30 Day Entry Stamp With No Onward Ticket

Hi,

I have a friend arriving at Suvarnabhumi airport with no visa and no onward ticket. Can he get a 30 day entry stamp in this situation, or are they strictly enforcing the rule which prevents that?

Any advice or first-hand experience would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice.

Have advised my friend to contact the airline in the first instance, and then buy a cheap AirAsia ticket if the airline says they won't let him on. Although, thinking about it, perhaps the Airasia ticket is a worthwhile investment regardless...

I have never been asked to produce an onward ticket at BKK airport in all my time of arriving. But I would guess they don't ask British subjects routine. I expect if I was arriving from Burkino Faso they might well ask.......

Plus regarding one way ticket departures from U.K. I have been asked many times; and have just bluffed them saying I will buy a return ticket in Thailand. Ask for the check-in supervisor, show them your T/C's or sign an indemnity form saying you will agree to pay emergency return flight if Thai authorities don't admit you (they always do, even if for 48 hours).

This is all 'red tape'. Don't worry.

Hi,

I have a friend arriving at Suvarnabhumi airport with no visa and no onward ticket. Can he get a 30 day entry stamp in this situation, or are they strictly enforcing the rule which prevents that?

Thanks.

:D

As an American passport I have been thru the Thai immigration and recieved a stamp for 30 days many times in the past 25 years. I have had the following happen:

ONCE....In Copenhagen trying to board a SAS flight to Bangkok, I was told by the SAS ground staff that as I didn't have a visa I would require an onward ticket from BKK. They showed me the airline book that listed all the visa requirements, and it was clearly stated in that book, that anyone arriving without a visa, if wanting to enter Thailand required an onward ticket (Thai government requirement). If a person traveling without a visa, and not having an onward ticket was denied entrance by the Thai immigration, then the airline who allowed them to travel to Thailand was responsible for that person's onward tavel. That is why the airlines want a visa or an onward ticket before you board. As I said this happened once in 25 years.

Again ONCE...In June 2007, I was asked by a Thai immigration officer, when arriving in BKK, to show a valid onward ticket (at the airport immgration) to get my 30 day stamp on arrival. Again that's once in 25 years.

So your chance in getting thru without being asked is pretty good. However, it isn't a gaurentee. Decide for yourself, and take your chance or not as you feel.

:o

Hi,

Thanks.

:D

As an American passport I have been thru the Thai immigration and recieved a stamp for 30 days many times in the past 25 years. I have had the following happen:

ONCE....In Copenhagen trying to board a SAS flight to Bangkok, I was told by the SAS ground staff that as I didn't have a visa I would require an onward ticket from BKK. They showed me the airline book that listed all the visa requirements, and it was clearly stated in that book, that anyone arriving without a visa, if wanting to enter Thailand required an onward ticket (Thai government requirement). If a person traveling without a visa, and not having an onward ticket was denied entrance by the Thai immigration, then the airline who allowed them to travel to Thailand was responsible for that person's onward tavel. That is why the airlines want a visa or an onward ticket before you board. As I said this happened once in 25 years.

Again ONCE...In June 2007, I was asked by a Thai immigration officer, when arriving in BKK, to show a valid onward ticket (at the airport immgration) to get my 30 day stamp on arrival. Again that's once in 25 years.

So your chance in getting thru without being asked is pretty good. However, it isn't a gaurentee. Decide for yourself, and take your chance or not as you feel.

With the present regime in Thailand and the new visa regs etc what was ok for the LAST 25 years is not really relevent is it? What is relevent is what happened in June 2007. The OP should take heed of advise and ensure an onward ticket is obtained.

I entered the Kindom on a 30 day with no "out ticket" several times this year.

I once was asked for the ticket when I flew to Thailand, and I said I would buy one there.

Each time I entered I got more and more nervous that I would be stopped.

I now have a properly visa.

This brings me to a question nobody has managed to answer me yet.

What if they stop you when you come with a one way ticket, and hoping for a 30 day entry?

If they refuse to stamp you in, then what?

I have never seen any ticket offices on that side of the Immigration. If they are there, I never noticed them.

So what happens if one get stopped, and have to leave? Is this maybe the carriers responsibility?

Again, I never saw any air line offices on that side.

So what happens if one get stopped, and have to leave? Is this maybe the carriers responsibility?

It is the incoming carriers responsibility to return you to you point of origin if you're not allowed entry. That's why they can be paranoid about travellers without the correct documentation (onward tickets), I believe the carrier can also be fined.

For airline offices try looking for the transfer desks :o

Hmm, thanks Libya, but still sounds a bit dicey. This friend of mine who's coming has never been to Thailand before, wouldn't want to put him in an awkward position...

Tell him that peace of mind means holding a tourist visa. It is a lot cheaper than getting an onward airticket.

Yes I know - trouble is he flies out on Tuesday so no time to get one!

Wow, I wish my passport could type.

The requirement for onward travel documentation has only been in force for about 6 months, so it looks like you have a 100% strike rate. The previous 24.5 yrs aren't really relevant.

Howdy.........I just flew from Macau to Thailand on a one-way ticket. I bought a ticket in Macau at the airport. At that point they took my money and did not tell me that Thailand might not let me in unless I had another ticket showing that I would be leaving Thailand within 30 days.

After many hours, I went to check in at the Air Macau/Thai Airways (yes that is what it was) counter. The girl took my ticket and passport, then said, "do you have an onward ticket?" I said "no." She said there "might be a problem entering Thailand." I said "I had no idea about it." She then had me sign a release of indemnity paper (basically releasing Air Macau from any legal issues).

