Best Air Conditioning Units?

Targus

I am just building a new house and am at the stage where I need to choose the air conditioning. Does anyone know what is a very good make to install - it must be very quiet, both inside and the outside compressor. would be grateful for any advice

I am just building a new house and am at the stage where I need to choose the air conditioning. Does anyone know what is a very good make to install - it must be very quiet, both inside and the outside compressor. would be grateful for any advice

I would only consider Mitsubishi split-level systems after the good experiences I had with Mitsubishi aircons over many years.

there's is hardly any difference and any advice you might get is biased and based most probably on the experience of the brand owned.

I asked the same question on this forum earlier in the year and also did some research. The answer seemed to be Mitsubushi. I have installed Mr Slim units (18,000 in the lounge and bedroom and 12's elsewhere). Although they are a little more expensive they are very quiet and very efficient). They quickly bring down the temperature. So far I am very happy with them.

there's is hardly any difference and any advice you might get is biased and based most probably on the experience of the brand owned.

Yes ... That's what the OP was asking ... personal experiences ! :o

Naka.

get an aircon with an INVERTER. i think mitsubishi sell some here. mine are Daikin and i'm very very happy with them. they are indeed very, very good and very, very quiet. japanese company but manufactured here, so the prices are reasonable given the quality.

you've probably noticed that crap aircons are either ON or OFF, and things get either too cold or too hot because all a thermostat can do is flick the on/off switch to regulate temperature. an inverter works like a gas pedal in a car, turns it up just a little bit instead of regulating it by turning it all the way on and off. consequently, not only is it far, far better at maintaining the temperature you want, but it uses far less electricity. my power bills dropped by 2/3 when i got aircons with inverters. they are more expensive but pay for themselves fairly quickly.

as for the humidity thing, freitag 1... if you cool the air, it will just plain hold less water, thus the humidity will go down. don't blame the manufacturer, blame physics.

as for the humidity thing, freitag 1... if you cool the air, it will just plain hold less water, thus the humidity will go down. don't blame the manufacturer, blame physics.

physics says something different, assuming the laws of physics have not changed since i studied them. :o fact is that humidity drops because aircon units dehumidify the air. that's why the units have to be equipped with drains pipes.

get an aircon with an INVERTER. i think mitsubishi sell some here. mine are Daikin and i'm very very happy with them. they are indeed very, very good and very, very quiet. japanese company but manufactured here, so the prices are reasonable given the quality.

aircons equipped with inverters are indeed extremely energy efficient compared to standard ones but more complicated and expensive when it comes to repairs. the inside units are not more quiet than those of other brands. the outside units might emit a wee bit less compressor noise when the inverter reduces compressor rotations.

you've probably noticed that crap aircons are either ON or OFF, and things get either too cold or too hot because all a thermostat can do is flick the on/off switch to regulate temperature.

"crap aircons" do exist, no doubt about that. however the reason in most of the cases why they are working in a crappy way is that the buyer made a crappy decision based on the crappy advice of the seller to install a crappy overdimensioned unit without doing a proper heat load calculation of the area to be "conditioned".

physics says something different, assuming the laws of physics have not changed since i studied them. :o fact is that humidity drops because aircon units dehumidify the air. that's why the units have to be equipped with drains pipes.

errrrr you're aware of the concept of dew point? maybe you need a physics review?

aircons, last i checked, work basically the same as refrigerators (ever wonder where all that ice comes from? think 'dew point.'). point is, yes. aircons dehumidify the air. but i don't know of a way to cool the air *without* dehumidifying it, unless you're willing to break several major laws of physics. cooler air holds less water.

errrrr you're aware of the concept of dew point? maybe you need a physics review?

aircons, last i checked, work basically the same as refrigerators (ever wonder where all that ice comes from? think 'dew point.'). point is, yes. aircons dehumidify the air. but i don't know of a way to cool the air *without* dehumidifying it, unless you're willing to break several major laws of physics. cooler air holds less water.

unfortunately i am not and i do need reviews as i acquired my master's and my doctorate in physics by making a generous donation to a famous german university in 1971. since then i ask silly questions or oppose statements because i use the answers for educational purposes.

today i noted down in my diary:

"dear diary, did you know that aircons work basically the same as refrigerators and did you know that ice is formed because dew points exist?"

:D

you've probably noticed that crap aircons are either ON or OFF, and things get either too cold or too hot because all a thermostat can do is flick the on/off switch to regulate temperature.

