How To Open Bank Account In Pattaya

banev

Hello,

I think to open a bank account in Pattaya. I am not sure how to do it. There are a lot different topics on a lot forums and websites - all different! In some i read that i need to go to Emigration bearau and the other just to go to the bank and deposit 1000 baht.

2 days ago i went to one bank and they told me that i need 6 months visa to open bank account, other banks was closed (may be because Christmas).

Anybody that can advice me for a good bank that i can open a bank accout on my name with tourist Visa ?

Kind regards...

In January 2006 the rules changed and now, unless you have a work permit in Thailand, you need to have a letter of recommendation by your bank in your home country; or, if you have a Thai friend who has an account with your intended bank (works for Bangkok Bank) she / he can sign a recommendation form at the bank. You should then give the bank hers / his address as your address in Thailand.

The latter worked for me. Good luck, Göran

Edited by stgrhe

Hello,

I think to open a bank account in Pattaya. I am not sure how to do it. There are a lot different topics on a lot forums and websites - all different! In some i read that i need to go to Emigration bearau and the other just to go to the bank and deposit 1000 baht.

2 days ago i went to one bank and they told me that i need 6 months visa to open bank account, other banks was closed (may be because Christmas).

Anybody that can advice me for a good bank that i can open a bank accout on my name with tourist Visa ?

Kind regards...

Banev............what is your visa status here? Non Imm or as a tourist?

Hello,

Kind regards...

Banev............what is your visa status here? Non Imm or as a tourist?

I have tourist Visa. It is really important to open account here, no matter saving or check, i need to transfer small sum.

I opened my account (at Bangkok Bank) a couple of years ago. I had to go to Immigration to get a Certificate of Residence (my landlady went with me with her house book).

At the bank, I gave them the Certificate, they photocopied my passport (I only had a 30 day VOA), I put 1,000 baht into the account and left a few minutes later with my bankbook, ATM card and Swift code.

I've heard that different branches interpret the rules differently, and that if one branch of one bank turns you away, try another.

If you only need to transfer a small sum, why not take a cash advance from a credit card ? At my bank, I can take up to 100,000 baht per card per day (I then zip home, get on the internet and pay off the card). My home bank won't let me do wire transfers over the net :o , so I have to take a cash advance, deposit it in my Thai account and then pay off the credit card. Pain in the private parts, especially if you need to transfer a large sum in a short time (like when you are buying a motorbike).

You will not be able to open a checking account.

Try Siam Commerical Bank on Jomtien Beach Road (The branch near to the Jomtien Grand Palace Hotel)

Very helpful to falang customers. When I opened an account in March this year, they only looked at the photo page of my passport and did not check my Visa status

Kasikorn has on line bill paying. I think K bank has more than UOB, plus you can even set up transfers to accounts in other Thai banks. K bank now has MANY atm's in Pattaya. Very handy! Be sure to get the Visa atm card, not the bank atm.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/GlobalHome/EN/homepage.html

Edited by aguy30

Thanks for all replies!

The reason for opening an account is that i want increase my Moneybookers limit, i have open account in different countries because i travel often and when i arrive i no need to get burned with exchange on the airport.

Kasikorn seems to be very foreigner friendly at the moment. I opened a simple

passbook savings account there with no problem, and I think at the time all I

had was a 30 day stamp, they didn't care. In fact I had to tell them I didn't

want online banking or an atm card (there is in fact an initial charge for this)

I really just wanted a place to keep an emergency stash. If you regularly visit

the branch where you opened the account you don't even need to show your

passport, they have signature identification. I would not put it in a Thai girls

name. You might as well just hand her the cash and ask her to hold on to it

for you. Or better yet go throw it in the street and see if you can find it later. :o

Kasikorn has on line bill paying. I think K bank has more than UOB, plus you can even set up transfers to accounts in other Thai banks. K bank now has MANY atm's in Pattaya. Very handy! Be sure to get the Visa atm card, not the bank atm.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/GlobalHome/EN/homepage.html

Be careful with the Visa or Mastercard ATM's. With those you can go shopping even without knowing the PIN code. If your card gets stolen, you can be sure, that the thief will use it immediately. And then good luck for claiming back the damage from a Thai Bank.

