Cooking A Turkey!

thaihedgehog

In the oven at 180 (F) for three days. :o

One word: Turducken.

I've done the brine thing many times, it's a lot of work, at least 12 hours soaking in brine, but worth it. Hard to do here because of temperature-control issues; you can use ice in the soak to keep the microbes from multiplying.

You should be able to find the exact details, maybe even at the Butterball website, re: time and temperature. Off the top of my head it's like 15 ~ 20 min. per pound at 325/350 degrees F. On board stuffing usually requires more cooking time.

It's difficult to do by just time, you should use a thermometer and check internal temp to determine when its done. No need to brine the commercial variety you have purchased. Your already paying for about 15-20% salt water by buying that variety. I do not recommend an internal stuffing, instead salt the cavity well, and place wedged apple and onions, discard when the bird is done. Cook your stuffing separate. Start your oven at a roaring hot 500, when you place the bird reduce to about 325. Tuck the wings under, and tie the legs to the cavity opening. Take a new or clean cotton cloth and dip in oil, place this over the breast area. This will keep the breasts from drying out. Roast in a pan with some root veggies, and some water, and baste once in a while. Check internal temp thru the leg thickest part. Watch for clear juices running, and a slight looseness to the leg.

Cooked many a birds. First of all I have never cooked one in thailand. I am in chaing mai visiting no oven.

The Butter balls in the states usually have a button (thermometer) that pops when they are done. Check to see maybe yours has one. I prefer to take a turkey bag a clear baking bag again not sure if they have here(usually a reynolds product) take some flour 1 -2 table spoons shake in the bag wash bird I usually brush with melted butter place in bag salt pepper and add other herbs but remember they will flavor you gravy so sometimes just the two are enough. place on top of some celery or some onions cut in large rings( this will add to the flavor of the gravy )put a few fork holes in the top of the bag or slices usually you cook at 350 degrees in the oven check a web site on poultry for cooking times depending on bird size.

You have come along ways don't cut your self short stuff that bird and do the gravy thing.

Good luck Birds are forgiving watch the juices make sure they run clear.

Picture me saying "Bon appetite" as Julia Childes would say I do a great impression .

Spelling well.

Cajun style deep fried turkey:

I know, I know ... you're shaking your head, horrified. "Those guys down there will batter and deep-fry anything that isn't nailed down!" you shriek. Well, don't panic -- there's no batter involved here, just one of the best ways of cooking a turkey I've ever tasted.

Deep-frying whole turkeys has become fantastically popular in southern Louisiana over the past several years. The turkey is anything but greasy; the deep-frying process seals the outside and the turkey remains incredibly juicy, while the skin gets wonderfully crispy.

from http://www.gumbopages(dot)com/food/poultry/fried-turk.html

I had this once when in Oklahoma -- a neighbor of mine from Shreveport, LA used to have people bring over their turkeys for him to cook... of course they never deep fry anything here in LOS.