so <deleted>' cheap. I mean the previous generation bikes are selling for less than $3k, and the list on the new one is less than $3500. Factor in financing, and it is dirt cheap to buy one. You really can't buy another brand new bike for the price. Also keep in mind that it is universally known as the "beginner's bike" so I think that's where the sales are coming from. People just starting out (not necessarily continuing to ride) buy them because they are cheap, lightweight, and not very intimidating. They are also SOLD OUT in the USA. I have been shopping for another bike in the states, and I have seen one guy on craigslist asking $1k over list for a 2008 model. I have also seen another selling his spot on the waitlist for $300.

But the more I think about it, the more I think it is a waste in thailand. My NSR and TZM two strokers make more power than the Ninja, and weigh less to boot. The Ninja definately looks cool, but I don't think Thais are willing to spend that much for 'looking cool'.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your accident!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I bought the July 2008 edition of TWO magazine (British), and it had a riding impression of the Ninja 250 at its European debut in Barcelona. Looks like it has a tach and a fuel gauge, 33 horsepower, 16 foot-pounds or torque at 8,200 rpm. No mention of the carburetion or fuel injection. Price in the UK market: 3,299 pounds which is 220,000 baht..

UK market is usually higher than Euro mainland and in turn thats usually higher than US..

I tend to think 200k would kill much of a market here in fact I think it has to be nearer 100 than 200 to make much sales..

Today I bought the July 2008 edition of TWO magazine (British), and it had a riding impression of the Ninja 250 at its European debut in Barcelona. Looks like it has a tach and a fuel gauge, 33 horsepower, 16 foot-pounds or torque at 8,200 rpm. No mention of the carburetion or fuel injection. Price in the UK market: 3,299 pounds which is 220,000 baht..

That's interesting.....the US mags say that it dropped the Tach for the fuel gauge. Perhaps there are more differences than the Fuel Injection/Carbureation?

That's interesting.....the US mags say that it dropped the Tach for the fuel gauge. Perhaps there are more differences than the Fuel Injection/Carbureation?

The photo clearly shows a large tach, a larger speedometer, and a fuel gauge. No water temp gauge. The narrative mentions "The dials are analogue but provide you with all the information you need, and a fuel light means no endless resetting of the trip meters when you fill up." It has one trip meter in the photo. Even the small photo of the cockpit shows that the redline starts at 12,500.

The review ends by making the typical remarks about this just being a child's bike, saying, "... nobody saw the explosion of this small engined market in the UK until the CBR125R went stellar, but along with Yamaha's new TZF125R and now the Ninja 250R, being a brat never looked so good...." Maybe the world has changed a lot since they joked about my 400 and 500 sport-bikes being teeny, but the magazines in the US were usually merciless about engine size. I once got a letter to the editor published, and the editor spent far more words than I did, justifying why the readers did not want to read about small bikes. That was about 1988. Even in 2005, when I walked into the Ducati dealer in Houston, they could not believe a CBR150R existed till I showed them the photos.

The review ends by making the typical remarks about this just being a child's bike, saying, "... nobody saw the explosion of this small engined market in the UK until the CBR125R went stellar, but along with Yamaha's new TZF125R and now the Ninja 250R, being a brat never looked so good...." Maybe the world has changed a lot since they joked about my 400 and 500 sport-bikes being teeny, but the magazines in the US were usually merciless about engine size. I once got a letter to the editor published, and the editor spent far more words than I did, justifying why the readers did not want to read about small bikes. That was about 1988. Even in 2005, when I walked into the Ducati dealer in Houston, they could not believe a CBR150R existed till I showed them the photos.

I think there is a changing opinion about smaller bikes and power to weight tho...

I notice quite a bit of positive buzz around the RD350 concept pics that were put up recently.. I remember back fondly to the old RD350LC 'Rapid Death' oil burners.. A 65 - 75 bhp 350 as per speculation would be a nice toy on these roads.

The CBR150R surely changed my opinion about even smaller bikes than I had owned. The tendency in the moto publishing world in the West is hideously slanted toward one-liter bikes. The magazines assign their new junior writer to test the small bikes, and he is edited to make fun of the "tiddlers." TWO was no exception in its July 2008 issue. I would be surprised if dealers are eager to promote smaller bikes unless their profit margins and showroom turnover make the profits. But here in the Other World, we have a different reality. I am now riding a 135 scooter with four speeds, wire wheels, etc. :o

Really nice bike the Kawasaki Ninja 250, but Honda CBF-250 if available in Thailand at a cost of around 80,000 Baht is hard to beat.

:o

Excuse me but how much is the CBR150 ?

80,000 ain't happening. even made in Thailand

Really nice bike the Kawasaki Ninja 250, but Honda CBF-250 if available in Thailand at a cost of around 80,000 Baht is hard to beat.

:o

Excuse me but how much is the CBR150 ?

80,000 ain't happening. even made in Thailand

Thats about the Malay price.. And <250 taxation restrictions have dropped..

Theres no reason a CBF250 could be grey impoted at that price.

The CBR150R surely changed my opinion about even smaller bikes than I had owned. The tendency in the moto publishing world in the West is hideously slanted toward one-liter bikes. The magazines assign their new junior writer to test the small bikes, and he is edited to make fun of the "tiddlers." TWO was no exception in its July 2008 issue. I would be surprised if dealers are eager to promote smaller bikes unless their profit margins and showroom turnover make the profits. But here in the Other World, we have a different reality. I am now riding a 135 scooter with four speeds, wire wheels, etc. :o

The crazy thing is that we're of the same mind here. I've always loved the smaller bikes, in fact anything over 600 is "too" big. Being able to wring the maximum performance from a smaller bike seems to be much more fun than riding a bigger bike at less than it's able to be ridden at. Of course everyone has their own prefernces (even those wacky cruiser riders!), but just give me a bike where it's much harder to end up killing myself on!

