Decrimination Against Farangs By Thais

distortedlink

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been an expat for some 20 years in various countries (now in Germany) the question of discrimination is one I address by always stepping lightly when I'm not on home turf.

I have no problems in Thailand because I keep a low profile and never forget my manners.

Having been an expat for some 20 years in various countries (now in Germany) the question of discrimination is one I address by always stepping lightly when I'm not on home turf.

I have no problems in Thailand because I keep a low profile and never forget my manners.

Excellent outlook, and excellent advice! :o

Taking the opposite outlook and behavior can only lead you to unhappiness and trouble as an expat. Demanding your "rights" (whether real or imagined) will only arouse the ire of most people around you, including other farangs who've learned how to not become a pariah in their host countries.

Discrimination is a bit hard to take I know. But Thailand does not have discrimination laws. As an example if you were in Australia say, it is against the law to discriminate on colour, creed, nationality etc, the rules and the prices apply to everyone equally.

Not so in Thailand. Before I could speak Thai I was constantly charged more for almost everything, as an example, a bottle of water is 10 Baht to a Thai, I would be charged 20 Baht, candyfloss at the markets is 10 Baht, I would be charged 20 and so on, ( don't get me going on National Park fees ).

I get Interest on my money with the Kasikorn bank but I am denied the accounts that pay the higher Interest. I am on a retirement visa, I do not have a work permit.

It is no good being agressive, it gets you nowhere, I just smile, produce the correct amount of money and 9 times out of 10 I come away with the goods at the same price as Thais, if I don't then I don't purchase.

Regarding the bank lady, she does not make the bank policys she is an employee so getting uptight with her just increases your blood pressure and as you found out gets you nowhere. She did not speak good English and quite likely most of your conversation went right over her head.

I guess at the end of the day the choice to purchase goods or services is ours, if we don't like what we are being charged then it is our decision.

Of course discrimination is hard to take because it is different to what we are used to and "not right" in our minds. You have to learn to circumnavigate it.

I put the Bangkok bank at the bottom of the list for service. I closed al my Bangkok Bank accounts and I moved to Kasikorn long ago and... I am happy. I suggest all the farangs in doing the same, which is, AVOID the Bangkok Bank.

i dont like discrimination either, for the record.

but as far as a thai bank having a poster written in thai only, hey its their country and the national language.

does your bank back home in the west print their bank posters in thai? doubt it...

living in a foriegn country, you are going to face obstacles almost every day. it might be worth learning to deal with them more calmly. it'll make your stay here a lot more enjoyable.

There are many goody goodies on here; the above is a typical example.

I can almost smell the sweet scents of nectar and honey coming from their breath.

There is a difference between unnecessarily being impolite and arguing for justice. It is obvious that the OT was just making a point to the bank employee when he quoted, why not print in English these accounts are for Thais only, not really meaning to take such action. Any fool and see that.

Yet I am sure if improvements are made because of the actions of people like the OT, all the do gooders, holier than thous, would not be too proud to reap in with the benefits.

I wager that these holy than thous are the types that if they saw a child, lady or old person being beaten or molested in the street, would turn the other way and walk off without offering assistance. The it’s nothing to do with be, not my business, I’m keeping my head down brigade.

Why not be brave and chip in once in a while, your lives may become more rewarding.

Bottom line to all the dual systems, ignorance, arrogance, xenophobia, stupidity etc....WALK and take the cash with you.

YES, Yes, and yes! You got it mate. The international language that cannot be ignored.

Exactly, my New Zealand bank is giving me 9% interest p/a. Savings interest rates in Thailand(for Thais and Non-Thais) are a joke. My advice, only keep a bit of pocket money in your Thai bank ac. Keep your real dosh overseas.

kiakaha

As a fellow kiwi, I use my normal ASB , ATM card.

I draw out woteva if needed.

Costs 5 bucks plus 1%FX fee.

I get high unterest from RaboBank, 8.2% on call.

Not gunna lose it with starting an account here.

2 - 3% more than NZ FX in banks.

