Why Is Thailand So Messed Up In Many Areas?

mtmiu

I'm an American luk kreung and since childhood have been to LOS many, many times with family and have noticed a practically pandemic amount of corruption, a huge amount of 'gold digging' going on, along with ignorance, arrogant xenophobia, apathethic worldview, pathological snobbishness by the wealthier Thais, shallow media, and generally bad examples of behavior for future generations and visitors that are going to hold Thailand back from what I believe could be a truly better society.

I usually keep these opinions to myself and simply mark them down as signs of Thailand being another country that's still very much a developing society.

But I'm disappointed.

Is LOS going to change from these any time soon or is my dream of a nice society in Thailand something that could only happen in the distant future?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an American luk kreung and since childhood have been to LOS many, many times with family and have noticed a practically pandemic amount of corruption, a huge amount of 'gold digging' going on, along with ignorance, arrogant xenophobia, apathethic worldview, pathological snobbishness by the wealthier Thais, shallow media, and generally bad examples of behavior for future generations and visitors that are going to hold Thailand back from what I believe could be a truly better society.

I usually keep these opinions to myself and simply mark them down as signs of Thailand being another country that's still very much a developing society.

But I'm disappointed.

Is LOS going to change from these any time soon or is my dream of a nice society in Thailand something that could only happen in the distant future?

If you'd looked at Western nations 100 years ago with modern eyes you could have made very similar accusations. A nation can't go from developing to developed in a single leap. It takes a couple of generations. Thailand is evolving in all these areas.

To expect perfection on day one is a bit unreasonable. Even God took 6 days to create the world. Another 3 generations and Thailand won't be too dissimilar to the most advanced countries in both economic and socio-political aspects

But I'm disappointed.

If you'd looked at Western nations 100 years ago with modern eyes you could have made very similar accusations. A nation can't go from developing to developed in a single leap. It takes a couple of generations. Thailand is evolving in all these areas.

To expect perfection on day one is a bit unreasonable. Even God took 6 days to create the world. Another 3 generations and Thailand won't be too dissimilar to the most advanced countries in both economic and socio-political aspects

Yes, things could change a lot.

Not really completely vilifying Thailand. Most the time it's a nice and warm Asian place with many nice people.

Just the culture shock one gets going from suburban America to Thailand makes me notice many differences. :o

You really can't compare the development of the USA to the development of a country like Thailand. I don't think the xenophobia, which is indeed very rampant here, is completely a bad thing. Otherwise, what force would there be to preserve the unique qualities of Thailand?

Do we really want Thailand and other developing countries to be USA clones?

Edited by Jingthing

"dream of a nice society" is something I'm certain most of the ordinary thai people have themselves. As a regular visitor to many

areas of the country, the people have a beautiful environment, clement weather and wonderful temperaments but no real chance to

make something of themselves and develop their talents artistic, commercially or otherwise. I agree this will take many years but

would like to hope not too many of their original characteristics are lost in the process for their sake not for reasons of visitors to the

country wishing to re-live the past or have things remain entirely as they were. Incidentally have also experienced the OP's sense

of disappointment of late but still look forward to visiting again and will just need to save harder as I have no wish to travel elsewhere.

Hey we do have the elections too you know, to see who can do it differently to better our country, ok I admit so far it has not been that great. May be we’the thais” are worrying more about the hot to darn hot weather, the barking dogs/cats/chickens next door, or where to eat, or what to eat …

But again may be you could try to live in a truly 'messed up' country that worse than Thailand for comparison. Life is not perfect and no country in the world is perfect. Doesn’t matter where you choose to live you will always find something to moan about.

And I don’t see the point of electing a new president every 4 yrs likes in the US, if it’s just continuing going from one family member to another family member – well it is going to get us nowhere neither. That’s why I’m still stuck in your country "the US" due to the dollar/bath exchange rate dilemma. May be I will have to go for a democrat this time around.

I assume you also have a thai passport, since you're a dual. May be you could come back to your former motherland and try to better the country yourself?

Edited by teacup

have noticed a practically pandemic amount of corruption, a huge amount of 'gold digging' going on, along with ignorance, arrogant xenophobia, apathethic worldview, pathological snobbishness by the wealthier, shallow media, and generally bad examples of behavior for future generations and visitors that are going to hold Thailand back from what I believe could be a truly better society.

It sounds like the farang who have settled down........

Just move away from Bangkok or Pattaya and your view may change :o

But I'm disappointed.

Not really completely vilifying Thailand. Most the time it's a nice and warm Asian place with many nice people.

Just the culture shock one gets going from suburban America to Thailand makes me notice many differences. :o

I spent a long time in Thailand then went back to the West for a while. One of the things that I noticed and bothered me that hadn't before was the poor standards of hygiene in food preparation. But this was because I'd been involved in the restaurant business in the west and all the health and safety regulations.

To a large degree you see what you look for. I constantly remind myself not to look for problems. For the most part it works and I've had food poisoning just as often in the west as in Thailand!

The improvements in Thailand we can all see could be made aren't being made because of culture and education issues. The people don't know enough to expect and demand things be better. These changes take generations to go through. It was only 150 years ago that politicians in the UK paid for their seats and army officers paid for their ranks. Nowadays that is inconceivable in the UK, but it was accepted as normal not that long ago.

