Dive Computer Watch

britmaveric

Brit, if its just a dive computer you want I would reccomend the Suunto Gekko. It does everything you want from a dive computer, is easy to use and a good size to read underwater. Costs around 9-11,000 baht ith some discount if you are an instructor or divemaster. If you want something to combine as a watch ten go for either the Suunto Stinger or D6 both good all round computers and a nice looking timepiece as well.. Again both easy to use and with these you can connect them to your laptop or PC and download all your dive information. The D6 having a builtin electronic compass Both around the 20-25,ooo baht range but getting an instructor to get it for you will save a bit of money. Top of the range is the D9 with optional wireless tank pressure sender and capable of using 3 mixed gases so good for technical guys. Cost around the 35-40,000baht. Hope that helped :o

I've been using the Stinger for 6-7 years know. I have the titanium version.

Unbreakable. I also use the gekko as back-up divecomputer. Great one to.

A few weeks ago i bought a D6 in Malaysia. Costed only around 19.000 Baht.

In Thailand you wont find it for that kind of money. Instructor or not.

Brit, if its just a dive computer you want I would reccomend the Suunto Gekko. It does everything you want from a dive computer, is easy to use and a good size to read underwater. Costs around 9-11,000 baht ith some discount if you are an instructor or divemaster.

I second the Gekko recco. I first used a Suunto Favor...it's a great starter computer too. Around USD 150-200 and simple to use. Upgraded to Gekko a few years later when became Nitrox certified. If you plan on doing nitrox in future, just go ahead and get the Gekko.

Don't bother with the expensive watch/dive computer models. Overkill in my estimation and the screens are small and difficult to read underwater I would suspect. Suunto also is widely sold in LOS so easy to service when necessary.

Overkill in my estimation and the screens are small and difficult to read underwater I would suspect.
So you don't know these computers, but still want to tell us all the screens are difficult to read?

Nonsense, they are very easy to read. Agree though that the Gekko is a good choice for a computer, but if somebody wants a computer/watch, the Gekko is not an option, Stinger, D6, D9 and Mosquito (would not recommend that one though) are.

Nonsense, they are very easy to read. Agree though that the Gekko is a good choice for a computer, but if somebody wants a computer/watch, the Gekko is not an option, Stinger, D6, D9 and Mosquito (would not recommend that one though) are.

Just my take on them...the screens and buttons seem aweful small and would be hard to read/operate UW. Since you use one, I take your word they are easy to read UW. I just think dive computer/watches are a little bit of overkill...unless you are an instructor and are in the water daily. Get a comp for diving and a watch for telling the time.

The Gekko could be used as a watch too - but would be a little bulky and not very fashionable...a mortal sin here in LOS :o

Brit,

as a watch/computer, the Gekko doesn't fit the bill, a D6 or D9 will, but they're relatively pricey. Mares Nemo looks very stylish and is a good comp as well, they now also have a 'sports' version of the Nemo which is cheaper than the Nemo.

If it's just for diving and you don't dive very regulary, go for a 'bulky' computer and have a (dive) watch as watch, now the Gekko comes into place as being cheap and very adequate. I've got one and recently got a Mares Nemo wide and am very impressed with this one, big wide screen, easy to read and amongst others it gives you ascend rates in meters.

In general though, Suunto is the market leader right now and is very easy to find and service in Thailand.

Okay looking to get a dive computer watch, but want to limit myself to under 300Quid. Any recommendations - basically I want a computer that doesn't take a doctorate to use and figure out.

Please advise fellow divers. :o

Hi Brit ,

I have a Suunto Mosquito for sale as i didn't see "the deep" for a while and it is unlikely to change , The Dive Computer is barely used and without faults, if i remember correctly i also have the data Cable for PC connection where you can log the dives....not sure what it's worth now, make an offer (pm me if interested).

Having said that i also have a full dive gear for sale incl Scubapro wetsuit(its a thin one 0,5 mm me thinks), Mares Fins( the long silver ones, can't think of the name at the moment) , First & Second stage + Regulators( aqualung), Meshbag ( Aqualung), BCD (large) for sale . The stuff is all untouched since about 3 years , so bcd and First stage & regs do need to get serviced before diving, other wise stuff is in very good condition, did buy wetsuit , BCD in Pkt for IDC/IE .

Let me know if interested,

rcm

Here is a link of what the Suunto Mosqito looks like Suunto Mosquito it is the black one that i have...

Edited by rcm

I can't justify paying minimum 15k for a computer for two dive trips a year. If I could wear it as a watch I'd be more comfortable, but that means Moscquito with plastic case.

It seems it's easier to find a second hand computer on the Internet, even here there are two reasonable offers.

Upcoming D6 with metal bracelet is a beauty, though.

My 2 baht worth

1. look if the battery is easily replaceable. I have one Aladin, which needs to be sent to HK with a 6 week turn around, and another (Sunnto Viper ) which I managed to replace my self after deciding to go diving at the drop of a hat.

2. Think about its ability to to Nitrox. If u like diving, you might end up doing nitrox, and then u need to get another one.

I like the one with Wireless air pressure sensor.....more money, but handy to have all data on one spot . ( had too many pressure gauge on console die cause of tanks crashing on them.)