Thai Police Guns - Standard Issue - Anyone Know What It Is?

thaipulse

Hi -

I'm writing an article and I'm trying to find out a couple things... one is what the standard issue weapon is for a Thai policeman. If it differs from province to province, how so? Like, do BKK police get Glock and everyone else something else or all same or ? How many bullets do they hold?

And, if you have any insight into which weapons - sidearms and rifles that the Thai military uses, would you comment about that?

Thanks for your help...

Vern

A policeman in the Royal Thai Police Force has to buy his own gun and there is no standard issue. He must buy what's available and what he can afford. He has to buy his own uniform also!!!

My brother-in-law is a Police Major in the Crime Suppression Division in Bangkok and he has been a policeman for 30+ years. I've seen his collection of guns, accrued over the years, and it's a "mixed salad" of ironmongery.......nothing standard.

Standard issue here is basically whatever you can afford. :D

A local undercover cop of my acquaintance carries around a S&W .45 cannon with an extended clip. :o Bloody thing must weigh as much as he does...

Then you have traffic cops with bargain-basement .22s held together with duct tape... No wonder people "flee the scene" so often. :D

That's amazing... they make around 5,000 baht per month - yes? How can they afford a 10,000 baht weapon? Thanks for all the info - will help a lot. Anyone know anyone in the military and what they carry?

Oh, and the schedule for police - is it 8 hours 6 days per week or different?

That's amazing... they make around 5,000 baht per month - yes? How can they afford a 10,000 baht weapon? Thanks for all the info - will help a lot. Anyone know anyone in the military and what they carry?

Never mind the paltry 10k weapon

How can some of them aford the car's they drive, the houses and the mia noi's?

As if no-one knew!

Come on Thaipulse, get the finger on the pulse dude!

They get the coin from the bribes they are given!

Policing in Thailand is a very lucrative profession.

Incidentally, last night when I was out and about the police were too! Usually they hang out at the station in the silent hours but not these two! They were all over the place busting dudes and issuing tickets!

Go BIB! :o

There are no standard firearms carried by the Royal Thai police, if the police officer can’t afford one, they are allow to purchase by paying installment through their own police co-operative.

A policeman in the Royal Thai Police Force has to buy his own gun and there is no standard issue. He must buy what's available and what he can afford. He has to buy his own uniform also!!!

My brother-in-law is a Police Major in the Crime Suppression Division in Bangkok and he has been a policeman for 30+ years. I've seen his collection of guns, accrued over the years, and it's a "mixed salad" of ironmongery.......nothing standard.

I think it must be the same story with their motorbikes.

If they supplied this kind of stuff to the officers, there would be less reason for corruption.

Remember seeing the film "Bangkok Dangerous". At the end, there's a standoff where the police turn up in nice new uniforms and modern police cars (think they were just Daewoos) and act like a modern well trained police force..

My neighbour has a villa and 3 cars bought from his 5000 Baht per month.

Its amazing what your can do if your thrifty and stick to your budget. :o

The standard weapon of the Thai Army is the M-16A1, they carry the FN MINIMI (US M249) for a squad automatic weapon and MAG-58 (US M240) as a general purpose machine gun.

I have also observed airborne/special ops troops carrying the M-4 carbine and HK assault rifles.

I think ALL "civil servants" make more than 5,000 per month. Most of the traffic police i have talked with make 8,000 and i know a teacher in her first year after graduation and she is making 7,000. Any one know of any other rates ?

Yes they have to buy their own motorbikes also. There are at least 2 guys here driving the big White CHIPS style motorbikes here in Chiang Mai. Most of them are on scooters though.

Not surprise, some corrupt police officer always look for fresh blood to suck, this is to make their life rich and bribe their way to get promoted for higher rank. :o

Edited by Thaising

Not surprise, some corrupt police officer always look for fresh blood to suck, this is to make their life rich and bribe their way to get promoted for higher rank. :o

Oh, boo-hoo. :D It's a big bad scary corrupt world out there, eh?

A police officer that I used to know told me that if his investigations required him to travel to other parts of the country he would usually have to pay his own travel, accommodation and food expenses.

Seriously? That's absurd... no wonder the first thing you've gotta do to get the police to move forward is give them some cash.

It's not their fault and it sucks that they're not paid. I wouldn't do much either for what they make. Incidentally it appears that when the palm is greased sufficiently heads roll and all kinds of things happen in the investigation. Victims get stolen goods back, money back, guys get put in jail... it's like they give crooks truth serum and all the secrets come out...

A police officer that I used to know told me that if his investigations required him to travel to other parts of the country he would usually have to pay his own travel, accommodation and food expenses.

Like other government departments claims for expenses can be made for travel after receipts are shown.

Fuel vouchers are given for work travel in their own vehicles. Advance travel allowance for conferences etc is based on bus or train fares. Hotel accommodation is normally pre arranged at government staff discount rates.

We have one member of the poilce force in the neighborhood that has at least around a 6 rai compound. It has the "main" house and adjacent servants quarters, manicured yard, complete with beautiful ponds etc on the land. It is simply beautiful place.

It what I would like to have... but alas I am just a poor falang.

We have one member of the poilce force in the neighborhood that has at least around a 6 rai compound. It has the "main" house and adjacent servants quarters, manicured yard, complete with beautiful ponds etc on the land. It is simply beautiful place.

It what I would like to have... but alas I am just a poor falang.

He's probably from a rich family. I know that the well-to-do families like to have one son in the police/civil service/army and another in business.

just imagine how many people would join the police in your home country if they had to buy there own uniform,gun and equipment and car/bike but then the free drinking anywhere makes it more attractive.

police here are like a private security company.....wont do anything for you without payment.

if theres nothing in it for them then they cant be arsed to waste there time........great.

i also hear that they pay big money to get into high positions in places like pattaya where they can get the big money bribes.....and theres a waitin list hence the high turnaround of top cop .

i dont think they should be allowed to carry there weapons off duty as a dangerous combination....drunk cop/9mm auto!!!!! :o

Unlike police forces in the United States, Thai police have no standard firearm. As other people have said, it basically comes down to what you can afford.

I've seen police officers with Glocks, Smith and Wessons, Colt .45, revolvers. I've even seen a fair share with no guns... even worse, a holster with no gun inside.

Must be a nightmare if they are ever involved in a protracted gun battle. Different guns, different caliber ammunition.. yikes.