"alternative Income Stream"

micksterbs

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The later you start, the harder it gets, especially considering that income streams (interest, rental, dividend, etc.) have a way of working and buildilng upon themselves.

:o

p.s. that said, the earlier you fail, the more it hurts in the long run. And I'm talking about crash and burn failures, not the failures that are minor setbacks that make you better or stronger. And yes, sometimes that hurts more than just waiting until you're older and finding out that you want a higher standard of living but aren't able to afford it.

Edited by Heng

Between your modest pension, wife's income, and part time teaching, you should be able to live comfortably. Once that is accomplished start networking and researching other opportunities.

Outside of your work pension, does England have a pension like social security in the US?

A very wise friend of mine once said, "If you want to be a millionaire in Thailand bring two million with you". At 50 years old scratching around for money here is difficult at best. I have seen the parade of day traders get thrown out of their rooms, having to return to their country of origin. I live in Bangkok so I had to endure at least two "pitches" a week until the word got out that I don't loan money or invest in any of the ingenious schemes people think up, usually in desperation. It sounds like the OP is scraping by and will not be able to recover financially from a serious illness in the family. At 50 you're young enough to make money whereas down the road maybe not. I agree with the good advise from other posters that suggest that the OP go somewhere he can make a living and provide for his family. So many people here are looking for the magic plan to live a comfortable life. You have two choices: The lottery or a job in a first world country. Working for a year cannot provide the OP with the good life for the rest of his days by the way.

yeah, everyone is getting rich on the net. and if that doesnt work the local somtom lady is looking for help.

You can build up a second revenue stream online while you are working another job and then just switch. It is not super easy, but after you have established your websites the maintenance is not that much work anymore. But go ahead an work your 9-5 job while I sit at the beach, write 2-3 articles a day and get my "salary" increases every month. :o

Lol, why would I. I don't have to prove anything. Go ahead and do your thing and I do mine :o

I do things not much different than explained on the website I mentioned ( http://internet-starter-guide.com )

If you make money online your approach will be always the same.

1. Find a demand for information (niche)

2. Fill this demand

3. Spread the word, Get visitors

4. Monetize the site with your own products, affiliates and ads

Everything in between are just technical things that are no big deal anymore today. To set up a website is super easy thanks to content management systems like wordpress or drupal that are easy to learn and install. What you have to bring to the table to make money is: A good idea, the time to research if it makes sense to make a website about it, the time to write about it and help people.

Look at thaivisa.com which does this in a very nice way. They started to provide information about Visas for Thailand. The demand was so high that they could establish a community for expats. Now they branch out in all areas relevant to expat lifestyle. The cool thing about thaivisa.com is they really care. The idea with the pdf calender and all that, this is great and the way to build loyal followers. Whoever owns this site will of course make decent money with it but also cares about the people here so this is a site that will last no doubt.

Edited by freitag1

You could become a lawyer or an investment banker - good money there.

English teaching; thats another option. Or movie extra.

Agreed ! I made B4,500 as an extra this year, for 3 long days' work, now if only I could find employment for the other 362 days at that rate ! :o

Construct an MFA site (not Ministry of Foreign Affairs) with a couple lines of text including lucrative keyword, bung adsense on there and spend a couple thousand quid on related inbounds per month. Watch the dosh roll in. Once that site gets shafted, repeat :o

Exactly what does this post say ? I have fair command of the English language.....but this is mere gobbledegook !( or should I say "geekspeak"?

I believe it is yet another money making opportunity that would find the OP in legal difficulties.

It's not illegal, but lucrative? Certainly not always.

MFA = Made for Adsense. Adsense = Google text ads publisher program. Inbounds = could (?) mean purchased "inbound links".

These MFA sites are usually not as lucrative as the proponents make them out to be .. or as the successful ones were a couple of years ago. They need lots of user traffic .. and getting cheap traffic is the key to making money.

Folks who know the web already know all about this. If you don't, an additional problem is that you will need someone to build the sites and do the SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

When/if the SE's decides that the site is SPAM, they may well drop it from their index .. ergo the, "Once that site gets shafted .."