I recommend only to use a simple ATM card, which can only be used to get cash from an ATM. Much safer.

Moo9

I suggest opening 2 accounts. Get Visa atm cards for both. Keep most of the money in one account and maybe 10-20,000 baht in the other. Carry only the card for the small account and lock up the big one. USE A DIFFERENT PIN CODE. Funds can be transfered via internet banking to refill the small account.

This is a way that allows easy access and limits liability. The Visa atm can be used in many business places.

The Visa atm cards can be accessed at any atm and in any other country.

I suggest opening 2 accounts. Get Visa atm cards for both. Keep most of the money in one account and maybe 10-20,000 baht in the other. Carry only the card for the small account and lock up the big one. USE A DIFFERENT PIN CODE. Funds can be transfered via internet banking to refill the small account.

This is a way that allows easy access and limits liability. The Visa atm can be used in many business places.

The Visa atm cards can be accessed at any atm and in any other country.

Sound advice, I have one separate account with Bkk bank, and their visa be1st card. Registered the secured by visa, got the card verified on my paypal account and now use that account for all my on-line dealings. Keeping a low balance in that account will limit damage if anything untoward would happen with the card (either in real life or on-line)...

Opened an account last year because I needed it to transfer money to buy a condo, I was on a 30 day stamp, no WP or Thai residency.

I went to Siam Commercial Bank, Jomtien branch near Soi 5, they looked at my passport and said I needed letter from immigration.

I went back to the the real estate agent who had advised me that I needed an account, 3 of them came back to the bank with me, the bank is small inside and one of them promptly interrupted one of the bank staff who was serving another customer, another waylaid another member of staff and the third promptly started to play with the display that soon feel down, needless to say I soon got my account, nothing was to much trouble, even got a Debit Card.

This year I needed to move the account to the big branch by the Grand Palace, just went into the bank showed the my pass book for the other branch, they opened me anther account and transfered my money in minutes, no problem, I have internet access to both accounts so later I transfered some money back to keep the old account alive.

BB

Registered the secured by visa, got the card verified on my paypal account and now use that account for all my on-line dealings.

You have registered a Thai bank issued VISA card with PayPal? I thought they only allowed online account top-up from a card issued by a US bank.

Has anyone recently opened an account?

My understanding that as long as you satisfy Jomtien Immigration office about your bona fide residence, they will issue the requisite letter that, along with your passport and initial deposit, will allow you to open any sort of account with plastic to access it.

It has been variously reported that apart from a passport, the Immigration office has accepted copies of property rental agreements supported with utility bills in your name before issuing the letter. They allegedly even have a desk set aside just to handle requests for these bank letters.

One thing seems to be true in that different branches of even the same bank will sell you a different story depending on who you talk to and if they are busy.

You have registered a Thai bank issued VISA card with PayPal? I thought they only allowed online account top-up from a card issued by a US bank.

I've had a Paypal account linked to my UK credit card for at least the last three years.

QUOTE (monty @ 2007-12-26 13:58:06) *

Registered the secured by visa, got the card verified on my paypal account and now use that account for all my on-line dealings.

My mistake. You can 'link' any credit/debit card with PayPal, i.e. register that card with PayPal for any online purchases using PayPal.

What I was talking about is the PayPal issued MasterCard. That can only be 'topped-up' via the internet from a US bank.

• 2 weeks later...

One final note to mention on opening a account. Whichever bank U open it at, that branch exact location is who makes changes , deposits and other banking needs in the future will have to be done at that bank for the most part.. You can add or take out money at any of there branches but for other things you to stick with that original bank.. I do not know why but luckily I opened one at a bank with the ideal location where I go by all the time..

The easiest way to open a bank account is to let your Thai girlfriend open it for you in her name. I understand it's a fairly quick process.

Can this be done so that she can't withdraw money from the account?

If it can, then I'll do this too.

My mate didn't even need an immigration letter at the Kasikorn branch at Royal Garden Plaza.