I've Quit On Dec 10th 2007

Tony Clifton

44 years old, been smoking about 1.5 packs a day for 28 years. Tried quitting many times, failed every time and used to say I had only ran out of smokes, not quit. :D

Our son will be born within a few weeks, my first child, and I want to live as long as I can to see him grow up.

I also got my long overdue teeth fixed over the last few months and bleached on Dec 10th. The amazing result is also a big part why I don't ever want to smoke again, I can now smile without being ashamed of showing yellow stained teeth. :D Mouth feels great upon waking up.

I've bought nicotine gum but have tossed it aside after chewing on a few, gives me terrible acid indigestion within seconds. :o

Some very very mild cravings still linger after 9 days but are easily forgotten within seconds and mostly brought on by habit or situations when I'd usually light up. I've quit the morning coffee, can live without it. I find I like to eat more often but watch the quantities and quality.

Been around this stop smoking forum before but today I'm posting as a NEW TOPIC instead of participating in someone else's because I know this time it's really over. I've also made sure to tell friends and family this time around to burn those smoker's bridges that may allow going back to the poison.

Adieu deadly yellowish bitch!

44 years old, been smoking about 1.5 packs a day for 28 years. Tried quitting many times, failed every time and used to say I had only ran out of smokes, not quit. :D

Our son will be born within a few weeks, my first child, and I want to live as long as I can to see him grow up.

I also got my long overdue teeth fixed over the last few months and bleached on Dec 10th. The amazing result is also a big part why I don't ever want to smoke again, I can now smile without being ashamed of showing yellow stained teeth. :D Mouth feels great upon waking up.

I've bought nicotine gum but have tossed it aside after chewing on a few, gives me terrible acid indigestion within seconds. :o

Some very very mild cravings still linger after 9 days but are easily forgotten within seconds and mostly brought on by habit or situations when I'd usually light up. I've quit the morning coffee, can live without it. I find I like to eat more often but watch the quantities and quality.

Been around this stop smoking forum before but today I'm posting as a NEW TOPIC instead of participating in someone else's because I know this time it's really over. I've also made sure to tell friends and family this time around to burn those smoker's bridges that may allow going back to the poison.

congrads hope it works out for you!

also you say you didnt like the nicotine gum, did or areyou using anything?

chris

Keep it up Tony, the craving will stay, but........... each time you can make a choice i feel. Sure i want to smoke, but i am not going to. Great feeling !! :o

I've bought nicotine gum but have tossed it aside after chewing on a few, gives me terrible acid indigestion within seconds. :D

Hold on TC

I stopped 6 years ago. Was smoking 2 packs a day for about 15 years. I finished my last pack, and decided it was over.....Never touched one cigarette since then, and feel great, just a bit heavier.....But first 3 month were a kind of tough. DON'T GIVE UP.... It's worth it ! GOOD LUCK....

Nope, I don't use anything. The nicotine gum is too strong even at 2mg and only chewed for 20-30 seconds. I actually don't think the mild cravings necessitate any substitutes. I'm stronger and stronger every time I beat the cravings one by one, and, I find this time is so much easier mentally, the determination is very strong with a baby boy on the way, THE main reason for quitting.

Thanks all!

Edited by Tony Clifton

Go for it Tony! My dad smoked 2 1/2 packs a day from 11 years old to 50 years old. The house always smelled of smoke, over flowing ashtrays everywhere.

He said, after a few months, his tastebuds and olfactory nerves came back and he was hypersensitive to tastes and smells. Now, after about 20 years off the cigs he's fine but he said it took him a few years to get back to not being instantly annoyed by perfumes, cig smoke, etc.

Keep at it, its worth it for you and your baby :o

Good on you tony, our daughter was a major impact on me and i had to give a lot up :D , but shes worth it all,start investing in some larger size waistbands though :D

Good choice No great Choice......

I would of quit smoking 6 mths on Christmas day...After 30-40 a day for 18 yrs.

Unfortunately I have become an agitated ex smoker hate to be around smoke now (after 4 mths this happened).Have to leave not because of urge to smoke but because it annoys the crap out of me...You to will be thinking I used to do that ,,,,YUK :o

The health improvement will show soon Increased energy levels...watch out missus number two on the way.....

Well done keep it up it gets easier and easier ......just remember the whole feel like crap taste like crap when you were smoking.

Beware of cafeine it kicks up a few levles with your new improved circulation and metabalosim I have been banned by wife of more than 2 cups in the morning.

ENJOY Your new life .......what a present to your new child

Two things I'll never forget :

The coughing fits with the morning shower, gagging, spitting out weird clumps, even throwing up sometimes after the morning coffee and cigarette marathon.

The woman I considered my 2nd mom, dear mother of childhood and lifetime friends, who died last year of lung cancer. It was a heartbreaking scene when I hugged her for the last time and flew back to Thailand hours later, knowing it was the last time we ever talked and touched. R.I.P. dear Pete :o

I actually don't even worry about the next craving because they simply don't bother me enough. Of all the times I've tried to quit over the years, this time has been the easiest. The really bad cravings lasted two days, unlike the last attempt a year ago, strong cravings went on and on for over a week and I cracked. I'm sure it's because this time, with a baby on the way, I told my self I was quitting, not trying to quit. Another convincing thing is that even nicotine absorbed by chewing gum is making me instantly sick with acid reflux.

Time for a tasty breakfast now. :o

17 days, had to look at a calendar as I don`t keep a day by day count.