The few reviews I've read on the Ninja 250 in US mags have been overwhelmingly positive. Stating they enjoy the power to weight, extreme handling, etc. they usually mention that it's a great bike for a second bike or a first ride. Perhaps I haven't been reading the right mags (mostly just Cycle World and Sportsrider).

• 2 weeks later...

My local dealer said to expect the Ninja 250 here at the beginning of this month. Now, he tells me it "might" be here at the end of the month. As far as prices, he says he does not know yet. Anybody else have any updates or more accurate information?

Not really more accurate information, but I asked my local Kwacker dealer last week, he said maybe two to three months and no idea of the price. He said that he had, or is about to, or might possibly think about, ordering a couple.

I'll believe it when I see it, but another post today indicated that Honda might be offering imports >250cc with no tax begining of 2009.

Again, TIT, until I am sitting on top of my new crotch rocket waving a green book in my name, I just won't believe it has really happened.

Not to be too negative, but how long is Kawaski going to keep stringing people along? Supposedly the tax on >250cc bikes was repealed. Supposedly there was a press event where they announced they were going to start selling them. And yet we wait. Is this marketing learned from Microsoft? I.E.; promise any and everything better than your competitors just to keep them from buying a competitor's product even though the promised product from your company is not ready yet?

Hi Dave,

You always can buy a Kawasaki D-Tracker 250, still if you buy it today you get 2 months delivery (maybe shorter now, this was day one). Payment is 60% down and possible payment terms....

We looked at the Ninja 250R and after thinking a lot, with several test rides with both, we need to say that the riding position and movability of the D-Tracker is much more suitable for Thai traffic.... And with 155k Baht you not forced to eat Mama for months....

Hmm, I've looked into the D-Tracker. I'm not a huge fan of supermotards, especially out in were I live. See, while they excel in the city bobbing through traffic, and out in the sticks if you live on a deeply rutted road, if you're mostly travelling at high speed on pavement they don't seem to fare as well.

Not to be too negative, but how long is Kawaski going to keep stringing people along? Supposedly the tax on >250cc bikes was repealed. Supposedly there was a press event where they announced they were going to start selling them. And yet we wait. Is this marketing learned from Microsoft? I.E.; promise any and everything better than your competitors just to keep them from buying a competitor's product even though the promised product from your company is not ready yet?

Dave Boo. Kawa is opening a factory to make the 250 Ninja in Thailand. So it would avoid taxes under any scenario.

Dear Dotcom,

Trust me, Kawasaki has for some years a factory which makes Ninja 250R's in Thailand, as they produce this Ninja's and lots more models (almost all motorcycle models sold in Europe) under the umbrella BOI (Board of Investment) and the motorcycles are manufactured in a so-called bonded manufacturing warehouse it means that all motorcycles which going to be sold in the domestic market need to be imported.

And trust me, Kawasaki is not going chance its production process, or open other manufacturing facilities. The benefits of bonded manufacturing outweighs the sales of a few domestic sold motorcycles.

With kind regards,

Richard

I make it clear they have one for you....139,000 Baht (tomorrow you can order) That is the Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Euro Specs)

Hmm, I've looked into the D-Tracker. I'm not a huge fan of supermotards, especially out in were I live. See, while they excel in the city bobbing through traffic, and out in the sticks if you live on a deeply rutted road, if you're mostly travelling at high speed on pavement they don't seem to fare as well.
Edited by Richard-BKK

Happy to report that finally the Kawasaki Big Bike showroom in Bangkok is accepting orders for the new 2008 Ninja 250R.

Also happy to announce that the price is less than the rumored 150,000 - 180,000 price that has been floating around on various forums.

Price before tax and registration is 139,900

7% tax is 9479

Registration is a couple thousand.

Full insurance is available at the showroom.

They will start delivering the new bikes in the next week icon_biggrin.gif

Let the good times roll!

0813BabyNinja1Sm.jpg

My local dealer in Nakhon Sawan has also told me that I can order a Ninja 250r as of the 20th of August and expect a delivery date a couple of days after. He told me that if you order during the month of August the price will be 139,900 as bigbikebkk reported.

He told me that after this month the price will be going up to just under 150,000.

He also told me that the ER-6n would be available in Thailand at the beginning of next year for somewhere near 200,000-250,000. It will be or is made in Thailand. Other bikes such as the ZX-6r will be imported but will be much more expensive.

I would be interested to hear peoples opinions of the Thai version of the Ninja 250r. Is it worth the sticker. I am looking for some fun and don't need a monster bike. I also like the idea of having a proper green book and license.

Edited by anuban

He also told me that the ER-6n would be available in Thailand at the beginning of next year for somewhere near 200,000-250,000. It will be or is made in Thailand. Other bikes such as the ZX-6r will be imported but will be much more expensive.

Now that would be a buy... ER6N or FZ6 are ideal for here, fast, maneuverable, but not too big and hard to shift about, park, use day to day.

I miss my old CBR 600 F2 that I left in Japan when I moved to Thailand, but I just can't quite stomach the prices for imported 600cc bikes here in the LOS. Now, if someday Kawasaki starts selling a domestically produced 600 in Thailand then I'll be very interested!