TRAVELLEX is the biggest rip off mob, neva even think of using them.

Normally I bring cash and change at Swampypool, seems best deals there.

Stay usually a cupla months, two three times a year.

Kia Ora

Matey

i am banking since three years with SBC (Pattaya, Beach Road). don't go there very often but have been always treated with utmost politeness. twice i was even quite embarrassed when the manager (a lady at that time) left her office, told me to leave the queue and sit down at the table where i waited during the time she was handling my request. if you look at my avatar you will realize the reason for the preferential treatment was not my good looks!

:o

i am banking since three years with SBC (Pattaya, Beach Road). don't go there very often but have been always treated with utmost politeness. twice i was even quite embarrassed when the manager (a lady at that time) left her office, told me to leave the queue and sit down at the table where i waited during the time she was handling my request. if you look at my avatar you will realize the reason for the preferential treatment was not my good looks!

:o

I've also had that happen at SCB and agree they seem to be the most polite. Otoh, never really had a problem at any of them, bar the one snobby lady in BB.

Bottom line to all the dual systems, ignorance, arrogance, xenophobia, stupidity etc....WALK and take the cash with you.

YES, Yes, and yes! You got it mate. The international language that cannot be ignored.

Exactly, my New Zealand bank is giving me 9% interest p/a. Savings interest rates in Thailand(for Thais and Non-Thais) are a joke. My advice, only keep a bit of pocket money in your Thai bank ac. Keep your real dosh overseas.

kiakaha

Kia Ora

Matey

With respect Sir, you are only a frequent tourist to Thailand and have no need to bank here. For non New Zealanders and Western foreigners that are full time residents in Thailand, your information is irrelevant.

kiakaha

Kia Ora

Matey

With respect Sir, you are only a frequent tourist to Thailand and have no need to bank here. For non New Zealanders and Western foreigners that are full time residents in Thailand, your information is irrelevant.

Oh dear oh dear :o

I bank at bangkok bank and never had problem. I did see a man there not long ago from the UK he was about 65 ish with his 21 year old gf. He was told he needed some type of paper work to open an account, I could not hear all the conversation , In a loud voice he told the Bank clerk he had over one million dollars in US to put in the bank, :o And really showed his """" . stormed out of the bank.

I then went to the same clerk and did my bussiness . no problem. But I was nice to her(think that made any difference) being nice?

U Rrrrr a europlean, if bank give Farlung more interlest, U send extra money back home and Thai people not have.

Interest is your earner from the bank because you have allowed the bank to use your funds to invest and, in most cases, profit. As Bangkok Bank is a Thai bank then having your money is conducive to Thailand, and by default to Thais.

It just shows the education level of Thais in such professions is so low they cannot understand this simple concept of how banks fundamentally operate not least of all highlighting a xenophobic undercurrent that such rules are perceived to be protecting Thai people themselves.

well said, and so true,.

I bank at bangkok bank and never had problem. I did see a man there not long ago from the UK he was about 65 ish with his 21 year old gf. He was told he needed some type of paper work to open an account, I could not hear all the conversation , In a loud voice he told the Bank clerk he had over one million dollars in US to put in the bank, :o And really showed his """" . stormed out of the bank.

I then went to the same clerk and did my bussiness . no problem. But I was nice to her(think that made any difference) being nice?

yes i would think it did, he may have has a million bucks but the peasants attitude didnt help :D

Excellent outlook, and excellent advice! :o

Taking the opposite outlook and behavior can only lead you to unhappiness and trouble as an expat. Demanding your "rights" (whether real or imagined) will only arouse the ire of most people around you, including other farangs who've learned how to not become a pariah in their host countries.

I hate it when one of these tw@ts kick off in the bank and im next in the Q,!.you just know the teller is thinking we are all the same,.please remember, this is thailand, we do not have any rights here so be ready for the let down and you wont be disapointed,.

