Expat Health Insurance

canadiangirl

For those of you who purchase your own expat medical insurance in Thailand (not provided by employer), who do you use?

I was looking at BUPA (rather expensive) and a few other ones -- do you have any recommendations? I'm looking specifically for expat insurance, *not* travel insurance (expat insurance, in my understanding, is when you've been away from home for long enough not to be covered by the medical plan of your home country)

Thanks for any information!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

The school whee I work suggested I try the following Company for Health Insurance. I did and it was extremely competitive>>>>>>>>

Thai Health Insurance

Bangkok

Tel: 02642 3100 or check out their site >>>

www.thaihealth.co.th

worth a go :-)

i second telfmikes suggestion, thai prakan chewit, you might also consider siam commercial bank as well.

best to take a thia friend if you dont speak thai, and also to explain the extras/options.

i am 47 and thai prakan costs me about 22,000 baht per year, thats with all the options, eg in/out patient etc. certainly beats some of the prices being quoted elsewhere.

I took out a BUPA policy but regretted it - not only is their policy expensive but their extensive list of exclusions just about excluded anything I needed to claim for. The admin they put you through when you take out a policy is a real pain too - questionnaire after questionnaire which generally seemed aimed at seeing if they could add any more exclusions.

I am on Bupa International run from Brighton in the UK. Very expensive, but I do think it is one of the best (I hope I don't have to eat my words the day I need to claim...)

However, I am in the market for something cheaper, where you can opt out of some expensive options, but still have the vital cover.

An American friend did the smart thing about 10 years back when he retired early at 42: He set up to be self-insured, so he saves a good dollop of money every year (similar to e.g. Bupa yearly fees or a bit more), and this money is invested in long term "safe" (low risk) funds.

I did not do that, and now I think it is a bit too late for me to start, but worth considering if you are young, healthy and have a good income. Then you keep paying to yourself, rather that some insurer. But it takes a bit of discipline, this money must not be used for anything else, just left to grow year by year.

i have just taken out TV (Thai visa) insurance price was very good and covers hospitals in Samui. would be interested in others users comments on it, i think it is relative to OPs question as well. hope its seen that way anyway

Edited by NALAK

I have used BUPA Thailand since retiring and losing work coverage. I don't agree that they are particulary expensive.

I'm in the late 60's and the cost hardly equals the cost of the air fare back to the country who is niggling about treating me.

The only exclusion I have is the one I stated on the original application form, I have had two hospital in- sessions since joining and they have paid up without any problem. In fact I recovered more than than the yearly fee against hospital costs each time.

If you don't use the insurance for the current policy year you recieve 10% of the fee as a bonus.

BUPA is readily accepted at the majority of hospitals where as others you may find hassle which you don't need lying on the emergency room.

You get what you pay for, so proceed with caution.

I use Goodhealth, based in the UK. http://www.goodhealthworldwide.com/

They took me on an "as is" basis after I showed evidence of existing health cover.

This means no exclusions.

I may be about to sign up with them. Have you ever made a claim? Was it easy?

And do you still get full benefits even if you spend long periods outside the country you originally put down as your country of residence. For example, if you put down Thailand then spent 3 months in Vietnam would they pay a claim in Vietnam?

Hi,

The school whee I work suggested I try the following Company for Health Insurance. I did and it was extremely competitive>>>>>>>>

Thai Health Insurance

Bangkok

Tel: 02642 3100 or check out their site >>>

www.thaihealth.co.th

worth a go :-)

Thanks for the heads-up, I was just starting my health shopping for next year and this looks like a good lead....... :o

Denboy,

Perhaps Bupa Thailand and Bupa International charge different rates?

I will look into the local Bupa offering, thanks for the info.

And merry Christmas and a happy new year to you!

Most likely.

40ish healthy male would be around 23,000bhat/yr for coverage of 2mil per illness. If you get sick in the US, they'll pay for emergencies, but not major surgery that could be done elsewhere.

What's the international rate for something similar?

I have used BUPA Thailand since retiring and losing work coverage. I don't agree that they are particulary expensive.

I'm in the late 60's and the cost hardly equals the cost of the air fare back to the country who is niggling about treating me.

The only exclusion I have is the one I stated on the original application form, I have had two hospital in- sessions since joining and they have paid up without any problem. In fact I recovered more than than the yearly fee against hospital costs each time.

If you don't use the insurance for the current policy year you recieve 10% of the fee as a bonus.

BUPA is readily accepted at the majority of hospitals where as others you may find hassle which you don't need lying on the emergency room.

