Edge Internet Connection.

CRUNCHER

I have no telephone line and need to find an alternative internet connection. Can anyone tell me if EDGE is available in Pattaya or are we stuck with GPRS?

If EDGE is available where can I get a SIM card and what is the cost etc? In Tukcom no one seemed to have heard of it. When I explained what I wanted all they wanted to do was sell me an aircard, which I already have. 1-2-call have a prepaid SIM card, but as far as I can see only supports GPRS. Whilst it is cheap, it is, I am told, painfully slow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes Edge is available - I use it on my notebook.

You can buy on the top floor (5th?) of Tuk Com. They sell Sierra air cards. Prices range according to models.

Not bad connectivity in Pattaya, and I use it all over Thailand, although in remote areas it is pretty slow, but still usable.

12call's prepaid SIM does support EDGE, I use my mobile phone as a modem for my laptop regularly, and it does receive and EDGE signal. Assuming an EDGE signal is available in Phuket, the SIM will connect to that.

As long as your aircard is Edge capable (if from sierra wireless you'll need the 775, not the 750 which only does gprs) then you'll get Edge speeds wherever the simcard provider is Edge capable.

The system switches seamlessly between regular gprs and Edge depending upon availability.

Edge is billed exactly the same as gprs, no difference in simcards!

In Pattaya, both the AIS (one2call) and Dtac networks are Edge capable. Dtac seems to be slightly better, more stable speeds, but One2call definitely has the best pricing.

Both charge 1 Baht/minute if not subscribed to a package, with One2call you can choose many packages based on how many hours you want per month (100 hours for 250 Baht for example), while with Dtac you pay either by minute, or take a weekly unlimited package for I think about 250 Baht...

In short, make sure your aircard is Edge capable, pop in a simcard either from dtac or AIS, and surf away at Edge speeds...

Simcards are cheap, few hundred Baht...

I use my Nokia phone on GPRS, with pretty good speeds. However Mrs. Libya's more modern Nokia phone boasts of 'Edge' capability does that mean if I switch by one2call SIM card into her phone I'll get faster speeds? (She might not like this) but I would like to know........??????????

I use my Nokia phone on GPRS, with pretty good speeds. However Mrs. Libya's more modern Nokia phone boasts of 'Edge' capability does that mean if I switch by one2call SIM card into her phone I'll get faster speeds? (She might not like this) but I would like to know........??????????

Yes indeed!

Count on roughly double the speed, while at bright moments (early mornings it tends to work pretty good) I have been doing downloads at a steady 20 kBps...

You might need a newer version of Nokia's PC suite to make the Mrs.'s phone talk to your PC...Check if she got a cd with the phone, it should be on there!

EDGE capable mobile phones are every bit as good as air cards or the Solomon modems and they will use GPRS or GPRS EDGE with no adjustments. The answer to the question if your speed will increase with an EDGE capable phone is yes, if EDGE is available where you are at.

I have no telephone line and need to find an alternative internet connection. Can anyone tell me if EDGE is available in Pattaya or are we stuck with GPRS?

If EDGE is available where can I get a SIM card and what is the cost etc? In Tukcom no one seemed to have heard of it. When I explained what I wanted all they wanted to do was sell me an aircard, which I already have. 1-2-call have a prepaid SIM card, but as far as I can see only supports GPRS. Whilst it is cheap, it is, I am told, painfully slow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I use EDGE 1-2 call in Sattahip and it and it is not much different than GPRS here but if you want to try it, call 1175 after you get the new SIM card. I was advised by tech support that you always have to do that so they can send a new configuration to your phone whenever you change phones, etc. BTW, they speak perfect English and do seem to know what they are talking about, although nothing seems to have helped my own connection. You should also confirm first your phone is EDGE capable.

Edited by PMK

EDGE capable mobile phones are every bit as good as air cards or the Solomon modems and they will use GPRS or GPRS EDGE with no adjustments. The answer to the question if your speed will increase with an EDGE capable phone is yes, if EDGE is available where you are at.

I have a Sony-Ericsson EDGE/GPRS PC card that I managed to unlock from the old AT&T (US) provider and it works fine.

I also have a Nokia mobile phone with EDGE/GPRS and Bluetooth and use that more often with the laptop (less pointing and clicking as the PC card uses proprietary connection software) and no fiddly antenna. If you need the latest Nokia PC Suite software, it's a free download from their website (I think Motorola still charge). I use Bluesoleil hardware/software for the Bluetooth bit, nice, fast GUI.

I have regular pay-as-you-go SIM from 1-2-Call (no special SIM or setup required) and it all connects automatically depending on network availability. Both the PC card and the phone indicate if you have an EDGE or GPRS connection (not always available in the boonies) so you can decide if you want to surf or just check email.

I have a Sony-Ericsson EDGE/GPRS PC card that I managed to unlock from the old AT&T (US) provider and it works fine.

I also have a Nokia mobile phone with EDGE/GPRS and Bluetooth and use that more often with the laptop (less pointing and clicking as the PC card uses proprietary connection software) and no fiddly antenna. If you need the latest Nokia PC Suite software, it's a free download from their website (I think Motorola still charge). I use Bluesoleil hardware/software for the Bluetooth bit, nice, fast GUI.

I have regular pay-as-you-go SIM from 1-2-Call (no special SIM or setup required) and it all connects automatically depending on network availability. Both the PC card and the phone indicate if you have an EDGE or GPRS connection (not always available in the boonies) so you can decide if you want to surf or just check email.

My laptop has Bluetooth built in so it's just a matter of turning the Bluetooth phone on. Two clicks on the laptop connects to the Internet. If I have a phone call while using the Internet, no problem either. I can answer it. I use a data cable with the desktop and that is pretty easy too. I gave my Solomon Modem to a Thai friend to use. That is his only Internet connection. I find it more convenient to have only one SIM card and use it for the Internet and the phone.

I use an aircard with dedicated sim, but only because my phone (an O2 pda) cannot receive calls when using it as a modem!

Strangely enough when using the PDA itself online (browsing using the built in internet explorer) it does receive calls normally...