Timing Chain Replacement

mobile69

Took my strada in for routine service (110,000km) today at Mitsubishi service centre, & mechanic said it was due for routine timing chain replacement. He said it would be a 2 day job, costing about 29,000baht. Sounds a lot, as labour is reasonably cheap. Anyone had this done?

It seems like he is using you to fund his retirement . Your car could either have a timing belt or a timing chain depending on engine model

If it has a belt , then yes it should be replaced at 100,000 k,s your service book should tell you this . Most cars take 2 - 4 hours to do the job .

If it has a timing chain , it will outlast the car unless you drive like a $%#@%$^ when timing chains are worn they tend to rattle a bit , you

certainly wouldnt need to replace it at 100,000 .

A quick bit of research looks like 2.8 litre has a timing chain 2.5 litre has a belt .

If it has a belt replace it . I wouldnt pay more than 10,000 baht

Edited by madcow

I'd be surprised if it has a timing chain. A friend of mine has a Mitsubishi jeep with a turbo diesel. The timing BELT broke. It bent valves and broke the camshaft bearing blocks. Replacing the belt, the bent valves, grinding the rest of them, replacing the camshaft bearing caps and milling the head cost him a grand total of 12,000 baht. Your price sounds kind of fishy to me.

I think most companies recommend replacing the timing belt at 100,000 kilometers. A timing chain normally lasts the life of the engine.

IIRC the 2.8 has a chain, the 2.5 a belt.

Like they ^^^ said, the belt would need changing at 100k but if it takes more than 1/2 a day I'd be surprised, a chain will outlast the engine.

The belt is 25 quid in the UK, you're being charged more than UK labour rates :o

Thanks for the replies.

It's the 2.8 engine. So a chain for sure. I've had a quick look at a mitsubishi forum & 60,000 miles was mentioned. Saw a chain for a pajero at 100 UK pounds on ebay.

I'm wondering if he got his numbers mixed up. I've noticed before he gets his 1000s & 10,000s confused when speaking English. I'm the same sometimes with my 10,000s & 100,000s when trying to speak Thai. But 2,900 sounds cheap if it's a 2 day job.

I have to say I've NEVER come across a service requirement to replace a timing chain (has to be a first time I suppose).

The chain is running in an ideal environment, fed with filtered oil and protected from grit, not like your bike chain. Additionally it is unlikely to fail catastrophically (unlike a belt which probably will), chains tend to rattle as they wear and there's usually an adjuster to take up the slack and restore silence.

Had a Mitsubishi Pajero in Australia. When it got to 100,000km they said it needed the timing chain replaced. That cost just under $3,000 and I had them save the one they took out for me. It looked like new and definitely didn't need replacement. I felt ripped off. But the Pajero maint schedule did call for it. I suggest a party and leave the timing alone.