Ok, I've been in the Kingdom now for about 18 months and I'm gradually picking it up. I retired at 50 and draw a modest company pension. My Thai wife is a teacher and we all know how well they're paid. I can see the logic of periodically returning to the UK to top-up the funds but I don't really want to do this unless it's unavoidable. A friend in England said "Yeah, just buy a couple of Rolexes now and then and flog them on eBay!" which, on the face of it, is sound advice. Trouble is, if I could afford even one Rolex right now, I probably wouldn't be writing this!

Would love to hear your ideas/advice please, everyone. Many thanks. :o

The rolex watch scam is an over-hyped scam, you try selling fake rolexes on Ebay and you're bound by the rules to state that it's a 'genuine' watch to the viewers, otherwise it gets deleted.

Also, as a poster has already pointed out, the money they are selling a decent rolex for is silly money. Without a box and proper documents a fake rolex is a tough sell. Unless you like scamming people into buying what they think is a 'real' rolex the

A genuine Rolex costs about £2000 and the price can then rise to the low five figures.

My advice is to save your pennies, watch your cash and sit tight.

Agreed ! I made B4,500 as an extra this year, for 3 long days' work, now if only I could find employment for the other 362 days at that rate ! :o

By my reckoning, that's 1500 a day or around 30,000 a month. Hardly worth it, is it?

Mfa is pretty much dead. If you read the blackhat seo forums you see that most of their mfa sites get indexed but kicked out of the index after 1-2 weeks. Another big disadvantage of mfa is that you always have to make more and new sites because your old ones won't last long.

User generated content is the magic word and a way how you can put your sites more or less on auto pilot.

To the OP

In order to find a good paying job in thailand or anywhere else you have to know the nitch.

Ok what I’m going to tell you here may seem a bit weird, but with the right training and enthusiastic personality you could get paid BIG!, because there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE demand for it, especially in Thailand. How about as “a ghost buster/chaser”.

Your customers (presumably mostly thais, and may be occasionally farangs-so it helps here to be bilingual)- will be a bit somewhat weird (by western std) and often they will probably pay a hefty sum for the removal of "ghosts"(depending on the person that you are helping and how serious the problem is) Personally I don’t think ghosts are real, although if you are a ghost fan or into a paranormal stuff, they could be real, then this is especially the job for you. If you're good in acting also, then SUPER! Because sometimes you just have to pretend that you know something, but make sure you don't go overboard or else the people might not believe you. Knowing alot about "Ghosts" will certainly get people to trust you more. It helps with your career if you also like watching many ghost shows also(use them as trainning references). But ofcourse you have to look old enough so you would look like a professional but not soo old that you can’t walk or chase after the ghosts.

You could start by working at a Hotline of your own (don’t forget the work permit), or from the comfort of your own living room, bedroom, etc… but other than that I can’t think of anywhere else.

This could be a dream job if you’re into the paranormal stuff.

Who knows after this you might be able afford to have the Rollex for each day of a week :o

Good luck

TC

Edited by teacup

Lol, why would I. I don't have to prove anything. Go ahead and do your thing and I do mine :o

I do things not much different than explained on the website I mentioned ( http://internet-starter-guide.com )

If you make money online your approach will be always the same.

1. Find a demand for information (niche)

2. Fill this demand

3. Spread the word, Get visitors

4. Monetize the site with your own products, affiliates and ads

Everything in between are just technical things that are no big deal anymore today. To set up a website is super easy thanks to content management systems like wordpress or drupal that are easy to learn and install. What you have to bring to the table to make money is: A good idea, the time to research if it makes sense to make a website about it, the time to write about it and help people.

Look at thaivisa.com which does this in a very nice way. They started to provide information about Visas for Thailand. The demand was so high that they could establish a community for expats. Now they branch out in all areas relevant to expat lifestyle. The cool thing about thaivisa.com is they really care. The idea with the pdf calender and all that, this is great and the way to build loyal followers. Whoever owns this site will of course make decent money with it but also cares about the people here so this is a site that will last no doubt.

I have the sneaking suspicion that Freitag1 owns internet-starter-guide.com.

Agreed ! I made B4,500 as an extra this year, for 3 long days' work, now if only I could find employment for the other 362 days at that rate ! :D

By my reckoning, that's 1500 a day or around 30,000 a month. Hardly worth it, is it?

Would be well worth it - if the working-year had been more than 3 days ! :o

I might have been better off, as a Santa Claus, at least I have the figure for that. :D

Between your modest pension, wife's income, and part time teaching, you should be able to live comfortably. Once that is accomplished start networking and researching other opportunities.

