This Guy I Met..

jingjingna

from Cameroon. Seemed like a nice enough guy and even ended up staying at the same hotel, sharing a few beers.

On my return to Thailand even had a night out with him and his thai girlfriend in Pattaya. He was based in Bangers but frequented Pattaya. I never found out what his actual business was.

A few days ago I get a call from the girlfriend, she was hysterical, the guy had been nabbed by the cops. He had a hundred thousand baht stuffed down his pants when they caught him according to the g/f. Charges alleged distribution of forged US dollars in Bangers as well as a complaint from an Indian guy accusing him of theft.

Anyway, the g/f must have thought I was loaded or something and wanted me to bail him out of Prison for 120,000 Baht.

The next day, doing a search on the net, I found the Pattaya City News site which states he had around 300,000 baht stuffed down his pants not 100,000 as the g/f insists. He is still in jail as far as I know and the cops confiscated his Rolex (I thought it was a fake, but hey, I'm no expert!) and other valuables.

As much as I wanted to help, I did smell a rat and steered clear of the situation.

My feelings at the moment are quite mixed, pity the guy on one hand but on the other if he is guilty as charged then he deserves all that's coming his way.

Just thought I'd share this story with you guys . :o

Good story. Goes to show you... the number #1 survival guide is Thailand is keep your nose clean, head down, and mind your own business. And never ever give money to anybody. You did the right thing.

Edited by kyb789

Good story. Goes to show you... the number #1 survival guide is Thailand is keep your nose clean, head down, and mind your own business. And never ever give money to anybody. You did the right thing.

Ditto on that advice.....best to mind you own business, except for the having a few friendly beers part! :o

Bangers? <deleted>?

Let us hope that this doesn't catch on.

Only idiots call Hong Kong "Honkers". Bangers?

Guaranteed the OP is a Brit.

More surprised he did not refer to Patters as well!

Many Brits can't even pronounce Pattaya correctly even when they use the proper place name.

Oh for the days of Empire. I'm sure they sent out more knowledgeable expats then.

Bangers? <deleted>?

Many Brits can't even pronounce Pattaya correctly even when they use the proper place name.

Oh for the days of Empire. I'm sure they sent out more knowledgeable expats then.

I think Bonkers is much more appropriate than Bangers.

At least we can pronounce Tomato and Potato properly :o

Bangers? <deleted>?

Out come the Brit bashers. :o

from Cameroon. Seemed like a nice enough guy and even ended up staying at the same hotel, sharing a few beers.

On my return to Thailand even had a night out with him and his thai girlfriend in Pattaya. He was based in Bangers but frequented Pattaya. I never found out what his actual business was.

A few days ago I get a call from the girlfriend, she was hysterical, the guy had been nabbed by the cops. He had a hundred thousand baht stuffed down his pants when they caught him according to the g/f. Charges alleged distribution of forged US dollars in Bangers as well as a complaint from an Indian guy accusing him of theft.

Anyway, the g/f must have thought I was loaded or something and wanted me to bail him out of Prison for 120,000 Baht.

The next day, doing a search on the net, I found the Pattaya City News site which states he had around 300,000 baht stuffed down his pants not 100,000 as the g/f insists. He is still in jail as far as I know and the cops confiscated his Rolex (I thought it was a fake, but hey, I'm no expert!) and other valuables.

As much as I wanted to help, I did smell a rat and steered clear of the situation.

My feelings at the moment are quite mixed, pity the guy on one hand but on the other if he is guilty as charged then he deserves all that's coming his way.

Money lent in thailand translates as gift in thai !, my friend graham has a good saying that applies in thailand 100 per cent " never a lender or a borrower be "..if i feel a loan application coming on from anyone i get in first with ,can you lend me 5000 bht, it always works as they think if you need a small amount like that you are skint, ,.. Edited by mikethevigoman

Bangers? <deleted>?

I've often heard Bangkok referred to as Bangers and Chiang Mai referred to as Chiangers. I think it's kind of endearing but then hey I'm a Brit and I say Pa-tai-ya :o

Edited by Bananaman

<deleted>!!

Yes, I am Brit and I can pronounce Pattaya. I beg to ask, what has this got to do with the story? SFA.

Strange, innit?

I guess it is only interesting living in this world that there are some strange people. Perhaps these are the same ones who have a problem with the word farang?

I guess these people might see a house on fire and someone trying to escape from the windows and start discussing about the colour of the house not being nice.

:o

There are a lot of losers and hustlers in LOS.

I have a rule. Never loan anyone money.

Problem solved.

The maximum bank note here is nung paan baht, 1000. How big were this guy's pants (American, trousers; British, underpants) if he could stuff 300 such notes inside? I read the judge's decision after a trial conducted by a female Mormon attorney who proved to the court that even a big bosomed White woman can't stuff a fortune in bank notes inside a bra.

The maximum bank note here is nung paan baht, 1000. How big were this guy's pants (American, trousers; British, underpants) if he could stuff 300 such notes inside? I read the judge's decision after a trial conducted by a female Mormon attorney who proved to the court that even a big bosomed White woman can't stuff a fortune in bank notes inside a bra.

Perhaps he was a post-op reverse kathoey that was previously well endowed. there would be plenty of space then if certain stereotypes are true!

Bangers? <deleted>?

Out come the Brit bashers. :o

I do dislike the term "Brits" it has to be said - puts me in with the taffs and sweaties - better than being known as Septic though as you know what a septic is full of

I disagree. 300 notes don't take up too much space.

Perhaps he was a post-op reverse kathoey that was previously well endowed. there would be plenty of space then if certain stereotypes are true!

Pray tell, 'nidge', what sort of stereotypes are you refering to? :o

I forget now if Marilyn told me she actually did this in court, but she planned to get the sum of money claimed by the accused's daughter, in the denominations claimed, on the court table after taking the testimony again. Anyway, the judge was convinced that the daughter couldn't hide that much cash inside her bra. That makes me wonder about 300 Thai bank notes.

I disagree. 300 notes don't take up too much space.

I agree with meemiathai. I transported 10,000GBP in fifties between banks in the UK stuffed down my pants. That's 200 notes and it was no bother. The biggest problem was persuading the bank to let me walk out with that much cash. Even my assertion that my business partners, messrs Smith and Wesson, were with me didn't make a difference. It went straight over the Manageress's head. :o

Bangers? <deleted>?

Another aussie with a chip on his shoulder :o pom eh eh eh. prisoner of mother England, thats you aussies :D

PB, I agre that stuck down a 'Thai' bra..problem...but down guy's pants, quite easy, I would imagine.

IF it was his cash, my question is , 'why stuff down pants'?...G/f claims it was just 100,000 and set him up, took photo's etc.

Me, I believe NOTHING!