<br />That is the Bangkok Bank.<br />That is disgusting. And some people claim there is no xenophobia here!<br />All we can do is encourage people NOT to do business with <b>BANGKOK BANK</b>.<br /><br />I love the one about sending the money back home. That is rich. You live in Thailand; why wouldn't you spend it in Thailand, as if it is any of their business what you do with YOUR money.<br /><br />Next ...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This is just the dumb Thai way and not aimed entirely at farangs half the time. I can give you another example against Thais, I walk into a car hire shop and ask to hire a car, no problem "mr farang" I give them the deposit and take the car, 1 week later my wife (legally married not a ceremony) walks into the same shop, they recognise her she is alone she has the same credit card as me in her name , she asks to rent the same car................................. "cannot" says dumb assistant????? why because she does not have a job! The fact that she shows them 1 million + baht in her bank book and she owns 4 condos which she runs a s a business and shows them her business cards etc is irrelevant they want her to be an "office worker" so the company can guarantee she will return the car etc etc etc. Talk about dumb, they sure are, so to sum up it's just there crazy dumb pre conceived ideas ie Farang have money can have car, poor Issan wife no job is no good.

We now rent from a Farang run company who advertise on the forums here http://www.expatmotors.co.th/ excellent service no dumb questions about poor Isaan wife.

Each bank nranch also does not have to follow company policy they can say yes or no to anything as in kasikorn bank they let me open an account no problem but in SCB "cannot" no wonder it s so easy to get customers in Thailand with attitudes like this.

Correct, i find thais discriminate themselves, my wife went to the bus station to pick up a parcel,. she needed id, they made a phone call and gave her a grilling asking where it came from etc, i went in on another time to collect,got asked nothing, just given the parecl, neither of us got upset, this is thailand, accept it old chums,.

<br />TBH I have found reverse discrimination at SCB in Aranyaprathet, whenever my wife and I go in they very friendly we never have to cue as we get all our banking done at a desk. After 6 years with them I have no complaints at all.<br /><br />I do agree with posters that its more about incompetence than regulations or laws. If you were ever to deal with Aranyaprathet's Immigration staff you would know, its sad when I have to show them their own Thai Government website so they can get an update on visa rules. Keep in ming if you ever read classifieds in Thailand qualifications never seem as important as age, sex and appearance. Many government and institutions hire through family connections so competence is often lacking due to little or no skills being required.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sad but true!!

Ithink the female staff at most car dealerships are recruited out of a bar in pattaya as other than a leg over i see no use for them whatsoever ! absolutly useless and usually squeezing spots, applying makeup,eating or asleep ,.

I get discriminated every day I am in Thailand. In Pattaya, I paid double the Thai rate until I got my Thai partner to pay for our trips. I go to a well-known gay sauna and pay more. If I go to the markets I pay more because I can't haggle as good as him.

When we stay in a hotel in Bangkok - we pay the advertised farang rate of 750 baht a night. If he spends a day or 2 in the hotel by himself, he pays the (unadvertised) Thai rate (450 baht a night). Don't even get me started on dual pricing of National Parks!

I was under the impression that farang only bank accounts did not pay ANY interest.

Peter

Hey Peter,

I undertand you when it comes to the market and haggling. I'm not good at it either, but my trick is this:

1. Dont buy anything unless there's a price already stated on it

2. Try to bargain by saying you only got a set amount of money in your wallet

I did this a few nights ago when purchasing a watch for my boyfriend, and the seller fell for it. Haha..

Ok, granted, I got a 20 baht discount which ain't much, but it's good for the first time~

I carry two wallets around with me. One for my notes, and one for my coins. I keep my note wallet in my bag and pull out the smallest denomination, then i pull out my coin wallet and look frantic when searching for enough coins to make meet his price. After that, I show him what I got, and he says "Okok"..hehe..

I'm so naughty..haha..

I replied in an angry pissed off voice, so why don't you print on the poster in English, these accounts are for Thai people only?

I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced discrimination from Thais in Thailand because you are a Farang?

In 22 years you should have already learned that replying in an angry pissed off voice it's a no-no here and makes you look like a dumb ape.

