Non-immigrant visa for medical reasons

Does anyone have experience in getting a non-immigrant visa for health/medical reasons? I know forms are required from qualified doctors/hospitals but what type of medical condition would qualify? I am retired, age 53, with a monthly pension, and have been staying here for 2 years using tourist visas. I have diabetes type 2 and the cost of my medicine and medical supplies is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE in Thailand than it is in the US without using health insurance. If I returned to the US, I would really have problems because I could not even afford these things unless I found a job with the right health benefits.  So in a sense my health and well-being are  relying on the good grace of these kind Thai reps at the Vientiane Consulate every 90 days who give me a new tourist visa. My pension falls a little short of the 800,000 yearly requirement and I could try and save the difference if I can stay away from the CD Warehouse. I thought that using the medical option might be the way to go if diabetes is a qualifing health consideration. Advise from anyone please?

A recommendation letter from a decent Thai hospital, certifying your need for a "mulltiple entry visa" would do.

In order to extend it one-year at the Immigration Bureau, you have to show proof of funds and/or income minimum 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 in inocme/pension. Same as for retirement.

The reason is that you must prove that you can both live and pay your medial expenses.

Not an easy case! Have you been to Immigration and asked them for advise?

So you are saying there is the same requirement of 800,000 baht .... may as well just do the retirement thing then. Will just have to avoid buying movies and music CDs for 7 months or so to build up my savings since my pension is slghtly less than 65,000. No I did not talk to immigration here. I am hessitant to ask them because my first impression is they would be unsympathetic. Thanks for the reply.

My situation is similar to you, only I'm here in Bankok for a full mouth rehabilitation. My treatment already started last April and it will take sometime before they can complete my treatment. After my tourist visa expired I went to Penang. This time I decided to applied for a non-immigrant "O", at that time I'm not really sure if they will give me one.

Documents I submitted was a letter from the dentist, receipts from previous treatments, a bank book, a bank statement, a contract lease agreement from the condo where I'm staying and crossed my fingers. When I got my passport they gave me a non-immigrant "O" multiple entry visa. I hope this helps.