This happened only a short time before departure. I decided at that point to just go on a one-way ticket (no tourist visa). I just knew Thai immigration was going to give me a big problem. After arriving I went to Thai Immigration. I handed a female immigration officer my passport. She thumbed through the pages and asked me one question: "How long do you plan on staying in Thailand?" I told her "I am not sure but will leave within 30 days."

That was it.............not a big issue but certainly may become one in the future. It looks like they are going to start making it more and more difficult for passengers to fly into Thailand without a visa beforehand.

If so, that will really make traveling inconvenient for many people that like to travel without a set agenda. It will also, of course, hurt Thais that are trying to make a living selling airline tickets to foreigners.....who will have to purchase them in advance prior to entering Thailand.

Hope this is useful for those planning to travel on a one-way ticket.

Look at this, it is posted here as well...

just want to say i did copy this from another guy on thei site

///Edit: fixed quote formatting. -- Maestro

Edited by Maestro

The onward travel ticket has been a requirement for decades. It has seldom been checked at Bangkok airport but airlines have intermittently required them. This year Bangkok started to actively enforce this provision - although presently few seem to be checked, probably due to numbers of travelers, it is always a possibility.

Howdy.........I just flew from Macau to Thailand on a one-way ticket. I bought a ticket in Macau at the airport. At that point they took my money and did not tell me that Thailand might not let me in unless I had another ticket showing that I would be leaving Thailand within 30 days.

After many hours, I went to check in at the Air Macau/Thai Airways (yes that is what it was) counter. The girl took my ticket and passport, then said, "do you have an onward ticket?" I said "no." She said there "might be a problem entering Thailand." I said "I had no idea about it." She then had me sign a release of indemnity paper (basically releasing Air Macau from any legal issues).

This happened only a short time before departure. I decided at that point to just go on a one-way ticket (no tourist visa). I just knew Thai immigration was going to give me a big problem. After arriving I went to Thai Immigration. I handed a female immigration officer my passport. She thumbed through the pages and asked me one question: "How long do you plan on staying in Thailand?" I told her "I am not sure but will leave within 30 days."

That was it.............not a big issue but certainly may become one in the future. It looks like they are going to start making it more and more difficult for passengers to fly into Thailand without a visa beforehand.

If so, that will really make traveling inconvenient for many people that like to travel without a set agenda. It will also, of course, hurt Thais that are trying to make a living selling airline tickets to foreigners.....who will have to purchase them in advance prior to entering Thailand.

Hope this is useful for those planning to travel on a one-way ticket.

Look at this, it is posted here as well...

just want to say i did copy this from another guy on thei site

Yes, I posted the above this morning. I failed to mention that after leaving the airplane and before reaching the immigration desk there was a "visa on arrival" area........does this relate to the conversation? If you do not have a tourist visa and are flying on a one way ticket with no onward ticket, can you fix the problem at the visa on arrival desk prior to reaching immigration?

No. That is for a very limited number of countries passport holders (mostly those with no easy access to Thai Consulates) to obtain a 15 day tourist visa with payment. It is not open to others.

it has to do with emmigration policies and nothing to do with accesebility to the consulate - the thai foreign office needs some sponsoring through visas (payed).

the third cathegory of countries are those requiring a consulate visa for any stay in thailand

It is the incoming carriers responsibility to return you to you point of origin if you're not allowed entry. That's why they can be paranoid about travellers without the correct documentation (onward tickets), I believe the carrier can also be fined.

For airline offices try looking for the transfer desks :o

Ahh, there you go.

thnx

This is the list of the countries allowed VOA: Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Czech, Estonia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, India, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Maldives, Mauritius, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Saudi Arabia, Slovak, Slovenia, Taiwan.

Russia, China and India all on that list? Surprised to see that! So all the tourists from those countries can only stay here for 15 days?

Only if they arrive to buy there visa. If they purchase it before arrival they are allowed a 30 day stay.

I arrived in thailand(bkk) the 23rd november without visa, the officier didn't even had a look at the online onward reservation(false) printing i did.

yesterday i went to malaysia to extend my stay until i can apply for a non-B , still they didn't even ask about the onward ticket.

so don't worry too much, ask you friend to make himself an onward reservation printing, all will be fine.

Hmm, thanks Libya, but still sounds a bit dicey. This friend of mine who's coming has never been to Thailand before, wouldn't want to put him in an awkward position...

Tell him that peace of mind means holding a tourist visa. It is a lot cheaper than getting an onward airticket.

it isn't necessarily cheaper, if you compare to a one-way ticket on Dare Asia, if they have a promotion on.

so don't worry too much, ask you friend to make himself an onward reservation printing, all will be fine.
Don't ask for trouble. If you want to take a gamble, try to come into Thailand without visa/onward ticket, but don't falsify papers.

it isn't necessarily cheaper, if you compare to a one-way ticket on Dare Asia, if they have a promotion on.

Yeah, Tourist visa is 28 pounds, or nearly 2000 Baht. A one way ticket to Penang would be less than that I imagine, or even if it is slightly more, add in the cost of travel to and around London - twice because you have to go one day and go back again 2 days later to collect the visa - plus the huge extra hassle of getting to London twice, and the tourist visa ends up being 2 or maybe even 3 times the price of a cheap Air Asia ticket and a hеll of a lot more of an annoyance.

Hadn't really analysed it like that before but now that I have, I think it's got to be Air Asia ticket every time...

Edited by dantilley