Last week I visited a Bangkok Bank in San Pa Tong, Chiang Mai with my wife, needed to withdraw some money.

While in the bank I saw a wall poster written in Thai advertising some higher interest rates.

Cannot read Thai, so I asked my wife to enquire with the bank lady clerk what it is all about.

My wife spoke to the lady for a while, than my wife replied to me that the lady said, if I deposit 1 million baht for 3 months, 6 months up to one year in a special promotional account, the Bangkok Bank pays more interest.

I said, yes I am interested. My wife said I could talk to the lady because she can speak English.

So I sat down at the table with the lady and told her that I wouldn't mind opening one of these promotional accounts.

The lady's reply to me in her very bad English was:

U Rrrrr a europlean, if bank give Farlung more interlest, U send extra money back home and Thai people not have. So I continued to say, OK, how about a joint account with my wife. The lady said, no, solly, your wife only. I replied in an angry pissed off voice, so why don't you print on the poster in English, these accounts are for Thai people only?

The woman just stared at me with a stupid grin on her face and a security guard was almost splitting his sides with laughter. I was getting more frustrated and at the point of ripping off my clothes, turning into the incredible Hulk and smashing up the place, so decided it was best to leave. I sprung up from the chair and swiftly walked out the bank.

So that was it, final. The curse of the dreaded lurgy was on me.

In the meantime my wife was still in the bank talking with the woman. 10 minutes later she came out of the bank. I said to her, why the &lt;deleted&gt; hel_l was you still talking with that woman. My wife said, that it's not polite to just walk out.

I believe that this is not government policy but a rule made by the manager of that branch.

These people are morons and not a good incentive for those who wish to retire here. I have been banking with the Bangkok Bank for 22 years.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced discrimination from Thais in Thailand because you are a Farang?

You sound as though you need a lesson or two in manners.I bet her very bad English is better than your best Thai i sugest you go back to the good old place you came from UK.A few anger management lessons also required.

exactly

Edited by aehn

You sound as though you need a lesson or two in manners.I bet her very bad English is better than your best Thai i sugest you go back to the good old place you came from UK.A few anger management lessons also required.

Good point, but why assume he's from the UK? OK you may well be correct but the UK doesn't have a monopoly on bad manners.

no, but sometimes i almost think they have.

Of all bad behaving falangs i have seen here, screaming, cursing, tomatoe red in the face, i would say, 80% of them have been Brits.

I'm a Brit and the one thing I hope to get away from soon is the stress level in this country. Every activity can have the word rage after it these days. Road rage, trolley rage and probably having fun rage! Peoples lives seem to be entertained by anger.

What I love about Thailand is that there aren't as many rules and regulations and people are less stressed because of it. If you want to live in a great country like Thailand, don't try to impose the same rules on it as you have in your own country. After all, is that not one of the reasons for moving there in the first place? If Thais want to discriminate within reason, then live with it, because in my experience it has never been unreasonable. Getting that worked up over a bank account deal really is not worth it and its this kind of reaction that can only lead the young lady to discrimination the next time a Brit comes in. Chill out and enjoy the sun dude! cause it's bloody freezing here and I can feel some rage coming on ;o)

Thanks for the heads up I use Kasikorn Bank for my business accounts, its a Thai bank which means its worse than any other bank in terms of service and competency. I have 2 accounts with Iraqi banks that are much more functional and compitent than anything here. However Kasicorn seems decent enough for a Thai Bank.

As far as discrimination I have been dealing with that all my life anyway, so this is not a big deal. I just avoid any place that double or over charges me and I tell them what racist scum that they are at every reasonable opportunity. I wish there was a website or a forum that listed racist establishments in Thailand that over charge foreigners.

• 5 months later...
Well, after all this is THAIland and it's citizens can do whatever they feel right to do!

As a general statement this is nonsense. You mean if a Thai suffers discrimination in the UK then that's his luck, he should leave if he doesn't like it, coz that's not his country? There is such a thing as universal human rights. No country has a right to treat foreigners inhumanely - and no foreigner should be asked to leave if they don't like it.