"crap aircons" do exist, no doubt about that. however the reason in most of the cases why they are working in a crappy way is that the buyer made a crappy decision based on the crappy advice of the seller to install a crappy overdimensioned unit without doing a proper heat load calculation of the area to be "conditioned".

---------------------

Feeling constipated... :o

I asked the same question on this forum earlier in the year and also did some research. The answer seemed to be Mitsubushi. I have installed Mr Slim units (18,000 in the lounge and bedroom and 12's elsewhere). Although they are a little more expensive they are very quiet and very efficient). They quickly bring down the temperature. So far I am very happy with them.

18,000 units in the lounge and bedroom! You must have one mother of a lounge and bedroom :o

Saijeo Denko (spelling) are considered the best made units and they are priced accordingly.

I would avoid anything made by LG

I Installed Saijeo Denko units in the larger rooms in my new house, they are so quite you don't even know they are on.

Can really recommend them.

A couple of my smaller rooms have less expensive LG and they work OK as well, nice thing about those is they have non rusting plastic case on the outside units.

unfortunately i am not and i do need reviews as i acquired my master's and my doctorate in physics by making a generous donation to a famous german university in 1971. since then i ask silly questions or oppose statements because i use the answers for educational purposes.

today i noted down in my diary:

"dear diary, did you know that aircons work basically the same as refrigerators and did you know that ice is formed because dew points exist?"

:D

i suspect you got the gist of what i was saying yet you twist it around anyway. obviously i was talking about the ice IN THE REFRIGERATOR, as in where the WATER comes from.... as in, the cooler air IN THE REFRIGERATOR holds less water.

sadly, your talent for comedy is virtually nonexistent. keep up the work. oh yeah and flash your degrees, it's soooooooo impressive. if you graduated in '71 it's probably dementia. that'd explain a lot.

Daikin inverter uses much less power, I have had a couple of recommendations from friends.

Seems a good choice, I will get a couple for my condo next month.

in my apartment, my power bill dropped by 2/3 after replacing the ones that were already there with daikins, with inverters. same BTU in both cases (yeah i did the math they had chosen the correct BTU).

Air can be from 0% humidity to 100%. Surely, air-cons can cool air without dehumidifying it to 0%? What I mean is, surely the cool air coming out of an air-con can be at 50 or 80% humidity - it doesn't HAVE to be at 0%?

I know my pick-up's air-con is very bad - the air is too dry and makes my nose very dry inside.

If an air-con cools the air just a little, i.e. the cooling pipes inside are at, say, 5 degrees C below the desired air temperature, then less water will be removed from the air as it passes over the pipes than by an air-con whose cooling pipes are at 20 degrees C below the desired temperature? The latter type air-con would remove a lot more water (by condensation) - water which is not so easy to put back into the air. So the air is drier.

If an air-con cools the air just a little, i.e. the cooling pipes inside are at, say, 5 degrees C below the desired air temperature, then less water will be removed from the air as it passes over the pipes than by an air-con whose cooling pipes are at 20 degrees C below the desired temperature? The latter type air-con would remove a lot more water (by condensation) - water which is not so easy to put back into the air. So the air is drier.

hypothetically your statement is correct JetSet. however the status of an aircon you described would be a faulty one, i.e. lack of refrigerant, therefore limited volume of compressed liquid refrigerant expanding into gaseous refrigerant in evaporator causing an evaporator temperature much higher than the normal 12-15ºC which in turn has the effect of low dehumidification.

a tiny -perhaps slightly demented- lesson on aircons with compressors driven via converters:

the energy savings are achieved as the rotations of the DC-driven compressor are regulated by a thermostat and cooling demand is therefore better met than by the conventional on/off method. electricity consumption might be reduced to a maximum of 30%, any savings beyond this is a fairy tale and belongs to the famous collection of fairy tales compiled by the Grimm Brothers.

hypothetically your statement is correct JetSet. however the status of an aircon you described would be a faulty one, i.e. lack of refrigerant, therefore limited volume of compressed liquid refrigerant expanding into gaseous refrigerant in evaporator causing an evaporator temperature much higher than the normal 12-15ºC which in turn has the effect of low dehumidification.

I defer to your superior knowledge of air-cons and physics, Naam. My own inadequate learning got me only as far as 'A' level physics (pre-college), which I managed to fail. Twice. But that means I do have 3 'O' levels in Physics. :D Not a lot of people can say that! :o