I agree! BUPA Thailand seems very good value for money and it is significantly cheaper than the UK BUPA International version. Like Denboy said, I declared an existing condition and that is the only exclusion I have on the policy too. I do not take out-patients cover and pay for any visits myself - the direct cost of 2 or 3 visits per year is much cheaper than the premium.

Macx,

I am 50, and last year the cost for Bupa Int'l was around 118,000 Baht (1,690 GBP).

It is going up year by year, and with much more than inflation. It has doubled in 7 years (in GBP terms). Time for a rethink.

Edit: Forex update

My friend was in Bumrungrad for several surgeries with multiple complications. Bupa paid up without a squeak. He's American, over 50 and here on retirement visa although he spends about half of his time in the US.

In addition to premiums and likelihood of paying off, one of the considerations in choosing health insurance is how long you can retain it. I have read that if you insure with BUPA before age sixty, they guarantee your right to renew for the rest of your life. Has anyone here got this coverage? I am not sure what it means if there is not also a restriction on the increase in premiums.

We may resettle in Thailand after I retire and I am thinking of buying insurance from BUPA while still here in the US and under sixty, so that I can be sure to be able to renew later in Thailand. Anyone have any advice on this strategy?

Macx,

Just to make sure, was your friend insured with Bupa Thailand or Int'l?

If it was local, it is very good news indeed.

Can I ask an off-topic question? Mac and x, does it relate to Apple Mac and OSX?

Sorry, not related to Apple or OSX :o

My friend has Bupa Thailand. He signed up at the main office on Silom, Soi Convent, with his Thai girlfriend. He got 10% for signing up as a couple.

I should also mention that my friend was 51yo, 160kg, 175cm, and pretty much in dubious shape when Bupa signed him up without much ado.

Bupa Thailand in Phuket is pretty lousy in my experience. Emails and calls were never returned. Contacting them in person, I was told that I could not get insured on a tourists visa--which is exactly what my friend did at Bupa in BKK. So I went to their office in BKK and got signed up, paid, and insured on a tourist visa in about 90 minutes.

Regarding the continuing coverage after 60yo, I've met one 63yo guy who said he still has his plan which he signed up for when he retired at 55.

When I signed up at the BUPA office, the agent was promoting this point as a major advantage of the BUPA policy (I guess I look older than my age:)

cheers

Edited by Macx

I would recommend Exeter Healthcare from the UK. You remain the age you were upon joining, the only increases being from inflation. Possible to join up to age 79 and cover for life (no cut off age). Been with them for 20+ years, had a few small claims, and the money is always paid in full into bank within 2 weeks. Available to all nationalities. Different plans for all levels of cover.

www.exeterfriendly.co.uk

I would be interested in hearing about people who actually needed to put the policy to use, and how they were dealt with from that point on. I don't want a policy where I have to pay for the medical care up front and then hope to be reimbursed -- too many bad experiences on that front.

:o

I would be interested in hearing about people who actually needed to put the policy to use, and how they were dealt with from that point on. I don't want a policy where I have to pay for the medical care up front and then hope to be reimbursed -- too many bad experiences on that front.

:o

Have used NZI in the past. Very good at covering costs, but PAENG MAAK MAAK these days, so I dropped them.

Had Thai Health for a couple of years, good value for what it is. As a recall, the card you get from them has the pre-approved outpatient limits so the hospital deals directly with the insurance company. You pay nothing if your visit costs less than the policy limit. So good.

William Russel, who I am with now (expat, but competitively priced esp. if you are younger and have a family), are VERY good. We had to make a 60,000 baht claim recently. Sent in the documentation, and was covered no worries. Other friends have reported the same. Send off your claim to their UK, HK or Malaysian offices and payment arrives in 2 weeks.

I agree! BUPA Thailand seems very good value for money and it is significantly cheaper than the UK BUPA International version. Like Denboy said, I declared an existing condition and that is the only exclusion I have on the policy too. I do not take out-patients cover and pay for any visits myself - the direct cost of 2 or 3 visits per year is much cheaper than the premium.

Note the extra exclusion you have for your existing condition is in addition to the long list of BUPA's general exclusions - not the only one. It is significantly cheaper than the international BUPA version as the coverage is significantly less. I agree that the out-patient coverage isn't worth the money.

Lucky

Bendejo...I use a company that pays the hospital direct, very easy to use, no hassles and I have had 3 claims with them, each around 100k.

Now I think they are expensive, but not sure compared to other comapnies and I would like to start looking around for other quotes also, only re the cost factor as the service from this company is very good.

I am a family of 4 and costs 100k for the year, no outpatients or dental, but covered anywhere and fully for pretty much everything else.