But I'm disappointed.

Didn't God take 7 days to create the world? :o

Sounds like the folks you see when you watch that show 'The OC.'

It's everywhere. We all wanna idealize Thld, and there's alot here that holds. BUt there's also a bunch of stuff that sucks here too. And the world over. C'est la vie, que sera sera, n mai pen lai.

But I'm disappointed.

Didn't God take 7 days to create the world? :o

6 days of working and Sunday was his day of rest. Not sure what he got up early to do the following Monday morning, but the world certainly seems like a rush job with very little after sales service.

have noticed a practically pandemic amount of corruption, a huge amount of 'gold digging' going on, along with ignorance, arrogant xenophobia, apathethic worldview, pathological snobbishness by the wealthier, shallow media, and generally bad examples of behavior for future generations and visitors that are going to hold Thailand back from what I believe could be a truly better society.

Just move away from Bangkok or Pattaya and your view may change :D

Are you saying that those "qualities" :o are the sole preserve of Bangkok and Pattaya? Pray tell us where this little utopia is that you have found that we may visit and sample the delights of perfection.

But I'm disappointed.

You're disappointed with Thailand! Culture shock with the differences between suburban America and Thailand. What did you expect? You state the you've been to LOS many times as a child visiting with family and you STILL experience culture shock?

But then perhaps as an adult you see things with a different perspective rather than as a child.

Would you experience culture shock visiting other parts of the world,? the world is not suburban America! Why do you travel? To re enforce your sense of superiority or to experience other cultures and people. If you can't handle it then don't travel! Do more prep work prior to going abroad so you're not so shocked. Innocents abroad?

I don't know, nor did you state how long you've been here, or what you intentions are. Long term or as a tourist? What is your motivation for coming to Thailand?

I'm also an American. Came here permanently to ESCAPE suburban America. The few occasions when I return to US, I experience culture shock there. The xenophobia, gold digging,corruption, naive world view, social stratification, snobbishness of hi-so Americans, et al. It reenforces my decision to move here.

Uh OH! Just realized I'm sounding like a member of the "love it or leave it" brigade, wich I'm not. Yes Thailand has its faults, but learn to deal with it or be miserable here.

Learn to try to fit in and accept the things that you have no control over and cannot change.

In an attempt to answer the question, I have come to the conclusion that there is a major lack of 'personal responsibility' for the actions, of the individual. This is showcased in the wide array of excuses you hear for any mishap etc that occurrs. This comes from the individuals involved, as well as the spectators. Denial, is another overworked sceniario, even when faced with the old addage, " caught with hand in cookie jar ". A recent trend to sue or threaten to sue for gizzions of baht, by individuals, seems to be an attempt to focus the attention not on their actions but on those people who are pressuring for accountability. The Japenese with all of their precieved faults have a history of how personal failure could be handled, too bad this line of thinking is confined to such a small part of Asia.

In an attempt to answer the question, I have come to the conclusion that there is a major lack of 'personal responsibility' for the actions, of the individual. This is showcased in the wide array of excuses you hear for any mishap etc that occurrs. This comes from the individuals involved, as well as the spectators. Denial, is another overworked sceniario, even when faced with the old addage, " caught with hand in cookie jar ". A recent trend to sue or threaten to sue for gizzions of baht, by individuals, seems to be an attempt to focus the attention not on their actions but on those people who are pressuring for accountability. The Japenese with all of their precieved faults have a history of how personal failure could be handled, too bad this line of thinking is confined to such a small part of Asia.

Too bad they don't know how to handle the the bad actions of their society.

You mean LoS isn't?

Let's see: LoS now has Christmas, Easter, Valentine's day & Halloween.

None of there are anything to do with Thai culture, but some farang decided thet were essential here (or could make money out of it). For me, one of the up-sides to marrying a Thai was we don't have that unnecesary crap.

You really can't compare the development of the USA to the development of a country like Thailand. I don't think the xenophobia, which is indeed very rampant here, is completely a bad thing. Otherwise, what force would there be to preserve the unique qualities of Thailand?

Thailand may have its faults, but at my stage in life it is certainly a much more agreeable place to be than back home. I have much more opportunities for an interesting social life here. At home zero. God forbid Thailand would ever want to emulate American society. I don't miss the rudness, arrogance, illegal drug use, and random crime, which has become far to common in USA.

But I'm disappointed.

Shallow media? Take a look at Fox News. Arrogant xenophobia? What about U.S. foreign policy in many areas. Etc, Etc.

But I'm disappointed.

Deal with your own countries problems first before fantasising about how wonderful Thailand SHOULD be so you can feel all warm when you VISIT.

Just move away from Bangkok or Pattaya and your view may change :o

Or you could go to that northern cesspit called Udon where all the foreigners THINK they are King and therefore superior

The improvements in Thailand we can all see could be made aren't being made because of culture and education issues.

The 3 things Thailand needs are "Education, education, education".

It's impossible to argue with that, there cannot be a better way to address the "ignorance, arrogant xenophobia, apathethic worldview, pathological snobbishness by the wealthier Thais, shallow media," the OP refers to