Putting on some weight already. :o

The cravings are almost gone and extremely mild.

Haven`t touched the nicotine gum since I last posted about it, causes acid reflux anyway.

I`m actually not worried about the weight gain for now, I enjoy the odd snack or bites instead of a smoke, I`ll just have to narrow down my choices to healthier food.

I`ll soon start a regular exercise program of my own, something I had given up a few years ago after years and years of regular training year round, all because of the smoking.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Good on yer Tony...an inspiration

I am trying from midnight tonight...I will use patches that I brought from the UK specifically for the New Year. Amazingly today I have some kind of throat infection which stopped me going out tonight...I hate it, but maybee it will be easier to quit because of it.

40 years of suffering being a slave to the weed is coming to an end...I owe it to my family to stop as well as myself, none of my sons, parents or sisters smoke....just me...40 a day.

Wish me luck.....I am going in holiday to HK in 2 days, I could say its not a good time...but heck..when IS a good time??

Good luck Pauly!

Yesterday was my 4th completed week.

A whole month without a smoke, when I think i smoked 2 packs a day here, and got up in the middle of the night to smoke a few...

I must admit my sleep habits were never really good but it's been worse lately, dunno if it's caused by the missing nicotine.

Sleep here and there like a cat, most sleep I get is 5 or 6 hours.

At least the coughing has stopped in the morning shower, the wheezing can't be hear as I rest quietly in bed.

Some weird pains in the chest area (I'm 44...), maybe the lungs clearing. I'll have a complete checkup done while we're at the hospital this week when our child is born.

I usually have one craving a day, very mild, while I play games on the computer, that used to make me chain smoke.

Had my 1st cup of coffee yesterday and it didn't cause an instant nicotine craving. I'll try again in a few days, I'm careful about triggering cravings.

I called my doctor two weeks ago, he said "run 5 kilometers a day for 2 weeks." sweat.gif

I just called him today and told him "I'm now 70 kilometers away from home. What do I do now?" doh.gif

Congrats Tony keep up the great effort.Just a question about the chest pains you experience.A close friend is trying to quit too but complains about chest pains and feeling tight in the chest but won't go to the doctor.What did your doctor say was causing these and for how long?

Not me, I quit when I became pregnant but as I was a social smoker not a pack a day person I didn't have any problems quitting and have decided to stay away from cigarettes when going out with friends for a drink.That was my main problem with totally giving up the horrible things.Just a little worried about my friend who should go to the doctor,well guess he's an adult and I admire his efforts at trying to quit.

Thanks sbk

If you'd like I can ask him if he had chest pains shortly after he quit... it was a long time ago, but he should remember. Momo, is your friend a heavy smoker? Perhaps that might have something to do with it. And Tony, let us know what your doctor says, as well :o

Yes he is and he's determined to do it so hope he succeeds this time.I thought though that your health should improve if you give up smoking not end up with chest pains .I didn't have any strange symptoms like that just more food cravings.Thanks again let me know what your father says.

I am eternal, invincible, death-defying now that I've quit smoking! Doctor? Wazzat man?

The pains were not intense, more like twitching, pinches, both sides and center. Nothing in the left arm at all.

I will get a full checkup this week-end as we're going to the hospital for a few days, wife getting c-section today for our son's birth. :o

Quitting smoking was his first gift ever.

OK, remember, my dad was a seriously heavy smoker for many many years. He said, no specific chest pains but his body hurt all over. Very painful. And he said as his body purged the tar and nicotine he had terrible body odor. He can't remember how long it lasted for, a month or so perhaps? He said, at the time, it seemed like forever.

Good luck to you guys!

Now that you mention it, I do feel more achy than usual, also a little less agile and heavier with the gain weight in a month.

Exercise program will begin slowly soon once we're out of this hospital.

As for body odor, I remember my nostrils used to smell like I crapped a few times daily through my nose even though I washed them with water and cotton every day, I used to smell those stinky nostrils everywhere I went, yuk, awful smell.

Haven't had a single craving for days now, they were already very mild anyway.

People have smoked around me, doesn't really bother.

I still love my smoke deep in there somewhere, I made a promise to my wife and then unborn son never to inhale nicotine again.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost two months now. :D

I never count the days but do remember December 10th 2007 4:00 pm when I put out that last cigarette in a Coke can.

Had a hard time this week for a few minutes.

We were watching a movie where Jodie Foster was sort of chain smoking and it brought back cravings.

My wife, who quit about 10 monthshttp://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159372&st=0&gopid=1801031

Complete Edit ago, was the first to shout out "She makes me want to smoooke" :o

I was about to say the same.

Last a minute or two and was gone.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Smoking is a nasty habit and every one will quickly habituate to that.But you have done a great job .Keep up the positive spirit .I am a chain smoker and previously unable to control.But few days back I decided to quit that nasty habit and reducing the puffs daily.Hope I will quit it sooner .

• 3 weeks later...

Good for you! :D:o

Stopped 2nd of January myself - after 35 years of 30 cigarettes a day. First 5 days were pretty bad....

Felt emotional, moody and angry. :D Did not really want to let go of this "so called" friend. Cravings were severe, but I kept telling myself not to give in and so far I have managed to quit. 52 days now! No patch or gum. The cravings are less frequent and sometimes hours go by until I realize I haven't thought about cigarettes and/or smoking. I feel good and stronger every day and get tremendous support from my husband. (He smokes, but doesn't bother me). It is extremely worth while. Now I wish I quit 20 years ago, that is my only regret..