Isn't it a fact that non-juristic / non-tax-payers cannot be paid interest because of legal restrictions?

How can a tourist "earn" money here? (From an interst-bearing account or otherwise) ... it is against the LAW!

Same in USA and other almost-first-world countries. How could banks report the earnings to the government without a matching tax number/SSN?

The OP should listen to all the jai-yen-yen advice he is getting (for free!) .... it's better than a few baht in the bank.

-NG

This is not true. You can get high interest fixed term accounts in several banks in Thailand as a farang living here. Citibank is one that I use. Tax is taken off at source and you are provided with a tax certificate at the end of the term. I am retired and as far as I know i don't have a tax number, just a name and account number, unless one was slipped in without me noticing. It's all done automatically.

Where to start ??m It has happened, sometimes knowingly & sometimes unknowingly, every day for the past 5 years & is one of the main reasons as to why i am so unfortunately bitter abotu the Country & it's people.. I do however have a Business & Family & it's not as easy as to just up & leave but i plan to in the not too distant future..

You complain when you are at the receiving end. When a Thai asked for a visa to the UK, similar sh-t happens to them. They leave the consular office in tears. Thai banks don't want you, consular office don't want Thais - same same...

Last week I visited a Bangkok Bank in San Pa Tong, Chiang Mai with my wife, needed to withdraw some money.

While in the bank I saw a wall poster written in Thai advertising some higher interest rates.

Cannot read Thai, so I asked my wife to enquire with the bank lady clerk what it is all about.

My wife spoke to the lady for a while, than my wife replied to me that the lady said, if I deposit 1 million baht for 3 months, 6 months up to one year in a special promotional account, the Bangkok Bank pays more interest.

I said, yes I am interested. My wife said I could talk to the lady because she can speak English.

So I sat down at the table with the lady and told her that I wouldn't mind opening one of these promotional accounts.

The lady's reply to me in her very bad English was:

U Rrrrr a europlean, if bank give Farlung more interlest, U send extra money back home and Thai people not have. So I continued to say, OK, how about a joint account with my wife. The lady said, no, solly, your wife only. I replied in an angry pissed off voice, so why don't you print on the poster in English, these accounts are for Thai people only?

The woman just stared at me with a stupid grin on her face and a security guard was almost splitting his sides with laughter. I was getting more frustrated and at the point of ripping off my clothes, turning into the incredible Hulk and smashing up the place, so decided it was best to leave. I sprung up from the chair and swiftly walked out the bank.

So that was it, final. The curse of the dreaded lurgy was on me.

In the meantime my wife was still in the bank talking with the woman. 10 minutes later she came out of the bank. I said to her, why the &lt;deleted&gt; hel_l was you still talking with that woman. My wife said, that it's not polite to just walk out.

I believe that this is not government policy but a rule made by the manager of that branch.

These people are morons and not a good incentive for those who wish to retire here. I have been banking with the Bangkok Bank for 22 years.

Hi All.

Late last year in bangkok bank in khonkaen i see the thai advert for 2% onn your savings, well I had more than 5 million in there earning .75%,, so i asked the thai man behind the counter can i move my money to that account,, No he said Why says I,,, Because you are farang he said. I said no more but closed my account on the spot,,went there the next morning to collect my money, Now bank with Kasikorn a far better bank with very polite staff.

phupaman.

I see it go both ways, I see some Thai's are just totally racist to farangs and also farangs to Thai's. Many farangs talk down to Thai's like there idiots and they need to listen to them because they are white. Also I see Thai's just ignore Farangs and you can tell there just thinking you are just a stupid farang.

Goes both ways in my experience

I bank at bangkok bank and never had problem. I did see a man there not long ago from the UK he was about 65 ish with his 21 year old gf. He was told he needed some type of paper work to open an account, I could not hear all the conversation , In a loud voice he told the Bank clerk he had over one million dollars in US to put in the bank, :D And really showed his """" . stormed out of the bank.

I bet her eyes lit up ?? :o