Ipod Hd

Bananaman

My 3G 40GB iPod has officially died, it needs a completely new hard-drive. It's well out of warranty and Apple in Chiang Mai say they don't do hardware repair (typical!). There's enough info available online about changing the HD yourself so I'd be happy to have a go if I can get my hands on one. Anybody know any (none-Apple) dealers in Thailand selling iPod internal hardware? Someone located up north would be a bonus.

Cheers

when my iPod hard drive gave up i was told it would be cheaper to buy a new iPod rather than get it repaired.

That could be!

In Pantip Plaza are 2 or 3 shops which doing repair for iPod!

Anybody know any (none-Apple) dealers in Thailand selling iPod internal hardware?

The hard drive is NOT iPod proprietary. According to this site, the hard drive for your iPod is a 40GB Toshiba MK4004GAH. Do a little research, there may / or may NOT be other suitable makes / models hard drives that can be used as a replacement in your iPod.

Anybody know any (none-Apple) dealers in Thailand selling iPod internal hardware?

The hard drive is NOT iPod proprietary. According to this site, the hard drive for your iPod is a 40GB Toshiba MK4004GAH. Do a little research, there may / or may NOT be other suitable makes / models hard drives that can be used as a replacement in your iPod.

You are indeed correct Rice King, I've gotten the thing open now and the HD is made by Toshiba. I can find them to buy online but they're not cheap and it would, as others have pointed out, be not much more expensive to buy a new iPod. I just thought I'd see if anywhere in LOS might have cheap drives before I committed to purchasing whatever else, wherever else. Besides the obvious cost of a new machine, it's just so environmentally unfriendly to just ditch the old one.

There's a guy in the U.S. making a living buying old/broken iPods and refurbishing them. You might want to try and sell yours there so it will not go to waste. Don't remember the website but should be easy to find.

The reason these HDs are expensive is that nobody uses them except mp3 players, most of which are iPods. There really is no retail market for 1.8" hard drives - they'd probably be cheap if you buy them in quantity though :o

Hi :o

1.8" HDD's are also used in certain Sony "Vaio" laptops, and for precisely such machine i bought one around the beginning of this year. The seller at the shop in Panthip actually told me that "these HDD's are difficult to find because everyone buys them to refurbish their iPod". Apparently it is possibly to equip an iPod of, say, 40 GB originally with a 60 GB HDD.

I ended up getting the 60 G B version (also a Toshiba) for little over 3.000 Baht, new and with 3-year warranty. The price may have come down meantime and there may be larger versions available.

One way or another, those drives are available at Panthip in shops that specialize on laptop repairs and/or accessories.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi :o

1.8" HDD's are also used in certain Sony "Vaio" laptops, and for precisely such machine i bought one around the beginning of this year. The seller at the shop in Panthip actually told me that "these HDD's are difficult to find because everyone buys them to refurbish their iPod". Apparently it is possibly to equip an iPod of, say, 40 GB originally with a 60 GB HDD.

I ended up getting the 60 G B version (also a Toshiba) for little over 3.000 Baht, new and with 3-year warranty. The price may have come down meantime and there may be larger versions available.

One way or another, those drives are available at Panthip in shops that specialize on laptop repairs and/or accessories.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thanh, thanks for the heads-up man, that's some useful info you've posted. I might not have to chuck the old thing after all.