Outside of your work pension, does England have a pension like social security in the US?

Yeah, the UK does have a state-run pension but I'm 15 years away from qualifying for that.

I have the sneaking suspicion that Freitag1 owns internet-starter-guide.com.

Nope, sorry to disappoint you. It's just an easy and most importantly free guide for beginners I cam across. What I don't like is if people who start to make money online fall for hype marketers who sell yesterdays information for 97$ or even more. Watch out for those sales letters who promise you the big money making secret.

Ok, I've been in the Kingdom now for about 18 months and I'm gradually picking it up. I retired at 50 and draw a modest company pension. My Thai wife is a teacher and we all know how well they're paid. I can see the logic of periodically returning to the UK to top-up the funds but I don't really want to do this unless it's unavoidable. A friend in England said "Yeah, just buy a couple of Rolexes now and then and flog them on eBay!" which, on the face of it, is sound advice. Trouble is, if I could afford even one Rolex right now, I probably wouldn't be writing this!

The rolex watch scam is an over-hyped scam, you try selling fake rolexes on Ebay and you're bound by the rules to state that it's a 'genuine' watch to the viewers, otherwise it gets deleted.

I think I mentioned earlier that I was actually talking about the genuine article. I don't really know how much they are here or in the UK but I assume they are a bit cheaper here. Can't stand 'em, personally, but I know a lot of people think of them as a mark-of-success.

I'm not interested in buying a big house or a flashy car and acting as the local big-shot expat. I'd just like a bit of extra money to be able to

1. Not worry

2. Travel, domestically and internationally.

Some interesting comments on here. I love the "ghost-buster" idea!!!! :D

the guy want to supplement his incum. not start a whole new one.

the best advice so far is to buy his wife a noodle cart and get her working a second job................you see some of the returns soundman quoted in the buznit section. mind boggling. like over 50% of sale goes to bottom line. unless i read wrong

i dont tink fre owns the joint his advice is basic stuff. find a niche and fill it,............duhhhhhhh!

he may make money at what he does but it doesnt mean others will so ezily as he makes it to be.

Edited by blizzard

Construct an MFA site (not Ministry of Foreign Affairs) with a couple lines of text including lucrative keyword, bung adsense on there and spend a couple thousand quid on related inbounds per month. Watch the dosh roll in. Once that site gets shafted, repeat :o

Tried this one. If anyone does this successfully, they are my hero. It's one of those things that looks great on paper. Problem is getting more from adsense than you spend on traffic. Maybe if you're a SEO genius. Otherwise, very difficult....

SOUNDS TO ME THAT YOU HAVE DROPPED A BOL----. TRYING TO LIVE IN LOS ON A MODEST PENSION. NEXT TIME YOU GO BACK TO BLIGHTY STAY THERE. AT LEAST YOU CAN LIVE.

No, I don't believe I have. You have made that statement without any knowledge of the life I had in the UK. I shan't go into great detail here but, suffice to say, I was comfortably-off to outside appearances but with a very unhappy marriage; life was not a bed of roses, by any means. Here, I'm living pretty-much totally without worry, without debt and with the loveliest woman in the world. Yep, may sound a bit gushing to some of you, but I'm as happy as a sandboy. Yes, mikeuk. like I said in an earlier comment, with the benefit of hindsight, I should have stayed in the UK another year and taken a longer view. But a move abroad is driven by emotion as much as by reason and, so far, I don't regret a single thing. Like a lot of people here, I'm just trying to drum-up a bit more on the side to make life a bit easier.

So no; I love England and will always be English but this is where I live now, as well as live.

Tried this one. If anyone does this successfully, they are my hero. It's one of those things that looks great on paper. Problem is getting more from adsense than you spend on traffic. Maybe if you're a SEO genius. Otherwise, very difficult....

Yeah, well, you probably did what the other 99% did and threw up a couple pages with little research expecting instant success through adsense/adwords and omitted the most important part :D

SEO doesn't even come into it and it's actually relatively easy but you need the dosh first. You need to find well-paying, niche keywords, contact the right sites and rent targeted links from them - text-link brokers aren't so good. The days of getting a hi-ranking site linking to you for nothing are virtually gone unless, that is, you have a useful site. But we're not talking about usefulness here are we, we're talking about making dosh... LEGALLY. :D