Confused About Credit Cards

About a year from now I plan to retire in Thailand. I've spent a fair amount of time in Thailand over the past 20 years, so now it's really about learning a few details on specific topics.

My question this time in about credit cards.

I see references on this site that to get a credit card you have to be employed in Thailand. What about those of us who will retire there. Can we get credit cards, too?

THanks!

About a year from now I plan to retire in Thailand. I've spent a fair amount of time in Thailand over the past 20 years, so now it's really about learning a few details on specific topics.

I see references on this site that to get a credit card you have to be employed in Thailand. What about those of us who will retire there. Can we get credit cards, too?

it is rather difficult for a retired person to get a credit card, but not impossible. it took me more than a year in "good standing" with my thai bank to get one and that only after exerting considerable pressure. didn't need the card at all, it was just a matter of principle.

when you establish a bank account you'll receive an ATM/debit card which is also acceptable in nearly all shops and supermarkets to pay for purchases.

THanks!

Until you have established your credit worhtiness within Thailand your opportunities for a Thailand credit card are limited. One option is to set up a Premier account with HSBC or Gold account with CITIGroup. Both will transfer your credit to Thailand and issue cards that do not charge fees for using them in Thailand.